I had to share this

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

I had to share this

Postby ZigMeister » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:19 pm

My 6 year old Grandson has occasionally helped me when I was hand sorting, but he usually lost interest after about 15-20 minutes. Well he asked me the other day if he could look through a box by himself, so I set him up on the kitchen table with a box of cents and a tongue depressor scale that I made (for checking the 82s). Well he spent a solid 4 hours searching and when he was fininished I checked out his work. He had stacked all the coppers in stacks of 10 in 1 tray and all the Zincolns in stacks of 10 in several other trays. His coppers only had 1 Zincoln and his Zincolns had only 2 coppers...boy am I proud of that kid. Gave him an "A" on his 1st box. My wife was concerned that I was creating another compulsive searcher in the family but all I did was smile broadly and said not to worry. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
ZigMeister
Penny Collector Member

Re: I had to share this

Postby NDFarmer » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:03 pm

That's great Zig, I wish I could get my kids or my wife interested in coin collecting. They all think I'm nuts. Did you let him keep the coppers he found for "his" hoard?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:19 pm

He is now a coin collector for life......Fantastic job.....my Pap pal got me started the same way over 20 years ago. sorting bulk coin.

Hats off to you Zig. ;)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby bman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:48 pm

That kinda brings a tear to the eye don't it? ;)
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 am

Great story! My dad got me started when I was 6 years old.. an Alhambra bottle full of pennies and a Whitman thumbbuster one a year penny book.. I was hooked! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:57 am

I guess your wife would rather he play video games or something educational like that? My son will get his first lesson soon enough! He sees my change in my truck and it doesn't take long for him to get it into HIS piggy bank! Soon he will be looking at the dates and deciding if it goes into the hoard or into the dump pile!
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby FrankieC » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:59 am

Its never to early to start children on a coin collection. My son is 7 and I too put him to work sorting and teaching him about coins versus paper money. The truth is a child is better off collecting coins then any pokimon card, bakugon toy or the next new thing that comes out.
FrankieC

Postby misteroman » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:57 am

my son is almost 2 and cant wait until he's sitting next to me looking through change. remember doing it with my Dad
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby csb3tennessee » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:44 am

Great job! Please send him to my house- I need all the help I can get! My kids think I'm nuts...
csb3tennessee
Penny Pincher Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:54 am

FrankieC wrote:Its never to early to start children on a coin collection. My son is 7 and I too put him to work sorting and teaching him about coins versus paper money. The truth is a child is better off collecting coins then any pokimon card, bakugon toy or the next new thing that comes out.

Amen FrankieC. Coins are one of few collectibles with a ready market. If you’re going to collect something, why not something that can retain some value. Of perhaps even appreciate.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby PreservingThePast » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:58 pm

ZigMeister wrote:My 6 year old Grandson has occasionally helped me when I was hand sorting, but he usually lost interest after about 15-20 minutes. Well he asked me the other day if he could look through a box by himself, so I set him up on the kitchen table with a box of cents and a tongue depressor scale that I made (for checking the 82s). Well he spent a solid 4 hours searching and when he was fininished I checked out his work. He had stacked all the coppers in stacks of 10 in 1 tray and all the Zincolns in stacks of 10 in several other trays. His coppers only had 1 Zincoln and his Zincolns had only 2 coppers...boy am I proud of that kid. Gave him an "A" on his 1st box. My wife was concerned that I was creating another compulsive searcher in the family but all I did was smile broadly and said not to worry. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

F A N T A S T I C !!!

Awesome that you would do that for your young grandson. I want to commend his mathematical skills at such a young age. His accuracy is great!!! I hope you can continue to encourage him in this hobby.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone. :geek:
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:33 am

I was a little kid like that not very long ago. :)
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing