My First Interesting CWR Find

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

My First Interesting CWR Find

Postby silverflake » Fri May 25, 2012 10:45 am

I have been hoarding pennies for almost 10 years on a (relatively) small time basis. At my peak a few years back i was gettin a $25 box a week. I know, small potato type of situation. But over 10 years, they really accumulate.

So, over those years I have come across the usual mix of wheats, Canadian, dimes, some foreign but nothing to light my fire.

Last week I had $20 so stopped in at one of my banks and got 40 rolls. But 2 of the rolls were rolled in extremely old, faded pink, shotgun wrappers. I couldn't even read the bank name on them. Of course I opened them first. I had to unpeel the wrappers from them and as I unpeeled, they almost fell apart. The pennies themselves were black rimmed. I mean BLACK rimmed. But when I spread them out in my hand every single one of the faces were shiny, spanking' new 1974 pennies. 2 rolls worth - and I mean almost proof-like. OK, maybe I am too excited over an otherwise common date penny but it was really weird how the rims were just black (from the paper roll?)

I am easily pleased and I found this interesting.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: My First Interesting CWR Find

Postby JobIII » Fri May 25, 2012 10:56 am

I think that has to do with the oxidation process or the paper the coins were stored in. I have a lot of what I would call AU - BU cents that the rim edge is tarnished not to say the color black :P
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby penny pretty » Fri May 25, 2012 11:03 pm

dont think anyone looks for rims that were cleaned, but how would ya do it?
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jacer333 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Just curious, how much copper have you stacked in the last decade?
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Mon May 28, 2012 1:30 am

That would be a fun find for me as well. I enjoy finding the unusual or not so typical. Good find! Congrats....
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing