Melting wheats

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Melting wheats

Postby scyther » Wed May 23, 2012 1:06 am

I've been hearing lately that wheat pennies from the '40s and '50s aren't worth very much at all (like 3 cents at the most). So if that's the case, if the melt ban is lifted, would people just melt those as well? If the price of copper rose significantly (but not tremendously), they could be worth more as metal than as coins. I think that's pretty likely to happen eventually. So will they be melted?

And if people don't melt them and keep hoarding them, and other copper pennies are melted, could non-wheat coppers eventually become rarer than wheats? It just seems to me that despite the fact that everyone saves wheats, they're actually not really rare at all, if you consider that most have already been removed from circulation and hoarded somewhere.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Melting wheats

Postby db23 » Wed May 23, 2012 8:16 am

scyther wrote:I've been hearing lately that wheat pennies from the '40s and '50s aren't worth very much at all (like 3 cents at the most). So if that's the case, if the melt ban is lifted, would people just melt those as well?

This is why I don't bother searching my coppers for wheats. Cent sorting is done in spare time, which I have very little of. That time is worth more than the value of pulling the wheats could bring.

I have been keeping the wheats rejected by the sorter when doing a copper compare separate. There are a bunch of 40s & 50s, but also a lot of 30s and earlier - I only glance at them, don't actually look through them all. Once I fill up a SFR box it'll be sold here to someone that cares more about wheats than I do.

I know there's a lot of wheats in the 5 gallon copper buckets, I just find way too much silver searching halves and dimes to justify the extra time on cents. If I couldn't find a collector interested in giving me the same value that the junk yard would for the opportunity to buy and search the bags, I wouldn't think twice about melting everything once the ban is lifted.
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ceddy2 » Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 pm

Just like what happened with common date silver, the common date wheats will get melted.
ceddy2

Postby scyther » Wed May 23, 2012 9:46 pm

ceddy2 wrote:Just like what happened with common date silver, the common date wheats will get melted.

Do people actually melt junk silver though? Seems to me they just sell it as such.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby m21221 » Sat May 26, 2012 6:09 am

I don't see the value in melting a coin with a known weight and history. If and when copper trading is main stream many people will pay more than melt value just because it is a wheat cent. Check out Ebay and what people routinely pay for common date junk silver. If you don't have the time to sort the wheat's out then you advertise "unsorted" copper. If you have the time to sort then you sell the wheat's separately for a premium. Additionally, there's always the chance at the "home run" coin. .02
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ceddy2 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:30 am

Scyther & m21221, back when silver prices skyrocketed in the late '70's, people sold their common date silver to those who would melt them into bars or ingots for resale. Bars and ingots are seen as easier to transport & account for, as opposed to thousands of common & well worn dimes and quarters. Now, whether that meltdown was wise or not is subject to debate, but so long as the bullion value of a given coin exceeds the numistimatic value of the coin, that coin will be at risk for getting tossed in to the melt.
ceddy2

Postby m21221 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:41 pm

I agree the sheer volume could be a hassle but your loosing a substantial portion of your potential profit to sell to the refiner. The bottom line for anyone involved in moving hundreds or even tons of copper is going to be how much sweat equity they wish to invest. No doubt trailering your tons of copper the the scrapper is much easier than shipping 70 lbs boxes one at a time.
m21221
Penny Sorter Member

Postby PMLurker » Sun May 27, 2012 11:41 am

scyther wrote:
ceddy2 wrote:Just like what happened with common date silver, the common date wheats will get melted.

Do people actually melt junk silver though? Seems to me they just sell it as such.

Only the slicks and culls.

The rest gets resold as junk on eBay and forums like this one.
PMLurker
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing