some clues to composition change and elimination?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

some clues to composition change and elimination?

Postby atticus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:14 pm

I just read this

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/kill-bi ... -1C7350149

Even though this isn't an apples to apples comparison with the Cent/Nickel situation, a couple things strike me:
1) 2/3 of Americans panned the idea of a dollar coin even though they new it would save the gov't money
2) If we all start buying goods electronically (including cards), then the point will be moot.

Again I realize these two points do not directly correlate to the copper/nickle situation, but I think they do point to a lack of political motivation to do anything with coins in the near future. To me, this says that there isn't going to be much political capital behind overcoming the copper and zinc lobby regardless of what might come out of any of this current focus on fiscal discipline.

Any thoughts?

Atticus
atticus
Penny Sorter Member

Re: some clues to composition change and elimination?

Postby creshka46 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Well, I can't remember any of the sources but I've read that Jarden Zinc is actually promoting the idea of having plated steel pennies (apparently they make those too). So, given that they seem to be the major lobbying force for any changes in the cent, I wouldn't be supprised if some time in the next 2 years we start making steel pennies. As for nickels, I don't know. But I do agree that pennies and nickels won't go away entirely any time soon.
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing