Found a 1919-S in my pocket change

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Found a 1919-S in my pocket change

Postby ceddy2 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:08 pm

I'm a very small time copper sorter, only hand sorting through my pocket change each day, and tonight came across a 1919-S penny. Made my day.
ceddy2

Re: Found a 1919-S in my pocket change

Postby Z00 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:11 pm

That's how it starts.
Welcome to the club. :D
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dakota1955 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:44 pm

sweet
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 pm

It all begins with the small sorting of your change jar....and only gets worse from there. Pretty soon, you start asking your friends and family to start looking for pennies and other coins....that's what I'm experiencing anyway. Is that a bad thing???
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby MUTiger » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:35 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:It all begins with the small sorting of your change jar....and only gets worse from there. Pretty soon, you start asking your friends and family to start looking for pennies and other coins....that's what I'm experiencing anyway. Is that a bad thing???

I take my change from the work candy drawer in nickles and copper pennies. I put in clad halves or $1 FRNs.

It is a sickness.

BAH
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby penny pretty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:56 pm

when you start wanting to sort through other peoples pockets, THAT is when ya know...
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby merchoarder » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:09 am

Nice find! That is how it starts, just think what you could find in a $25 box, or maybe a $50 dollar bag, etc., etc. :D
"If you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do" Warren Miller
merchoarder
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bigsarge » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:58 am

Nice score, found one last week sorting. It's always cool when you find something like that and realize that, that bad boy has been around for just shy of a 100 years. I just started copper hording and have become toatally OCD. When I'm driving around I eye banks like their hot woman. I even have dreams about coins now-wtf? lol

Happy hunting
Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

Oh, it looks good on you though.
Bigsarge
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:03 pm

My sickness started when I got a wheat cent in change back from McDonalds one Saturday morning in 2009. I was baffeled that you could still find relatively old coins in pocket change. Its been a crazy ride ever since. Welcome to the madness.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ceddy2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:03 pm

I collected common date cents back in the mid-seventies, back when there was talk of a changing the composition of the cent. I always just pulled it out of pocket change, but I quit after I got a gallon jug full. Of course it was easy back then, when every penny was copper. I resumed in the mid-nineties, and was surprised how much harder it was to fill a gallon jug (partly because I have a lot more non-cash transactions now). I filled the whitman folders (absent the key dates), and would throw the common date wheats back, hoping to give some other collectors a chance with their folders. Today I keep all the wheats I find.
ceddy2

Postby ceddy2 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Bigsarge, you mention dreaming of coins. I've done that for years. In most the dreams I'm going through a drawer or box and finding common coins anyone would recognize, then rarer coins, and then coins with shapes and designs that only exist in my head. LOL :)
ceddy2

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing