Newbie with question about uncirculated cents from the 60's.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Newbie with question about uncirculated cents from the 60's.

Postby pennypicker » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Just joined the hobby and boards last week and during my first week of hand sorting I have come across a dozen or so uncirculated pennies with various dates from the 60's. The coins have all their original luster and look to have just come out of OBW's. Should I just toss these in with the rest of the coppers or should I keep them separate. In other words do they now or will they in the future have more than melt value? :?
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Newbie with question about uncirculated cents from the 6

Postby jasmatk » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:08 pm

some years carry a premium i would say get a whitman folder and start a nice albumn depending how much you sort you could end up with full rolls of lots of years in unc condition and rolls sell better buy a price guide or look online to get an idea of what years sell for what
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:12 pm

I used to save them and pull them, but as my volume increased I stopped pulling them. Around here I see them a lot. Usually '64's and '69's. Pull some if it pleases you. Sell 'em if you can. Good luck!

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Joogaler » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:54 am

I try to pull all of mine out. I'll eventually sell them for a premium in the near future, or the late future. It can't really hurt to hold on to them, you only lose 1 cent for each one you pull out, and even then you can always cash them back in at the bank.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby theo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:41 pm

If you found them in a roll amongst other circulated coins they are, by definition, also circulated IMO. I believe the actual term you would use is "Almost Uncirculated" or AU.

Having said that; they could still be sold for a premium and, therefore should be pulled. I also pull better-than-average condition coins from 1959 to 1969 (although not too many from 1964 and 1968), which I call "Copper Select." They could not be sold for a premium today, but in 10 or 20 years. . . who knows.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Onions » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:16 pm

I've found myself doing this too as I run across them sorting. I've noticed the 64, 69, and especially the 74's have far more of these AU's. Why is that? Don't understand why this would occur.
Onions

Postby Joogaler » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:27 pm

Onions wrote:I've found myself doing this too as I run across them sorting. I've noticed the 64, 69, and especially the 74's have far more of these AU's. Why is that? Don't understand why this would occur.

I've noticed the exact same thing! Figured someone just dumped a bunch of BU's, but then kept getting them box after box! I think it's a conspiracy... :lol:

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:10 am

Yeah, I sort and do this too (all 1959 to 69). But they don't have their original luster and instead have that brown patina look. I keep them ONLY if they are completely clean and no gunk, green stuff, spots, dirt and so on. Who knows? Maybe I'll either create a second Dansco folder someday with them or perhaps sell them in rolls. I also keep copper s-mints separate too (1968-1974).
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing