copper bars

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

copper bars

Postby michindi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:04 am

Who has bought copper bars? I have noticed that they are high priced and was thinking about buying some, but are they worth the extra cost?
michindi

Re: copper bars

Postby Devil Soundwave » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:20 am

I have a few, and also some copper rounds, but I don't believe they are worth the money unless you can buy in bulk and thus get a better rate per piece. I don't personally think copper is yet at a place to really warrant any big premiums over spot, so I perhaps the best bet is to stick to copper circulation pennies.

That said, I have a couple of Truedex Veritas Truth Tokens sat on my desk in front of me and tehy are very nice pieces and stomp all over copper bars.

One other thing to think about is the liquidity of your investment down the line - I have read a few posts here and elsewhere recently which point out that the big silver bars which looked like a good buy at $4 per ounce are now not feeling like such a good buy after all as they are getting harder and harder to move along as the spot price goes up; and the higher the price, the fewer people with funds to be able to purchase such large items. On the other hand, there is always a market for one ounce rounds regardless of spot.

That being the case, if you are looking at getting into copper for the long hall (say ten years plus where we may be looking at similar prices for copper as we are currently seeing for silver), you may want to limit your purchases to 1 ounce rounds or smaller coinage so as to retain liquidity in your investment.

Just my opinion though and I'm still a relative newbie.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:30 am

i have several one-tenth troy ounce copper rounds I can sell you at spot. they are 95% pure and made by a very well known mint.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:32 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:i have several one-tenth troy ounce copper rounds I can sell you at spot. they are 95% pure and made by a very well known mint.

Lol, it took me a second :lol: I know those minted rounds are really above melt so I was about to jump on that thinking why would they mint them at .950 instead of .999
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby michindi » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:54 am

What are 1oz rounds going for these days?
michindi

Postby fasteddy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:20 am

I have a few half pound bars and 1 pound bars and a little over one hundred 1oz rounds...the bars are pricey compared to cents, but they are nice to look at and a little diversification is good however I mainly stay into the cents....its where the value is currently. I paid 4 bucks each for the half pound bars...8 bucks each for the pound bars and close to a buck for some of the rounds in bulk(100)...singles will run quit a bit more $1.95 - $2.95....check www.budsgunshop.com for their signature copper rounds...best price in bulk.They also work well for gifts...I have given a few out to my gun buddies and family members...NORFED/ Liberty is still pressing copper rounds.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Devil Soundwave » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:29 am

There are new AOCS ones coming soon that they plan to knock out at a buck twenty five, or a round dollar depending upon quantity purchased.

http://www.opencurrency.com/survival-copper/

I'll be ordering some when teh site goes live.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:54 am

Devil Soundwave wrote:I have a few, and also some copper rounds, but I don't believe they are worth the money unless you can buy in bulk and thus get a better rate per piece. I don't personally think copper is yet at a place to really warrant any big premiums over spot, so I perhaps the best bet is to stick to copper circulation pennies.

That said, I have a couple of Truedex Veritas Truth Tokens sat on my desk in front of me and tehy are very nice pieces and stomp all over copper bars.

One other thing to think about is the liquidity of your investment down the line - I have read a few posts here and elsewhere recently which point out that the big silver bars which looked like a good buy at $4 per ounce are now not feeling like such a good buy after all as they are getting harder and harder to move along as the spot price goes up; and the higher the price, the fewer people with funds to be able to purchase such large items. On the other hand, there is always a market for one ounce rounds regardless of spot.

That being the case, if you are looking at getting into copper for the long hall (say ten years plus where we may be looking at similar prices for copper as we are currently seeing for silver), you may want to limit your purchases to 1 ounce rounds or smaller coinage so as to retain liquidity in your investment.

Just my opinion though and I'm still a relative newbie.

Right. It is easy to buy 1000 ozt bars in dealer shops, but quite another thing when you want to sell them. People want them assayed. They will make outlandish accusations that the middle could be filled with lead, or titanium. All of this is to convey mistrust and drive down the price of said bars. I actually had one well known dealer here tell me: "I'll sell them to you, but I will not buy them back."
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:24 am

TXBullion wrote:
Lemon Thrower wrote:i have several one-tenth troy ounce copper rounds I can sell you at spot. they are 95% pure and made by a very well known mint.

Lol, it took me a second :lol: I know those minted rounds are really above melt so I was about to jump on that thinking why would they mint them at .950 instead of .999

here is a pic.

Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:55 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:
TXBullion wrote:

here is a pic.

I caught that, I remember the post when the person thought of it and it was brilliant from the old site. Not sure if that was you Lemon Thrower but very clever whoever thought of that one
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing