Really weird find...Again

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Really weird find...Again

Postby silverflake » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:06 pm

OK, a couple months back I posted that I had got some rolls to search and found 3 CWR that, when opened were B.U. 1974 (P) pennies.

So, today my wife and son were going to the bank, my son was getting $5 in pennies, so I ponied up what I had - $10. My son comes in the door very excited and pulls out 14 CWRs, all in very old paper rolls, with "1974 P BU" written on them. Of course we opened them and sure enough, inside is 1974 cents in pristine condition. We split the rolls fairly.

Now, what is it with 1974 BU pennies? Just my area perhaps.

Anyhow, good find. We are happy!
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Really weird find...Again

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Same bank as before?
Is it Groundhog Day in your area?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:19 pm

Different banks.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZenOps » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:01 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_aluminium_cent

Many copper 1974 were hoarded right from the banks due to the copper penny *almost* being worth one cent in copper content that year. It was also the same time that the US instituted the $1 maximum export of pennies.

Even 38 years ago people were hoarding pennies. There was probably some kid in your area who decided to deposit some rolls of pennies that grandma kept.

In Canada, we have an extraordinarily high number of 1978 and 1979 that are in AU/BU condition because 1980/81 were the years that they reduced the size from 3.24 grams to 2.8 grams and then 2.5 grams after that.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 am

It is interesting to note the BU coppers you find, I've found that 1972 is also a good year.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing