Where Are All The Pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Where Are All The Pennies?

Postby silverflake » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:41 pm

Ok, I have been busy lately haven't sorted in a long time. And on top of that I am a small time hand sorter. So, my first day off in a while, I go out with $40, thinking to stop at 4 banks on the one road I need to be on anyway. First bank (credit union) I ask for $10 in pennies. I get the obligatory "do you have an account with us?" question. I do. She pulls her drawer open - one roll. She trots down to the next teller - $3 in pennies. "We only have $3.50 in pennies sir." She says. I say nothing because I know they have a vault. After a brief pause, she pulls out some papaer work and goes into the vault. Tough pull but I got my pennies.

Bank 2 (of 4). I walk in, ask for $10 in pennies. "We have none, I just gave them all away this morning." What? Whatever. I leave.

Bank 3 of 4. I ask for $10 in pennies. A brief pause, teller checks the drawer - nothing. Checks teller neck to him. Not enough. Now to this guys credit, he never even paused. He filled out his paper work and went into the vault, brought out my pennies.

Bank 4 of 4. After the drawer search, "We only have $2.50 in pennies." Huh? I didn't take them, went home with my $20. The last 3 banks were major regional banks too. (BB&T x2 and SunTrust). Where are all the pennies???????

On the search though I got a George V Canadian penny - my first!

Again, where are all the pennies?
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Where Are All The Pennies?

Postby henrysmedford » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:07 pm

I think it helps when you have route and they know you. I have found they will save it up. So what year is the King George V is the one you found and are you adding it to the list, http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109&start=150
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:24 pm

silverflake wrote:On the search though I got a George V Canadian penny - my first!

Nice, your persistence paid off!

I don't know what the problem would be there. I have ONE bank that ALWAYS has AT LEAST $100 per week for me. Some weeks they have as much as $200... and once in a great while, more than that. It's always in $50 increments, and always from their lobby counter. Other banks in town accumulate maybe $100 per month or so, and call me when it starts to pile up in their vault.

Perhaps you could say, "I will buy a box or a bag worth if you have that much to spare." They often don't think about it that way, because their average customer would NEVER want that many pennies. To an extent, you will benefit if they start to recognize you as the penny guy - over time, they will come to anticipate your visits, and have a better idea of what they can give you. At least, that's my experience.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverflake » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:45 pm

Good info from those who responded. By the way, henrysmedford - 1920 on the George V.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:18 pm

I don't know.. I don't have any of 'em. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby ScottyTX » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 pm

The banks are getting raided for all the penny handouts on Halloween :) Pennies and Raisins yeppers....
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby marine70 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:55 am

Every Thursday I get four boxes from one of my regular banks. I always ask if I am being too much of a pest,her reply is always its no problem. I have an account at this bank and they know I am sorting. I have several branches of another bank I get no more than two boxes at each. All in all I have been very lucky.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby everything » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:43 pm

Just tell your CU or closest pickup to order you boxes, your wasting gas driving around, I am being hypocritical about the gas thing, I waste gas and time on it as well but it's my hobby, my entertainment.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby snappy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:55 am

this time a year everyone is giving their 2 cents to everyone with ears and some that do not and once the BS piles up you will not be able to see them any more.

don't forget to vote and give your 2 cents tomarow.
snappy
Penny Collector Member

Postby CU Baker » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:03 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I don't know.. I don't have any of 'em. :mrgreen:

:clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't think he is telling the truth.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:35 pm

I live in a rural area. Only two banks (one big, one very local) around. Both need a heads up for pennies. If not, I run the risk of your experience. This started about a year ago, give or take. I have significant accounts at both. One occasionally calls me for my zinc pile when they run low. Both receive gifts of gratitude.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:12 am

CU Baker wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I don't know.. I don't have any of 'em. :mrgreen:

:clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't think he is telling the truth.

*Has never been seen dragging sledloads of them across the frozen tundra to pay the gas man* :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:59 am

Try metal detecting......there are tons of pennies buried in the dirt! :shh:
TheJonasCollegeFund
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tedandcam » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:25 am

TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Try metal detecting......there are tons of pennies buried in the dirt! :shh:

Yes...and some of them are still round :lol:
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:39 am

tedandcam wrote:
TheJonasCollegeFund wrote:Try metal detecting......there are tons of pennies buried in the dirt! :shh:

Yes...and some of them are still round :lol:

Usually just the copper ones. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby CU Baker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:34 am

297zn and 123 cu this summer, the chewed up zn snuck into different bank bags that get deposited so they all don't get kicked out for being dirty. Works for me :lol:

And just for the record I payed the gas man with a check this year :oops:
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing