I make myself overthink things. what do you do!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

I make myself overthink things. what do you do!

Postby kwn68 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Well i handsort a little and as i do im workin on 3 whitman albums. Im short alot of wheats as i dont find many. I put an ad on craigslist and got a hit for wheats. a lady had about 1200 i got for 33.00. Now some of these are in the teens about 25, and about 75 or so 20s.. Even tho the redbook shows them at .25 each or so , do i just roll them with my other whaets and not worry about them, should i throw them in cardboard flips just for the heck of it or what. Some of the others were in great shape like i found 2 rolls of BU 58's i guess are worth maybe .30-.50 apiece. Any thoughts on how you guys handle thinks like this would be a great help.
Last edited by kwn68 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwn68

Re: I make myself overthinkin things. what do you do!

Postby HD-Daddy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:36 pm

I started by breaking my wheats down by decade, then as you find more you can refine your storage methods.
HD-Daddy
Penny Collector Member

Postby jacer333 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:47 pm

Atleast separate out the ones made before 1940. I put them in baggies according to decade.
1909-S VDB Found 3/19/12. Wild IHC's found to date: 38
jacer333
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:02 pm

Set the 1958 BU rolls apart. Wait a few years until after the penny has been outlawed. They'll be worth far more once cents become scarce. As far as book values go, they're only worth what someone will pay for them... which in most cases would be less than eight cents a piece for pre-1920... apart from actual scarce dates. Also depends upon their condition. If they're XF or better (the earlier dates), sure, card them.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:47 pm

I roll the teens and 20's by decade, 30's by year (I have alot of these), and pre-40's with mint marks separately. All the 40's and 50's go in a coffee can.
Check the pre-40 tracking thread for a list of key/semi-key dates, maybe put those in 2x2's.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby kwn68 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:29 pm

Hey thanks for the help guys.. one more thing.. any reason to keep S mints seperate?
kwn68

Postby henrysmedford » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:59 pm

kwn68 wrote:Hey thanks for the help guys.. one more thing.. any reason to keep S mints seperate?

I keep all the Memorial S mints as they were only made 68-74 with a S mint mark (lower mintages hard to find) after that if you find one it a proof. Cents have been made for general circulation in San Francisco in other years but by law no mint marks were used on US coins from 65-67 and after 74 they were minted in San Francisco with out a mint mark for general circulation.
From--http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/collectors_corner/index.cfm?action=mint_marks
The "S" Mint mark was used on San Francisco coins until 1955, when production there was suspended. Operations were resumed in 1965, but on a limited basis. A supplemental coinage of cents for circulation was produced from 1968 through 1974; nickels were struck in 1968, 1969 and 1970. All bore the letter "S," as did a coinage of dimes in 1975. Cents were manufactured at San Francisco for general circulation, as well as the West Point Bullion Depository, under auxiliary authority of the Congress in the early 1980's. However, in order to assure maximum circulation of this small production, no mint marks were used.

And--
The coinage Act of 1965 prohibited the use of mint marks for a period of five years. This, together with the date freeze, eliminated distinguishing features on our coins which could tend to cause their removal from circulation during a critical period when the Mint was striving to build up coin inventories. No mint marks appear on coins dated 1965, 1966 and 1967. Congressional authorization permitted resumption of the practice in 1968, at which time the mint marks, usually positioned on the reverse of the coins prior to 1968, were permanently relocated to the obverse side.

My thoughts on the coin act of 1965
removal from circulation during a critical period when the Mint was striving to build up coin inventories

As you know is 1965 is when clad coins came out and they knew the silver coin would be pulled and with no mint mark less clad coins would be pulled by coin collectors.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Romalae » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:31 pm

kwn68 wrote:Hey thanks for the help guys.. one more thing.. any reason to keep S mints seperate?

As I understand it, a decent portion of sorters (handsorters in particular) keep the S-mint Memorials separate because of the lower mintage figures. As for me, I just keep the 1968-S separate (they had the lowest mintage figures of any Memorial [I also have a strange obsession with the 1968 Memorials anyway because the relief on the obverse is just so chunky and dazzling]). It's really your choice what you want to do with your S-mint coins; I really don't think it's worth the extra time to sort through for them, although the future could prove me wrong.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Re: I make myself overthink things. what do you do!

Postby thripp » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:13 pm

I use the blue book and separate them into the ones worth 4 cents or less and 5 cents or more. Over 99% of them are worth less than 5 cents according to the blue book (assuming they are all the lowest grade or worse).
thripp
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing