Roll-O-Wheats

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Roll-O-Wheats

Postby My2Cents » Wed May 16, 2012 5:04 am

Well, this is a first for me...

Went to a new bank here in Okinawa to pick up some bank boxes of pennies. Since all the bases here on island do the penny-rounding for cash purchases, there's not any need to have pennies in the cash drawers... so they have mostly wound up at the bank in their vault. It took me over 2 months to clear out the largest bank (at $600/week), and now I'm onto the second largest bank.

So this new bank only has about $450 in pennies in their vault, so I picked up about half of what they had. Lucky me... there were no initials, marks, or any kind of tags on these boxes, and they appeared to be completely unsearched. :o

Once home, I start slicing and dicing the rolls to feed the Ryedale. I noticed one of the rolls had a wheat as an ender, so I was excited to dig into that one.... and this is what I saw

They all turned out to be mostly 40s and 50s with a couple of 30s mixed in. One was even dirty like someone found it with a metal detector, so I'm thinking that this was someone's collection that they probably coin roll hunted from circulation. Ah well, it's mine now :lol:

A cursory inspection of the other boxes revealed this ender too... It got me a little excited at first, then realized it was just a Canadian :(

My last pickup resulted in my 3rd Indian head cent found here on island. It's amazing that I even found one, let alone 3. I guess you just never know. At the pace I'm going, I'll be completely out of huntable pennies by the end of the month. I'm hitting all the bases that have meaningful penny counts, so there really won't be any more copper left on island if I have anything to say about it. So far I've culled about ..... 450 lbs from circulation, so I'm getting my copper hoard on even being thousands of miles from home.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Roll-O-Wheats

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:23 am

Nice finds...but how will get all of that copper back to the States? I'm guessing the shipping will be quite expensive.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed May 16, 2012 11:25 am

SilverDragon72 wrote:Nice finds...but how will get all of that copper back to the States? I'm guessing the shipping will be quite expensive.

Unless of course, you plan on staying there to live....
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed May 16, 2012 2:36 pm

When I first looked at the picture, I thought the bird was a "flying eagle" coin :) I was like, "wow, coin rolls with a flying eagle showing do exist". Then I realized it was just a rock dove. Still extremely cool, but on the 5 cent to 10 cent level instead of 20 dollar level :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby My2Cents » Wed May 16, 2012 4:46 pm

I'm sending them home in medium flat rate boxes for $10.95 each. I don't pack em full with a CTU in each one because I don't want to piss anyone off at the post office. But I do get about 45 lbs in each one.

I thought it was a flying eagle cent too at first... but MY luck never goes like that.
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value - Zero" Voltaire
My2Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing