Deceased Husband's Collection

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Deceased Husband's Collection

Postby Dinero2005 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Now I've mentioned before that I work in a financial institution which makes it easy to get penny bags for sorting. Through sorting I've gotten into hunting for silver halves and even the tellers have brought me a few silver coins here and there. Today a woman came to the branch with a large purse sized bag full of her deceased husband's coin collection and asked one of our service reps to refer her someone to help her with value so she's not taken advantage of when she sells. They naturally referred her to me because of my modest collection.

I start looking through and finding everything from indian heads as far back as 1859, merc dimes, quarters, dollars, you name it. Anyway, here's the thing. She has a few pages inventorying everything and I offered to do some research and I'd make her a fair offer. I was sure to set her expectation that she would not be getting full value for anything but I would not take advantage of her situation. Granted her husband died 14 years ago and these have been sitting around for that long.

Help!

What's a good resource for values? I have a copy of The Red Book but the values in there seem high. I've used coinflation.com for coins that I could but many are older than they calculate values. Once I have a value what do you feel is a fair offer in this situation? My goal is to be fair yet get a good deal. Win-win...

This would be the first time I'd pay more than face value for a coin so I'm a little nervous. :oops:
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Deceased Husband's Collection

Postby fb101 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:44 pm

depending on how many, I think the best idea of retail value is ebay completed sales, else, find a grey sheet.
even picking up coins magazine will help you figure out which ones need further research and which are bullion
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Offer the APMEX buy price for the silver bullion, totalling the face value without examining any dates. Tell her you really aren't interested in any of the other items, but if she'd like to throw out a price (once you tell her the face value) you would consider it. If it's too high, walk away. If it's reasonable, then take it. If, in your opinion it's too low, then offer to throw in another $20 or so and you'll both be pleased.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby NHsorter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:08 pm

The link below is a good resource too. I think that the advise above from FB and Beau is good.

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:10 pm

i think the apmex buy price is a good reference.

of course, they only buy the more liquid items, and frankly if they are not buying it then its probably not worth your time either. of course there are folk here who will buy collectible but illiquid coins but its a hassle and imho a poor investment.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jacer333 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:16 pm

NHsorter wrote:The link below is a good resource too. I think that the advise above from FB and Beau is good.

http://www.numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

+1 to this...

IMO numismedia is the most accurate and most easily accessible resource to determine fair coin values. You don't need to be an expert grader either, with a little knowledge you can tell the approximate grade and choose the more modest value to add to your total calculations.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 pm

Be careful using numismedia for common lower grade (under XF especially) stuff as:

#1: It is WILDLY inaccurate

#2: The market has a HUGE buy-sell spread on common circulated stuff. I.e. you might have to pay a dealer $10 but you will be lucky to sell your version for $2.
barrytrot

Postby penny pretty » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:18 am

sorry about being blunt, but how old is she? Does she need quick cash? Does she have the time to carefully research all the coins? If she is reasonably healthy, and financially secure, why not tell her to take up a new hobby? find out what the "family jewels" are worth?
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:39 am

Apmex buy price on the silver, and offer a little above blue book on the rest?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Dinero2005 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:51 am

I sincerely appreciate the advice! The numismedia site is much easier to navigate than the Red Book but I agree that some of the common wheats and a few other things seem high. Until I met this woman I had no interest in paying more than face value for coins. An opportunity like this is hard to pass up. Most of what she has listed is fairly common but there are a couple that I'd really love to get my hands on. She knows she has value there. I think she was looking for a convenient place to unload all of it. Money isn't an issue for her and since she's been sitting on it for 14 years I don't think she'd give it away. Besides the fact that she came to where I work I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I tried to take advantage of her. I want to help her out and If I can get a good deal at the same time I'll be happy. Especially if I can get ahold of that 1877 Indian Head. :D
Dinero2005
Penny Sorter Member

Postby creshka46 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:03 pm

In addition to numismedia, I us the following cite:

http://www.coinstudy.com/

usually between the two I can come to an idea of fair value
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46