Question(s) for the Ryedalers

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Question(s) for the Ryedalers

Postby Engineer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:17 am

Before I run off to the LCS to buy a nice indian head...

Have any of you experimented with an IH or early wheat cent in the comparator to pick up those coins? If so, did it do a good job of picking up the 95%?

I'd love to hear of any similar experiments you've tried and what the outcomes were.
Last edited by Engineer on Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Question(s) for the Ryedalers

Postby doug » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:25 am

IHs have given me poor results with the copper pull. I think the copper content from back them was all over the place.

Doug
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:43 am

I seem to remember that guys that did this had their best luck with 1907 Indian cent. I have not done it.. I just pluck them out of that nice shiny bed of zincs.

You could always just buy a nice Indian from another member here. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby slickeast » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:00 am

My method is to use a zinc accept on the first run. This should reject everything that isn't a zinc. Then I do a copper accept on a different Ryedale.( I have 4 Ryedales) The second run keeps all coppers and rejects anything that isn't. I usually have a handful of coins that got rejected. I have found IH's and early wheats. The 1936 being the most common.

If you want to experiment, get a sample of 250 mixed coins including wheats from the teens to the 50's and a few different date IH's. Run them using different reference coins and check the results.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thripp » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:03 pm

I started out double-sorting all the pennies, first with a copper penny and the sensitivity at minimum. Then I would sort the rejects with a zinc penny and the sensitivity turned up a third, and then the coppers with a copper penny and the sensitivity turned up a third. This works well but I was getting tired of it so I considered changing to doing the zinc sort first and then only sorting the rejects for copper, with the sensitivity turned up a third all the time. That way, I would only be double-sorting 20 or 25% of the pennies, and whatever was left over from both sorts would be older wheats, indian heads, mis-read coppers, stray zincs, corroded or mutilated coins, and steel Canadians.

I asked Andy about this and he said "I sort everything first with the 1/3 sensitivity and a zinc penny, then do the copper search. Not so much for the wear out factor of the machine, but mostly for the time savings."

So, this is what I do all the time now. It saves a lot of time, and I do get a lot of wheats, Indian Heads occasionally, and even dimes sometimes. There is some hand-searching at the end but it's less than 1% of the initial batch.
thripp
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll try some of your methods and see how they work. :)
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby camtender » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:12 pm

slickeast wrote:My method is to use a zinc accept on the first run. This should reject everything that isn't a zinc. Then I do a copper accept on a different Ryedale.( I have 4 Ryedales) The second run keeps all coppers and rejects anything that isn't. I usually have a handful of coins that got rejected. I have found IH's and early wheats. The 1936 being the most common.

If you want to experiment, get a sample of 250 mixed coins including wheats from the teens to the 50's and a few different date IH's. Run them using different reference coins and check the results.

what he said......
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing