Tips for Ebay

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Tips for Ebay

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:48 am

I realized that I should have read the eBay rules more carefully when one of my mini-CTU's was removed for being a duplicate listing :oops:

So in order to have two similar auctions up at once I decided to add some wheat pennies to the second auction, use a different picture, ask a different price etc. So far it seems to have been OK. What other strategies have you guys used to list as many copper auctions as possible without breaking the rules? Thanks!
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Re: Tips for Ebay

Postby jacer333 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:56 am

If you are listing fixed price, you should be able to specify a quantity and in effect, list several of the item at once.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:34 am

jacer333 wrote:If you are listing fixed price, you should be able to specify a quantity and in effect, list several of the item at once.

He is talking about so it looks like more listings than there are. Maybe another ebay account but that might be a violation.
As far i as i know, a slight variation in product/offering is the only way around it
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tinhorn » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:23 pm

TXBullion wrote:As far i as i know, a slight variation in product/offering is the only way around it

Works for me. I have some listings with numbers spelled out (two hundred) and some using numerals (200). I use different listing images to confuse the eBay vigilantes, but my descriptions are identical.

And it's my understanding that eBay allows up to four accounts. I have four but only use two now--one for bullion, one for wheats. Gonna use a third one later if I start selling some of my antique books or other non-penny items. To build up a little quick feedback, search out some of the Chinese electronics auctions. I've purchased goodies for as little as 6c including shipping!
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:52 pm

I guess I haven't read the rules in a while. Maybe because the high fees and other new rules have pretty much discouraged me from listing anything. In the old days you were allowed 5 similar listings. You also do them in different categories like copper bullion, pennies, bulk lots. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby cesariojpn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:16 am

eBay? Following the rules?

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:43 am

[quote="tinhorn"][quote="TXBullion"] I use different listing images to confuse the eBay vigilantes, but my descriptions are identical.

[quote]

:lol: I'll abide by the rules, but it's pretty obvious after reading them that they can be interpreted very broadly.
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:08 am

Derek.Sheriff wrote::lol: I'll abide by the rules, but it's pretty obvious after reading them that they can be interpreted very broadly.

Or you could just decide you don't like the rules.. and take your pennies and go home.. Don't play! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby GGerrands » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:33 pm

Anyone ever have any luck selling copper penny bullion on eCrater?
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Chief » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:11 pm

I recently had a problem with ebay with 4 identical items, not Mini-CTU's. The thing I had to do was list the 4 items, but not have a fixed price.
I've got 6 or 7 identical Mini-CTU's up right now, but without the fixed price. No problems! :)
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:02 pm

Chief wrote:The thing I had to do was list the 4 items, but not have a fixed price.
I've got 6 or 7 identical Mini-CTU's up right now, but without the fixed price. No problems! :)

That seems to be the secret. I just listed a few duplicate auctions (to take advantage of the free 50 listings--today's the last day of the month) and dropped the Buy-It-Now option. It worked for me, too!
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:16 pm

I was looking around on ebay and saw $50.00 face at $92.00 plus shipping!! dayyuumm.
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Derek.Sheriff » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:20 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
Derek.Sheriff wrote::lol: I'll abide by the rules, but it's pretty obvious after reading them that they can be interpreted very broadly.

Or you could just decide you don't like the rules.. and take your pennies and go home.. Don't play! :mrgreen:

Well, eBay has it's pros as well as its cons. Maybe as the market expands I won't need eBay anymore. But for now anyway...
Derek.Sheriff
Penny Collector Member

Postby thripp » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:54 am

I sold a CTU for $176 + $12.50 shipping on eBay today. It was an auction at 159.99 with buy it now at 176 so eBay/PayPal take over $20 in fees though... they're always the real winners.
thripp
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing