Are numis all crazy? Or just 25% of them?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Are numis all crazy? Or just 25% of them?

Postby tinhorn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:32 pm

I got hurt this spring and couldn't work, including lifting boxes of pennies. So there's been no penny-sorting or other income all summer long. By August money was getting damned tight, so I decided to sell the wheats I've accumulated. Offered them on eBay in 2-pound (300 coin) lots. Sold 'em all--JUST TWELVE AUCTIONS--and tonight I got two complaints plus one Negative--my first Neg in 5 years and nearly 700 transactions. Three crybabies out of twelve damned auctions. That's a 25% crybaby rate for buyers of wheats, compared to ZERO complaints (not counting one fraud attempt) for buyers of over a TON of bullion pennies.

From now on I'm just throwing the wheats in with the rest of the bullion coins. Screw those whiners. I guess I'm lucky the folks who reported getting 1909 and 1919 coins didn't complain about how worn they were.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Are numis all crazy? Or just 25% of them?

Postby NDFarmer » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:36 pm

What were their complaints? Of the 300 coins you sent them 200 of them weren't from the teens and twenties?
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby stlouiscoin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:51 pm

I hate those people... They freaking coplain their heads off if they don't get 99% pre-40s. The rest of what I would like to say is not fit for this great forum.
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Yes, enlighten us as to the nature of the complaints?

Generally non-legitimate "negatives" can be removed if you muscle through the 30+ layers of automated-non-helpful support eBay has.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tinhorn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Cute Bag.... Extremely Fast Shipping....But the coins are not looking so good my friend...I figured they would be all 40's and 50's...I bought them to resell...but after going through only half of "one bag"...I'm working on a ratio of about 80% severely Cleaned and/or damaged coins. I could never send these out to my customers. Once they are damaged to this point, they can only be sold as culls...

You cleaned the pennies making them worthless as far as someone who is collecting them. Should have read a little numismatics, and further someone did cull them leaving only one 1939s on any pennies below 1940. They are only worth the copper value and as far as the one 1939s it is not worth very much either. Shouldn't have cleaned them or at least stated in your add that they had been cleaned, but ;you certainly wouldn't have gotten $26. for them. They are proabally going for about .03 each and at 315, that would be $9.45. You need to do something with the price I paid. A full refund would be great but unthinkable but a partial refund of $10. and I will keep them and not have to pay postage to send them back. Just a thought if you have another solution I'm ready to hear it. But I think what I paid is excessive and the price needs to be adjusted. thanking you in advance.

Almost sounds like a couple of dealers trying to play sharp with a low-FB newbie.

You can see the FB at http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d ... llFeedback Guy doesn't say WHAT his beef is. To add to my annoyance, this is a new account, so this one Neg dropped my FB to 96%.
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Actually tinhorn, I am siding with the people you quoted. :(

If you cleaned them, which I remember the "Tinhorn system" did include a "cleaning station" that's definitely something you need to mention.

And selling "unsearched' means at least 2x the selling price so you need to make sure that someone doesn't get a full bag of CLEANED 40's/50's. I wouldn't complain, but I think MOST PEOPLE would.
barrytrot

Postby Thogey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:03 pm

I would not pay more than melt for cleaned Wheats.

There are 100's on millions of G-VG ones available.

Just an honest question. Why do you clean your cents?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:00 am

It happens. Sounds like a good reason not to sell on the Bay. Actually, I got a negative several years ago on copper bullion cents. The buyer didn't think there were enough S mint cents in the bag.. even though there were several BU rolls of copper cents, including a few S rolls. First he tried to get me to send him 50 rolls of S cents.. and then he negged me. You can't make everybody happy.

I do agree with the other members here though. I was thinking of your fancy cleaning system as I read this, and I was hoping you hadn't cleaned them.. then I found out you did clean them. Folks that are looking for numi coins never want them cleaned. I can understand why they weren't happy. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Verbane » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:10 am

barrytrot wrote: I wouldn't complain, but I think MOST PEOPLE would.

I think the crazy ones are the 75% that didn't complain. You're lucky you ended with the few negatives you got.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby tinhorn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:46 am

Egads--I should have mentioned that I washed them! Didn't even think about it--my impression of cleaning coins involved using tools and brushes and chemicals with hyphenated 50-letter names and four-day soakings. But I now recall searching IH prices on the 'Bay, and the guy that was getting the highest prices mentioned that they were cleaned coins even though they still carried their patina, as do mine. Thanks for the input, guys.

Thogey, I started washing them because their filthiness grossed me out. Some of them actually scratched the glass on the Tinhorn Wheat Separator. Then I discovered that washed of their slime, they fed better through the sorter, with fewer jams and greater accuracy. So now I consider it preventive maintenance for the Ryedales.

NDFarmer wrote:What were their complaints? Of the 300 coins you sent them 200 of them weren't from the teens and twenties?

Pretty much.
thank you for you timely response and technically you were covered under the unsearched because there was an ample supply of 1920's and 1930's unfortunately no teens and only the one mint mark. Mos sellers I would hold accountable in the feedback, certainly your feedback will be very positive. Thanks again for answering as quickly as you did.

The other guy is complaining that they were all culls with sidewalk rash and cuts. Baloney. I think this is a variation of the "empty box" scam--they search through the coins, then complain until they get a refund. Well, lesson learned.
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:06 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:It happens. Sounds like a good reason not to sell on the Bay. Actually, I got a negative several years ago on copper bullion cents. The buyer didn't think there were enough S mint cents in the bag.. even though there were several BU rolls of copper cents, including a few S rolls. First he tried to get me to send him 50 rolls of S cents.. and then he negged me. You can't make everybody happy.

I do agree with the other members here though. I was thinking of your fancy cleaning system as I read this, and I was hoping you hadn't cleaned them.. then I found out you did clean them. Folks that are looking for numi coins never want them cleaned. I can understand why they weren't happy. :mrgreen:

I'm sorry.... he wanted FIFTY ROLLS of s-mints in a copper cent listing??? what scum-bag.
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:50 am

stlouiscoin wrote:
I'm sorry.... he wanted FIFTY ROLLS of s-mints in a copper cent listing??? what scum-bag.

He said he could get those same coins at the bank. Guess that's what he should have done then. Of course it does take some time to pull out all those pesky zincs they try to mix in.. and very few of us get OBW BU copper rolls. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby exbingoaddict » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:52 pm

When selling on ebay, a rule of thumb for your listings. Disclose, disclose, and disclose on your items. See you figured that out on the cleaned part.

I've sold bulk 40 and 50s a couple times on the bay. However, I put in the listing, they were 40's and 50's. And if you ever do numi items. Photos, photos, and photos. Best way to avoid unhappy buyers is the more information the better.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing