Will Copper Keep up With Silver and Gold?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Can Copper Beat Silver or Gold?

1. Yes
9%
2. No
13%
3. Copper is a base metal, it will never do as well as precious metals
56%
4. Not in this economy
22%

Total votes : 45

Will Copper Keep up With Silver and Gold?

Postby beauanderos » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:49 am

We all understand that it pays to hedge your inflationary bets by hoarding both copper and nickel, as well as silver and gold. In a coming hyperinflationary scenario... would you think that copper, percentage wise, will do as well as either silver or gold in gains? What percentages do you allocate in your "holdings" between copper, nickel, silver, gold, platinum, and palladium?

New contest below... ALL members eligible, no longer restricted to just noobies. Come one, Play all :D

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17647&p=167240#p167240
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Will Copper Keep up With Silver and Gold?

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:58 am

I started to click #2 but after reading all #4 fits the best. I just got $85 of hoarded pre 1974 cents from the bank http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17750 and in 1974 a cent was worth face in copper and after 40 years its 2.--x. Look at junk silver after 40 years.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Can copper beat gold and silver... I think it definately can in the right economic environment. Will it is a whole other can of beans there ;)
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby madcow » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:33 am

The way I look at it, if the dollar collapses the demand for precious metals will go through the roof. With gold trading at $5,000 - $10,000 per ounce and silver at $250 - $500 per ounce, everyone who holds precious metals will realize that Gold and Silver are a great storehouse for wealth ... but very difficult to spend on small everyday purchases. If you need to barter for big items, sure a couple ounces of silver or an ounce of gold can buy something big ... but what if you need a dozen eggs, a loaf of bread, and a gallon of milk? You aren't going to give the guy a ounce of gold ... or even a silver dollar ... but a handful of copper pennies will work. There are so many coppers out in circulation and almost eveyone has a penny jar that in a financial meltdown I believe the penny could become a primary medium of exchange. Look at old grocery store adds from the early 1900s ... a couple dollars in pennies had significant buying power.
madcow

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:24 am

It's a base metal, perfect for what it is intended to do as described by madcow above. Store copper by the ton. Silver by the hundredweight and gold by the ounce.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:19 pm

I say store them all by the ton!

I would imagine there are people here with a ton of silver. I'm never really sure how to convert from "troy ounces to tons" but the google search revealed only 29,166.67 ounces which is still only $962,000 or so.

And worldwide, I'm sure there are many with a ton or more of gold.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby goodcents » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:23 pm

I just hope we never come to the point of a financial meltdown where we are buying bread and other food staples for hand fulls of copper pennies.

However, we should all be prepared in case that happens. Stocks and bonds and dollar bills will be fire starters at best with a financial meltdown.

I would think copper 1 ounce, 1/2 ounce and quarter ounce rounds would be great too if the time came.
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing