Coppers

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Coppers

Postby nero12345 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:59 pm

so i went through a few boxes of pennies today. now afterwards i always go through and hand sort to pick out any young queens and kings as well as any wheats and stuff, but rarely go through the rejects. so i started wrapping up the coins to go back and 3 rolls in i see a 1927 king george v. Then i found a wheat penny, then another george v. So then i had to hand sort the lot and found 3 george V, 4 george VI, 3 wheats. I thought of what else i've missed. Are ryedale's that sensetive that they'll accept 98% copper and reject 95.5%. i guess it depends on my settings though right? I do find wheats and all the others in my accepted ones usually.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Re: Coppers

Postby reddirtcoins » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Yep.. you have to fine tune.. The other day I had an epiphany as easy as it should have been from the beginning. What I normally do is just hand tone off of a zinc and back off from the point where they start to reject but this time, I took a sample of teens-40's and with the zinc in the accept. I then toned it all the way for the zinc and dumped in my wheats. Then I slowly adjusted from everything that had accepted. Wouldn't you know it... out come wheats from the zincs I was about to dump. So from now on I'm toning with my wheat samples.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby nero12345 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:49 pm

reddirtcoins wrote:Yep.. you have to fine tune.. The other day I had an epiphany as easy as it should have been from the beginning. What I normally do is just hand tone off of a zinc and back off from the point where they start to reject but this time, I took a sample of teens-40's and with the zinc in the accept. I then toned it all the way for the zinc and dumped in my wheats. Then I slowly adjusted from everything that had accepted. Wouldn't you know it... out come wheats from the zincs I was about to dump. So from now on I'm toning with my wheat samples.

it seems like when i get it running good i have to switch it from pennies to a nickel setup and start all over. i've never had a problem before, i think. maybe just an off day for me and my buddy Mr.Ryedale.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby uthminsta » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:37 pm

nero12345 wrote:it seems like when i get it running good i have to switch it from pennies to a nickel setup and start all over.

Nah, you just need to get a second Ryedale! :D
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tuleja » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:09 am

I've heard many people say they find wheats and Indian heads in the zinc pile before I got my ryedale when I was learning about the machine in the forums. I spent some time fine tuning the sensitivity screw when I first got the ryedale.

I have always run a test batch before each run which includes an Indian head, wheats of each decade, a couple various dated non-wheat coppers, and a three zincs of various dates. If I end up with the three zincs separate from all others I run my coins.

I will usually go through a box of zincs once every two weeks to make sure nothing good shows up in it. So far so good.
tuleja
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing