Bank pick up advice needed

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Bank pick up advice needed

Postby RedRockGirl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:11 am

I only bank at a CU. they will only sell me boxes, (no bags). Once the box is opened the rolls have to be cracked and fed through the feeder. I dump at a different bank. The problem I am finding is brand new 2012 boxes. They can't open a box to check first before I buy, and cwr is not an option because they do not accept them. Any suggestions? I'm tired of picking up new boxes and still have to process them.
I am trying to get my dad to order a box of halves from his bank for me for his business account. Just gotta sweeten up dear old dad.
Thanks!!
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Re: Bank pick up advice needed

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:44 am

I read your post in the tracking thread and you said you sorted a String box of dimes. If the penny boxes you buy are also String they should have the holes so you can see the ends of the rolls. If they are all shiny don't buy them. You may have to wait a while until the CU gets more boxes. I would just buy them anyway to speed up the process and hope their next order of pennies isn't all 2012's. Sometimes the solid 2012 boxes do have some (not much) older coin mixed in there.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby RedRockGirl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:36 pm

The string box of dimes did have the holes. My cousin who works at the CU said the new boxes do not, so I'm not sure if buying them up would help.
Dad put in an order through his business at his bank for a box of halves so maybe that will be a good new option.
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:45 pm

If you weigh the box and it is exactly fourteen pounds, they are solid zinc rolls. As long as the box is unopened, I don't know why they wouldn't let you exchange it for another, or you can just spend the unopened rolls while running errands, etc.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Kurr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Dont forget that solid 2012 boxes often can command a small premium themselves, no sorting needed.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby jacer333 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Kurr wrote:Dont forget that solid 2012 boxes often can command a small premium themselves, no sorting needed.

Unfortunately I think that ship has sailed on the 2012 boxes...I am still sitting on about 15 of them and have been cracking and returning them now that the demand has dried up for them and there is not enough profit to make it worth the effort to sell them. :(
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:17 pm

For whatever reason this is a time of year where a lot of boxes of 2012s are showing up at my bank. Maybe to clear the way for the 2013s.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby adagirl » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:27 pm

68Camaro wrote:For whatever reason this is a time of year where a lot of boxes of 2012s are showing up at my bank. Maybe to clear the way for the 2013s.

You are not the lone ranger; I am having the same issue too
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:24 pm

If you have a good portable scale you can take to the CU with you, you can weigh them right there at the counter to select ones that are not zinc. I think the weight for a solid zinc box is 14.1 pounds. I have a high end vendor scale, but I think a reasonably priced postal scale would work for this. I could probably be talked into some 2012 P mint cents at $115 per $100 shipped. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Romalae » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:39 pm

I find it odd that several of those who've posted in this thread have mentioned a widespread tendency for the 2012 Zincolns to frequently manifest themselves when I was just recently thinking to myself how this is the only year I've sorted and not acquired a single box of new pennies from that year. The previous three years I'd received new boxes from that year, but I haven't come across a 2012 box for this entire year.

I've seen boxes of new uncirculated Zincolns on eBay but they rarely seem to get any action. I honestly think you're better off sending them back to the bank instead of going to the trouble of posting them on eBay or trying to find a buyer elsewhere.

In any case, as for your original post, my only advice is to find a new buy bank for now or just wait it out if you can suppress your Zincoln-box frustration. Percentage-wise, you're much more likely to get mixed pennies.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:53 am

They usually command a decent premium on the Bay when they first come out.. like if you got a box of 2013 cents this week. I generally never see them until there is virtually no market value left.. especially after fees. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 am

Not sure how different banks are in your area, but I would open as many accounts as I could if I was you. HSBC would let me exchange the new boxes if I had one. Good Luck.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:17 am

Another option is to fire up Amazon, see what you like to purchase, grab a box or two of the 2012's, and go to a Coinstar to cash in for a free count and an Amazon GC. This in turn could bring in older coins and not 2012's you can purchase.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:41 am

cesariojpn wrote:Another option is to fire up Amazon, see what you like to purchase, grab a box or two of the 2012's, and go to a Coinstar to cash in for a free count and an Amazon GC. This in turn could bring in older coins and not 2012's you can purchase.

I don't sort many pennies, but when I do, the zincs go through coinstar to buy stuff I don't need from Amazon. ;)

Speaking of which, I have 8 bags of cents that I need to run through the coinstar turtle counter. :roll:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pipster » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:13 pm

you might just have to look around for the right bank i am sitting on a couple of new boxes as well my dump bank wants me to crack em and run em through but i found a chase branch explained i was looking for older pennies and got these. Asked if i could just do a swap he said just bring in a few boxes a week and no prob. you might find a great teller that will help you.
PIP
pipster

Postby RedRockGirl » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks for the advice guys.
I happened to be in a neighboring town yesterday and grabbed my sons deposit slips from a bank that I do not use. I was able to pick up 2 boxes of pennies and a box of dimes by flashing that. I'm slowly figuring this out.
I have had no luck locating a box of halves. All the banks I'm asking are telling me no on even a few rolls. I lucked out a little with my dad's business. He has a business account with a local bank. He was able to order me a box of halves. I'm not sure how often I can get away with this without it being a bother, but at least I get one this week.
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:16 pm

beauanderos wrote:oh... :oops: this is all starting to make more sense... when I first read that you needed "pick up" advice... I thought... :shifty:

I mean... I was thinking something like fix your hair, put on some lipstick, make eye contact, and smile :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby JobIII » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:31 am

I bet you could also go to some other banks in the area. I went to plenty that I didn't belong to before they cut me off. Perhaps ask for small amounts here and there...
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:48 am

If they make everybody deposit the coins into their counter.. maybe you could ask them nicely if you could buy the bags off the machine. Some members here have had some good luck that way. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby RedRockGirl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56 am

Hoard, I have a cousin that works at my CU, so I have a tiny "in". It is company policy to not sell bags. I asked 3 different branches. I'll have to check other banks.
Also I got the box of halves from dad, one 1969. It was a brinks rolled box. There were 12 coins with big marker initials, and 8 with a green marker line on them. One coin with both the line and the initials. I suppose that isn't a good sign. :evil:
RedRockGirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:58 am

They always say that about company policy.

The halves with marks on them just means some of them have been previously been searched. Every time they get rerolled there is a possibility that some good ones could be in the mix. I actually have some halves that are punched with RC. I call them my RealCent halves. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Engineer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:12 am

RedRockGirl wrote:Hoard, I have a cousin that works at my CU, so I have a tiny "in". It is company policy to not sell bags. I asked 3 different branches. I'll have to check other banks.
Also I got the box of halves from dad, one 1969. It was a brinks rolled box. There were 12 coins with big marker initials, and 8 with a green marker line on them. One coin with both the line and the initials. I suppose that isn't a good sign. :evil:

Using CardsNCoin's numbers, you should average roughly 2 40% and .4 90% per box...but skunks are plentiful.

I've found it helpful to just walk in and ask for the manager, then explain that I'd like to open an account and buy the bags of coin they have to pay to ship back to the fed. Make sure they understand that the coins will NOT be coming back to them. You can also bait them with offering direct deposit or opening up a credit card.

Where you live, it might also help to mention "family time" putting together coin books on Sundays.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mtldealer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:09 am

For 2012 I was doing 10 to 15K a week in Halfs... I can't stress enough. Don't let the marked coins get you down. I know a few people in the same state as me (California) who were marking/painting coins. I get there coins and int the same boxes pull franklins and walking liberty's. the best pull I have ever found a barber half dollar was in one of those boxes. The coins are constantly being mixed over and over. Where the "new" coins are coming from is anybody's guess. I have my conspiracy theory's about it... But at the end of the day it's 2013 and we are still finding 40% and 90% silver in circulated coin. Who would have thought that?
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby mtldealer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:10 am

Engineer wrote:
RedRockGirl wrote:Hoard, I have a cousin that works at my CU, so I have a tiny "in". It is company policy to not sell bags. I asked 3 different branches. I'll have to check other banks.

Using CardsNCoin's numbers, you should average roughly 2 40% and .4 90% per box...but skunks are plentiful.

I've found it helpful to just walk in and ask for the manager, then explain that I'd like to open an account and buy the bags of coin they have to pay to ship back to the fed. Make sure they understand that the coins will NOT be coming back to them. You can also bait them with offering direct deposit or opening up a credit card.

Where you live, it might also help to mention "family time" putting together coin books on Sundays.

+1
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Postby mtldealer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:15 am

I have noticed that a big factor is the banks physical vault. If its small they are weary of bringing in coin that they can't store. I have been picking up from "said" type of branch and every Friday when I see the lead teller she says... The coin just got here I'm so glad you picked it up same day. I don't have room for it.
On the other hand... I deal with a grand ole bank in the heart of downtown... They don't care when I come as long as I come regularly. Today I picked up 7K from them and my contact felt bad cause she said I should have waited till the other 2K comes in on Friday to pick it all up.
mtldealer
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing