HUGE bank pickup!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

HUGE bank pickup!

Postby penny pretty » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:24 pm

I had some buisness out of town, and a branch of my credit union was close. So I drive the extra few miles, ask for what I usually do($20 or whatever more you have) i got... FOUR DOLLARS of pennies! that was all the bank had! The teller said they just shipped out everything! I was more embarrassed walking out of a bank with 8 rolls, than walking out with 2 $50 bags and everyone staring at me.anyone got LESS than that at a bank? let me know..
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: HUGE bank pickup!

Postby iatetacos » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:27 pm

I asked for as many as they could spare. Left with 2 rolls. Completely floored. I even had an account there do it wasn't like they were saving for their customers
iatetacos
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:22 pm

I have had plenty of stops like that. Better than leaving with nothing! The embarrassment will wear off.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:22 pm

I was trying out a new bank last year and they would only sell me $5.00 :thumbdown:
But I scored an IH :mrgreen:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8197

Re: September 2011 Copper Penny Handsorter Tracking
by RichardPenny43 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:31 pm

10 Brinks Rolls ($5.00)
136 non wheat/canadian (27.20%)
16 82cu
4 wheat
0 Canadian
1 1905 Indian Head! (can barely read the date, reverse is totally slick)
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OtusLotus » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:39 pm

I have walked into my local bank and walked away with NOTHING!!!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby DebtFreeMe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:51 pm

I walked in with a bank bag once, and ended up getting one 50 cent roll to put in it.... It happens, just keep on keeping on.
DebtFreeMe
Penny Collector Member

Postby baggerman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:04 am

I have had days like that but today was just the opposite. Picked up 6 bags today and the 1st one had 47% copper and 40 wheats. I only asked for 2 but they told me "yesterday somebody brought in a whole bunch and a lot of them were the old ones" so I took them all.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:07 am

I have one bank that I wonder why I keep going to.. they grudgingly give me $5 worth of pennies. Of course it it in a group of 5 banks in one shopping center that I do a drive by once a month. I keep hoping one day I will score big at this bank. You know the one day I skip it will be the day they had a local school drop off their penny drive. The other 4 banks are usually good for a few $hundred in pennies.. so it is not a bad monthly run. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:38 am

A few weeks back RBC was low and couldn't spare any, I've been getting $50
per week recently as that's what I can comfortably carry. Sometimes they
can only spare $25 but this one time they were way low! So thinking that at
my credit union the tellers often don't have access to more then $5 most of
the time I remembered annother credit union on the way home that I've
gotten change from before and the previous time wasn't fussy and didn't
even ask if I was a customer. So I figured I'd try there. This time they
asked if I was a customer, they said they could spare $2 of pennies, they
don't carry much. I guess they've changed staff and/or proceedures since
the last time I went there.

The problem at my own credit union is that unless the main "change" teller
is on shift each only has what they were set up with at whatever time their
till was set up and/or what someone broght in. So there might be a whole
bunch somewhere around but nobody might have access to it at the time.
As a result for now the credit union will be my dump bank for steel pennies.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mongo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:59 am

What I have found that most banks will get you as much coin as you need you just need to order a week in advance. I have a bank that the first 2 times i went in there they said we can only sell you so much because they need the coin for their customers. If I wanted to they would order all the coin I wanted, it just needed to be in advance so they didnt cut themselves short. I dont believe most banks have that much cash and coin on hand anymore. Now your main branches might but I believe the remote branches pretty much have it figured out what they need from week to week to operate on and dont go too far over that.

Sort on and keep stacking
Mongo
mongo
Penny Sorter Member

Postby everything » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:44 pm

When I'm desperate for pennies, and at a bank I'll never go to again, I lie and say it's for a penny drive, they think it's for a good cause and usually give me a whole box. When I first started I'd go and just ask randomly at different branches, the ones that were good to me, I went back. I remember at this one U.S. Bank, the teller literally told me since I had no account with them to get out. They always ask, do you have an account with us? Eventually I got tired of feeling like an idiot every time I needed a penny fix so I opened an account at a bank who hooks me up with two boxes every Friday afternoon, and my credit union makes a great dump.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby penny pretty » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:43 pm

iatetacos wrote:I asked for as many as they could spare. Left with 2 rolls. Completely floored. I even had an account there do it wasn't like they were saving for their customers

LOL thanks for making me feel better! at least with only 2 rolls you could hide them! picture a long line in the bank, after a discussion with the teller, you walk out with 2 rolls of pennies! Read the minds of the folks in line watching you walk away! (I thought I was overdrawn!) etc...
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby narragansett » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:51 pm

I have had some banks that ask if I am a customer.It was at banks that I do have an account. If the teller is snooty & asks that question I always want to say "YES, I AM. I AM HERE TO BUY SOME PENNIES". I go to 2 different banks in Rhode Island when I am down there and they never ask if I am a customer. I do have accounts there. The last time the teller did ask what business I was from. I told her that I am getting my grand kids interested in coin collecting and this was a good way for them to sort a lot of coin cheaply and keep them occupied for awhile. Shw just smiled.
narragansett
Penny Pincher Member

Postby thepennyfund » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:39 pm

The most pennies I've picked up so far at one branch is $200 worth. I'm lucky to have laid back banks in my area that don't really ask questions.
Please check out my site http://thepennyfund.weebly.com/ I buy and sell Pre-1982 pennies by the pound. I'm happy to negotiate realistic offers that make sense for both parties. Let's see if we can make a deal.

New Jersey Residents: $150 CTUs - (Cash Only) We can meet daytime in a public place. PM me to set up an appointment.
thepennyfund

Postby Engineer » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:05 pm

I decided to give my pickup banks some extra time to fill bags over the weekend, and headed out today expecting 8-10 bags. I got skunked at every single branch I hit, and at the last one the teller told me someone cashed in multiple bags of halves. :(

It looks like I have some competition...
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby myspen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:37 am

I have an account @ Wells-Fargo branch here in Vancouver Washington. They''ll get me $300week if I order them in advance....
myspen

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing