My conclusion. Preaching to the choir.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

My conclusion. Preaching to the choir.

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:08 am

Keep accumulating copper cents for the long-term. Too many upside potential advantages to them versus leaving money in the bank earning a few percent points of interest. Once the decision is made to do away with the zincoln (?) , watch all the copper pennies start being hoarded by the masses IMHO.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: My conclusion. Preaching to the choir.

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 am

JerrySpringer wrote:Keep accumulating copper cents for the long-term. Too many upside potential advantages to them versus leaving money in the bank earning a few percent points of interest. Once the decision is made to do away with the zincoln (?) , watch all the copper pennies start being hoarded by the masses IMHO.

+1 If you do not go to the banks we do.
-1 If you go to the banks we do.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:03 pm

henrysmedford wrote:-1 If you go to the banks we do.

Cue 'Jaws' music if that happens. :D
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby handsorter » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:42 pm

I agree about the upside for copper pennies. In my own little micro-economic world, it had gotten to the point where I had to choose between keeping my nickels, or getting (sorting) more copper pennies. Even though I think nickels will be very good in the long term, I weighed the pros/cons of saving each. So, I finished the last of my nickel dumps today, except that I did save every buffalo, war nickel, and all 40s and 50's nickels that I found. (In the last year, I have even found 3 Liberty nickels.) I decided to go all-in with pennies, since nickels are 75% copper anyway. Might as well save something that is 95% copper, and already at over 2x face value. I will still sort through nickels, but I just won't keep any, except those mentioned above. $100.00 face value in pennies sitting in my basement right now, just waiting to be sorted.
handsorter

Postby Sheba » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:44 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:Keep accumulating copper cents for the long-term. Too many upside potential advantages to them versus leaving money in the bank earning a few percent points of interest. Once the decision is made to do away with the zincoln (?) , watch all the copper pennies start being hoarded by the masses IMHO.

Total agreement with you. Thanks for the encouragement to keep on keeping on :wave:
Sheba

Now let's see ... where is that blasted cat! I'm hungry. woof, whine, drool, sniff ... 'here kitty, kitty, kitty, nice kitty. Where are you little kitty?
Sheba
Penny Collector Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:00 pm

Sheba wrote: Total agreement with you. Thanks for the encouragement to keep on keeping on :wave:

:clap:
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZenOps » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:46 pm

Leave your nickels for Canadians, or just me, we are going to need extra now that we are rounding everything to the nearest nickel.

Canadians never really tended to hoard copper pennies, our pennies were always and still mostly are considered inferior to British pennies. The 9.4 gram 654 million mintage year of 1967, the last year the Brits made the "big pennies" means there are still quite a few lingering around if you know where to get them. The 7.12 gram two pence made of copper was still around until 1991, and easily magnetically sortable, unlike US and Canadian zincers. Two pence being roughly 3 cents Canadian or 3 cents US at current exchange rates.

Truth be known, if I were going for copper - I'd actually prefer a 1991 British two pence just for the 7.12 gram size (its a nice big hunk of copper) That you can instantly tell a whole roll is copper just by running a magnet over it also makes it extremely appealing (i'm not going to look at every date on every US copper coin if being used in a barter situation)

The least appealing of all pennies to me are of course the Susan B Anthony, Sacagawea, and Presidential US 8.1 gram pennies ;)
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:41 pm

ZenOps wrote:Truth be known, if I were going for copper - I'd actually prefer a 1991 British two pence just for the 7.12 gram size (its a nice big hunk of copper) That you can instantly tell a whole roll is copper just by running a magnet over it also makes it extremely appealing (i'm not going to look at every date on every US copper coin if being used in a barter situation)

Come and get me coppers! :lol:
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Sheba wrote:Total agreement with you. Thanks for the encouragement to keep on keeping on :wave:

Another thing that kind of gives traction to my conclusions is that nobody thinks it is a savvy thing to do to stock away cents. The folks here are the exception, but mainstream probably thinks it is bizarre or a waste of time or both. It might be a good rule of thumb to go against popular wisdom on this one. Of course, I have a friend who saved copper cents in a few 55 gallon barrels from 30 odd years ago or so. He might of been premature accumulating that soon unless he has some key dates hidden in there.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jacer333 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:59 pm

Ahh, the common interest and position that unites us all! Keep trucking along everyone :thumbup:
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:39 pm

I like the feeling that we are going against what most people believe. Most people save their money in FRNs, stocks, bonds...etc. We are a niche community, no question about that. I have a variety of investments, and saving PMs along with copper coins and rounds makes it a little more stable, in my opinion. Try to cover all of your bases, if you are able to do so.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby penny pretty » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:34 pm

JerrySpringer wrote:
Sheba wrote:Total agreement with you. Thanks for the encouragement to keep on keeping on :wave:

Another thing that kind of gives traction to my conclusions is that nobody thinks it is a savvy thing to do to stock away cents. The folks here are the exception, but mainstream probably thinks it is bizarre or a waste of time or both. It might be a good rule of thumb to go against popular wisdom on this one. Of course, I have a friend who saved copper cents in a few 55 gallon barrels from 30 odd years ago or so. He might of been premature accumulating that soon unless he has some key dates hidden in there.

Premature accumulation is SO embarrasing! :angel: I just store the copper,hope for some interesting finds,and give those interesting finds away in the contest forum.
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:47 pm

penny pretty wrote:
JerrySpringer wrote:

Premature accumulation is SO embarrasing! :angel: I just store the copper,hope for some interesting finds,and give those interesting finds away in the contest forum.

:lol: :lol: :clap:

Premature accumulation!!!
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:09 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :clap:

Premature accumulation!!!

cue the 'Jaws' music :shifty:
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing