Lamination error?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Lamination error?

Postby cuppoor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:39 pm

I found this penny in the copper bin after hearing what I thought was a Canadian cent hit the pile. After searching for and not finding the Canadian I was looking for I found that this 1972 D was the coin that I had heard. At first I thought (hoped) that it was a Canadian planchet but after looking at it closely I think that it's a lamination error that was struck after splitting. It weighs 2.4g and sounds a lot like a Canadian when bounced on the wood bench and is about .048" thick.
Attachments
12-2-2012 12 2.jpg
12-2-2012 12 2.jpg (92.36 KiB) Viewed 259 times
12-2-2012 12 1.jpg
12-2-2012 12 1.jpg (79.41 KiB) Viewed 259 times
cuppoor
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Lamination error?

Postby bman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:59 pm

It doesn't look like a lamination error... it could be a split or thin planchet but the strike is usually weak on those.
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Lamination error? (split error)

Postby cuppoor » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:48 pm

I realized after I posted it and saw bman's response that I had meant to say split planchet error, which is a subset type of a lamination, no?

Can you guys see the faint signs of the metal grain where the planchet split on the reverse side? There are also striations on the obverse side that are interesting. The coin is thin and its tonal qualities are similar to a Canadian penny minted in the later days when they were doing things to make the coins use less copper by making them thinner, cutting bevels, etc. I had hoped that I stumbled on a LCM minted on a CA planchet. I don't believe that it is the case because of the grain marks that are visible.

Is this kind of error very common?
Thanks for looking...
cuppoor
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing