Is storing pennies w/o climate control OK?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is storing pennies w/o climate control OK?

Postby NHsorter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 pm

I have a (booby trapped :D ) barn. It's a nice big old girl from the 1800s. It would be great to throw some coppers in there to free up space in my house. There is no heat or AC in there. Temp fluctuates as mother nature dictates. It's a dry barn, but it does get humid sometimes and we jump down under freezing and back up a lot too. Got real seasons up here in Mass North. So is it a bad idea to store pennies in there? Would they corrode? I was thinking a couple of 55 gallon steel drums.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Is storing pennies w/o climate control OK?

Postby Engineer » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:36 pm

If you can keep the humidity away from the coins while they're colder than the surrounding air, you should be ok. Otherwise, you could have problems with condensation.

I'd suggest sealing up the top, then taping a plastic bag over it as an extra vapor barrier.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:49 pm

I have access to open head steel drums with a nice rubber seal. Totally air tight. Would that suffice?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:19 am

NHsorter wrote:I have access to open head steel drums with a nice rubber seal. Totally air tight. Would that suffice?

That should be fine. Sealing them up on a nice dry day will help, and it still wouldn't hurt to tape a trash bag or three over the lid for extra protection.

When your cents are cold enough to condense moisture, they'll literally pull a vacuum on the drum and even a tiny leak will allow water vapor to keep entering and condensing. Having the bag(s) gives you some dead air space which will keep the water out even if your primary seal isn't airtight.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:52 am

Great news and thanks for the tip. Time to clear some space up in the "penny room" as it has been mockingly branded.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby atticus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:15 pm

i don't mean to highjack, but I've got a similar question and I'm in the same boat as NH in terms of climate. I have a shed that is similar to his barn, and I was thinking of using some 5 gallon "pickle" buckets. My thought was putting a bead of silicone in the groove on the lid before closing it up and putting them out there. The lids have a rubber gasket, but I don't trust it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I still have some space in my own "penny room", and was thinking about doing a trial run with some Zincolns to see what happened into the spring where the temps start to fluctuate. Is there anything to suggest that the Zincs would react any differently, or give any sort of false positive etc? My thought would be to take some shining zincolns and seal them up in this manner. Would it make a difference if I had a large quantity as opposed to a few?

Thanks in advance,
Atticus
atticus
Penny Sorter Member

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:41 pm

As long as you are 100% sure that moisture can not get to them!
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:58 am

I would go the expense of moisture removing silica packs placed on top of the coins to remove any excess humidity in the air inside the drums once they have been sealed. You know, like the ones you place inside a gun safe.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby DuckTales253 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:00 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:I would go the expense of moisture removing silica packs placed on top of the coins to remove any excess humidity in the air inside the drums once they have been sealed. You know, like the ones you place inside a gun safe.

I would recommend the same thing: Silica packs to absorb any moisture.
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:08 am

Feel free to post your favorite source for cheap silica packs. Cheapskates want to know! 8-)
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am

They're usually in shoe boxes, but not the big packs. Little ones about the size of a sugar packet.
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:35 am

Thanks uthminsta, but I don't buy that many shoes :D Should I incorporate shoe stores into my dump route? Just kidding around.

I was wondering if there is a good place to buy them. I could use a decent amount. I have a "few" pennies here and there to store.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:42 am

Ask a couple shoe stores what they do with their silica packs. I bet you could set up a little box behind the counter and collect it once a week!
uthminsta

Postby DuckTales253 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:37 pm

uthminsta wrote:Ask a couple shoe stores what they do with their silica packs. I bet you could set up a little box behind the counter and collect it once a week!

Or dumpster dive!
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NHsorter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:07 pm

DuckTales253 wrote:
uthminsta wrote:Ask a couple shoe stores what they do with their silica packs. I bet you could set up a little box behind the counter and collect it once a week!

Or dumpster dive!

:lol:

I just checked amazon and I noticed these Eva-Dry things that you put in your safe or whatever and when they chage color you plug them in and it dries them out. Looks neat. Anyone have experience with them? Not ideal for drums like I was talking about, but in some other applications, they look useful.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mishra142 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:34 pm

How many silica packs would be ideal for a 50 gallon drum?
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Purge your container with Nitrogen....your done.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:34 pm

fasteddy wrote:Purge your container with Nitrogen....your done.

Presuming your container is gas proof, yes.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing