My last "Laugh" , at my last "Dump"

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

My last "Laugh" , at my last "Dump"

Postby Elcid69 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:33 pm

:lol: My "Dump" of 6 months Credit Union's manager approached the window as I was unloading this weeks haul, grasping a small piece of adding machine tape in her red knuckled fist, and informed me, even though she has always promised me it was no problem at all to deposit my pennies in my acct. each week (200.00)+_,
from my 250.00 supply bank, that her directors met and were imposing a small fee for each roll returned of .07 cents per roller in my case $28.00 per week. Being a numbers guy ,I told her, in a split second, "That's 14%" - what other services does your board charge that premium ??, only a blank look.... and then said she was so sorry of the boards decision - however this last batch she would do for free if it would make me feel any better. Thank God, I had another $200.00 in the car I was going to try to squeeze in some how before this all came up, it was a double up from my supply bank over Easter - so she got 'em all. :)
Last edited by Elcid69 on Fri May 04, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to buy " War Nickel's & Steel Pennies"
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Re: My last laugh at my last "Dump"

Postby twentybux » Fri May 04, 2012 9:37 pm

Yeah. Been there bro. Nothing like dumping a slew of coins only to be chased down by the branch manager that he was glad he caught up to you and that "we" needed to talk. Just one of those temporary pitfalls in our hobby. As one door opens, I am sure another will open. Best of luck.
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: My last "Laugh" , at my last "Dump"

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun May 06, 2012 11:18 am

Tell 'em you would be more than willing to haul all their rolled coin away for 5 cents a roll.. so they can make a profit. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby JadeDragon » Sun May 06, 2012 11:41 am

It costs banks money to both buy and sell coin. All branches are either a net importer or exporter of coin, or they maintain a balance. Branches with lots of rtailer business clients (like those located in the large mall usually) are net importers of coin. Branches that have lots of individuals as clients but few businesses are exporters of coin because individuals get broke and roll up their coins, but rarely request rolls of coins.

We are weird because we buy and sell coin in bulk, more than most retailers do. So they make up the policies to control us. You will have happier bank managers if you can buy from the exporters (saving them the cost of shipping out coin) and deposit into the coin importers (saving the cost of bringing in coin for businesses).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun May 06, 2012 1:06 pm

I have found the same as JadeDragon. Some of my better export banks even call me when they have some they will be shipping out. Everything is easier when it seems to them like you are helping them out.

The annoying banks are the naturally ballanced banks.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun May 06, 2012 1:34 pm

Im lucky to have at least 10 banks with machines in my area.. I buy bags from 3 and dump at 7...I vary my dumps so that I fade from view at a couple branches each month... I also sprinkle a liberal amont of chocolate at the dump banks.. seems to ease their pain...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby twentybux » Sun May 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:Im lucky to have at least 10 banks with machines in my area.. I buy bags from 3 and dump at 7...I vary my dumps so that I fade from view at a couple branches each month... I also sprinkle a liberal amont of chocolate at the dump banks.. seems to ease their pain...

Chocolates and smiles. It's a heck of a one two punch. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun May 06, 2012 2:25 pm

It happened to me a few times. I avoid any branch that starts questioning me or gets too curious about what I am doing.

There is a very fine line... once you step over it, they nail you. It usually happens when you get greedy, or start thinking "this is too easy".
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby My2Cents » Mon May 07, 2012 5:35 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Tell 'em you would be more than willing to haul all their rolled coin away for 5 cents a roll.. so they can make a profit. :mrgreen:

Hahahaha.... right on ;)
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Postby GTOJohn » Mon May 07, 2012 6:31 am

cookies work also - a good second choice to candy
GTOJohn
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:13 pm

twentybux wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote:Im lucky to have at least 10 banks with machines in my area.. I buy bags from 3 and dump at 7...I vary my dumps so that I fade from view at a couple branches each month... I also sprinkle a liberal amont of chocolate at the dump banks.. seems to ease their pain...

Chocolates and smiles. It's a heck of a one two punch. :D

Chocolates AND smiles?? Now who can resist THAT? Smiles...maybe. Chocolate? Nope!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing