Headphones with Ryedale

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Headphones with Ryedale

Postby NHsorter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:01 pm

Right now I use the squishy little orange ear plugs when I run my Ryedale. When no one else is home, I have a stereo that I crank up and I can hear it good enough through the ear plugs. Most of the time, someone else is home so if I blast the stereo like that, they don't appreciate it :D

I tried using headphones, but the ones I have stink.

Does anyone have experience with headphone use with a Ryedale? I was thinking of busting the budget and getting some of the Bose noise cancelling headphones. Has anyone else tried this. Interested in how it worked out for ya. I would have to dish out 2 bennies for a set of these and find out that they are no match for the sorter.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Headphones with Ryedale

Postby natsb88 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:06 pm

I use these at the dirt races. I like to listen to the track crew over the scanner, and I don't like to expose myself to the engine noise since I'm there weekly (and at the machine shop daily, and at the shooting range from time to time...figure I'll be deaf by the time I'm 30 if I don't take some reasonable precautions). It's basically like the foam earplugs, but with headphones built in, and they're cheap enough that I don't mind going through a pair every race season :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-SPARKPLUG-St ... B00081A2DQ
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby NHsorter » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks Nate! I think I'll give those a try. Heck, for under $10 it's worth a shot for sure. They look like they could be a little uncomfortable though. How does that work out for you?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:35 pm

No worse than the foam earplugs IMO. Same type of deal, compress the foam a little bit, stick them in, and hold them for a couple seconds until the foam expands again. The wire is pretty thin, but I usually get a full race season out of a pair before the audio in one side or the other starts to break up. I often use them on the tractor too, so they are occasionally subjected to getting ripped out by a tree branch :lol:
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby chris6084 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:54 pm

When using the ryedale, I just use the old style headphones that cover my whole ear. They are not noise cancelling, but they do block the noise a bit
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:29 pm

I use the headphones that I use when I go to Nascar races. I can hook them up to the TV or radio or what ever I want to listen to. When I get all three Ryedales going it is quite loud. When my wife come down into the basement and sees that she just shakes her head. :lol:
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby MUTiger » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:11 pm

NHSorter,
I have attached a few posts about keeping a Ryedale quiet and my stories about the Bose QC15 headphones. I got a set for Christmas last year and hesitated opening them since they are pretty pricey. I finally opened them and used them with the Ryedale. Most times I just use them with no audio input and they make it much quieter. Sometimes I put an audio input of my favorite podcasts or music and that works great as well.
As a side note, they work great when you are on an airplane at the very back of the plane next to the engines. I know from experience. :lol:

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?p=143617#p143617

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12221#p118674

http://www.realcent.org/viewtopic.php?p=118718#p118718

mutiger
MUTiger
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:10 pm

Santa was nice enough to bring me a set of Dr Dre beats mixr headphones (I been good) I suppose I could wear those when running the Ryedales. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby ZenOps » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:09 pm

What, you haven't encased your Ryedale in a copper brick fortress sound chamber already?

I use $25 bricks of pennies to block the sides of my 575-watt subwoofer so that the sound only goes to where I want it to.

Works well.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks for the links mutiger. I think I might give them a try. Shopping craigslist now for a deal. Hopefully someone got some for Christmas and they don't want them. If I can get a good enough deal, I can try them out and if I don't think they are worth it, still get my money back. If I can't find a smoking deal, I am going to pick up the ones that Nate recommended.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:30 am

Noise cancelling headphones are really nice, up to a point. I used to work in a job where I took a lot of long international flights. After a several hours of wearing them, my ears just felt sore and tired internally. I found a webpage that explained that the acoustic noise cancellation works by pumping white noise and sub- and super-sonic sound waves "upstream" in a way that cancels out the waveforms of the incoming ambient sounds. The end result is that everything seems quiet, but your ear drums still feel the effect of being physically buffetted by sound waves that you can't hear. I'm over-simplifying--it was way more techie than that, and I'm not sure I fully understood it to begin with, but there you go. For a couple of hours around loud noise, they're awesome.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing