new way to handsort!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

new way to handsort!

Postby penny pretty » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 pm

OK, usually when I handsort a roll, I put the zincs to one side, and the coppers on the other. Not anymore! I just opened a roll and soon figured out it was 100% CU. SO I sorted into.. shiny, and NOT shiny.(Im scientific like that) When you buy pennies at the bank, just ask for all copper rolls! :shifty:
Attachments
roll.JPG
roll.JPG (129.18 KiB) Viewed 672 times
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: new way to handsort!

Postby barrytrot » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Actually it goes slightly beyond "shiny" there are certain colors that copper cents have. In other words a shiny copper cent is easily distinguishable from a shiny zince.

Once you look at them for a while you can sort with about 95% accuracy from about 10 feet away.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Bham » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:34 am

I noticed this too! I started hand sorting recently and I too separate them first by shine. I'm not quite good enough yet but I would say I'm about 75% right by just a quick look. I have noticed that once I pick them up the zinc ones have a worn cheap feel while the copper ones you can feel more detail. Learning more every day! :thumbup:
Bham
Penny Collector Member

Postby tinhorn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:54 am

penny pretty wrote:When you buy pennies at the bank, just ask for all copper rolls!

Hahaha! I'll be sure to try that technique!
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:47 pm

barrytrot wrote:Actually it goes slightly beyond "shiny" there are certain colors that copper cents have. In other words a shiny copper cent is easily distinguishable from a shiny zince.

Once you look at them for a while you can sort with about 95% accuracy from about 10 feet away.

I know. It was an all copper roll. I was just saying it was nice to seperate regular CU from AU CU instead of CU from zinc.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheba » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:24 pm

barrytrot wrote:Actually it goes slightly beyond "shiny" there are certain colors that copper cents have. In other words a shiny copper cent is easily distinguishable from a shiny zince.

Totally agree with this comment!!
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby mongo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Have you ever noticed that the coppers seem to have a deeper stamp to them whereas the zincs seem to wear out quicker and do not have distinct markings like the coppers do. Probably because its real money.
mongo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Numis Pam » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:12 am

mongo wrote:Have you ever noticed that the coppers seem to have a deeper stamp to them whereas the zincs seem to wear out quicker and do not have distinct markings like the coppers do. Probably because its real money.

+1 I find this to be true as well.
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby BHalbisen » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:44 pm

Handsorting sucks, but the after you do it a while you just know which are which....except for those sneaky 1982 pennies. I haven't figured out a way to tell those besides dropping them on the floor to hear what kind of sound they make~!!
BHalbisen

Postby scyther » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:53 pm

I got sick of putting them in a separate pile, so now I just throw them in the zinc pile.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing