Melting of Pennies,,,

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Melting of Pennies,,,

Postby Tribal Warrior » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Is it legal to melt down American Pennies and sell in Canada? Or melt down Canadian pennies and sell those in America?
Tribal Warrior

Re: Melting of Pennies,,,

Postby OtusLotus » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:54 pm

probably.... until you get caught!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Kurr » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:37 pm

If you melt U.S Cents or Nickels for their metal content you are in violation of federal law.

HOWEVER.... we have no laws against melting OTHER countries coins.

Unless you have experiance in foundry work or melting/casting copper I would refrain from the attempt. The equipment to do it safely is exspensive and the process is extremely dangerous and hazardous.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pops9653 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Kurr wrote:If you melt U.S Cents or Nickels for their metal content you are in violation of federal law.

Unless you have experiance in foundry work or melting/casting copper I would refrain from the attempt. The equipment to do it safely is exspensive and the process is extremely dangerous and hazardous.

We may not have laws that prohibit you melting another countries coins but you can still be prosecuted for it by The US Government if the other country has a law against it. I would check with an attorney on any thing you think could get you in trouble.
pops9653

Postby highroller4321 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:24 pm

pops9653 wrote:
Kurr wrote:If you melt U.S Cents or Nickels for their metal content you are in violation of federal law.

We may not have laws that prohibit you melting another countries coins but you can still be prosecuted for it by The US Government if the other country has a law against it. I would check with an attorney on any thing you think could get you in trouble.

This is false. The other countries laws do not apply in the U.S.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Z00 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:57 pm

This is false. The other countries laws do not apply in the U.S

You may want to check the fine print in the NAFTA agreement. I seem to recall a provision regarding an honoring and prosecuting each other's laws.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Z00 wrote:
This is false. The other countries laws do not apply in the U.S

You may want to check the fine print in the NAFTA agreement. I seem to recall a provision regarding an honoring and prosecuting each other's laws.

I second that. There have been many cases recently for people in the US and Canada being proceuted for breaking laws in another country... It makes you wonder what country you live in and if NAFTA is good or bad.

I remember in elementary school all the teachers were praising NAFTA. I wonder now if they praise a one world government.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:24 pm

make sure no one sees you do it.

;)
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:40 am

Once we hoard them all, taking them hostage, bit higher copper prices, maybe we can start to negotiate..
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby No82s » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:00 am

Once it's a brick who knows where it came from. Unless of course it to exspensive to make.
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby dannan14 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:13 am

Don't be so sure about that. i've seen a documentary on African civilizations showing people today using 1500 year old smelting techniques. They used a fresh (as in unfired) clay pot as a crucible and stuck the whole thing in a charcoal fire. Then they poured it into a mold, also of clay.

Sure, it's dangerous, but people have been doing it for thousands of years without expensive tech.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasTT » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:14 am

It is not illegal to export Canadian pennies and they are not legal tender in the United States and can be melted there legally.

However, since Canadian coins have US mixed in circulation, you must be sure that no US coins would be in the batch, as that would be illegal to melt.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Kurr » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:51 am

I have built many clay forges. I prefer charcoal I made myself to coal or coke. The thing is you have to have the right clay, prepared the right way.

I have had metal crucibles give way on me and had several pounds of molten metal drop out to the ground and run at me. I was very lucky. I had a smallish amount, was working in a specialy prepared area outside, knew it was a distinct possibility and was watching, and knew in advance what to do if it happened, and why I was watching for that particular problem to begin with.

Not to mention gassing issues. I have had sickness myself from melting metals and copper alloy is not one you need to be getting any whifs from. It can kill you.

I did start with the qualifier unless -you have experiance-. You said it yourself those folks have 1500 years of experiance with those resources and techniques and a whole tribe of other experienced people.

I just don't want to see no one get hurt.

Besides, it begs the question, unless you have an industrial use for them ... why? They are already in a recognised form, much more easily divisible, are already an established currency, serve well as bullion as they are, contain numismatic premiums OR potential numismatic premiums, I mean why turn all that upside into a brick that will float on one manipulated "spot price"?
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dannan14 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Kurr wrote:I have had metal crucibles give way on me and had several pounds of molten metal drop out to the ground and run at me. I was very lucky. I had a smallish amount, was working in a specialy prepared area outside, knew it was a distinct possibility and was watching, and knew in advance what to do if it happened, and why I was watching for that particular problem to begin with.

My dad worked at a foundry in the 60s. A guy he worked with had a terrible accident something like that. Some molten metal fell on his foot. He instinctively grabbed at it and ended up losing both his hand and his foot. So, i definitely am not disputing the dangerous part.

Not to mention gassing issues. I have had sickness myself from melting metals and copper alloy is not one you need to be getting any whifs from. It can kill you.

Yeah, i had this one pounded into my head in high school chemistry. We did a lab that separated the Cu from a penny and resulted in little blobs of pure Cu. Of course the entire lab was done under a fume hood.

I did start with the qualifier unless -you have experiance-. You said it yourself those folks have 1500 years of experiance with those resources and techniques and a whole tribe of other experienced people.

i see your point about that now. But, as a big fan of archaeology/anthropology i felt an impulsive need to "stand up" for the earliest forms of metallurgy :)

Besides, it begs the question, unless you have an industrial use for them ... why? They are already in a recognised form, much more easily divisible, are already an established currency, serve well as bullion as they are, contain numismatic premiums OR potential numismatic premiums, I mean why turn all that upside into a brick that will float on one manipulated "spot price"?

i definitely agree here. i don't intend to ever melt my Cu hoard down. i am, however, going to start gold prospecting this summer, so eventually (with a bit of luck) i'll have a need to learn how to smelt gold.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby Tribal Warrior » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:45 pm

I know the closer you get to the Canadian border the more Canadian copper pennies you'll get in circulation. If you mix pure copper wire with Canadian copper pennies and made bricks out of it, all the scrap yards ask is where you got it from. So a person could simply say, they got it from home and there would be no problems. Nothing wrong with melting down copper pipes and wiring.
Tribal Warrior

Postby ed_vantage17 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:35 pm

If I remember right part of the law prohibiting the melting of US cents also prohibits exporting more than $10 FV.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:57 pm

everything wrote:Once we hoard them all, taking them hostage, bit higher copper prices, maybe we can start to negotiate..

The U.S. Government does NOT negotiate with terrorists! Even the ones who hold copper pennies for ransom! :lol:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing