What do you do with all those zincs?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What do you do with all those zincs?

Postby AuStruck » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 pm

Have hand sorted for a while. How do the ryedale guys handle all the zincs? A lot to turn back in. Coinstar charges too much.

A lot of loose pennies to take to the bank. How can you roll that many? Dumb questions, eh.
AuStruck
Penny Pincher Member

Re: What do you do with all those zincs?

Postby Romalae » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:06 pm

Not dumb questions; they're actually quite fair.

Generally, unless you happen to possess a coin rolling machine, it is not worth the time and effort to reroll your zincs to return to the bank. What many sorters do is find a bank that has a coin counting machine in their lobby and send in their dump coin through that machine. It may take a bit of searching to find these machines, but a good portion of banks and credit unions have them.

That is my dumping method, though some people here manage to turn in deposit bags of coins but I've never been able to organize that with any of my banks.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scyther » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Just take them to the bank you have an account with, assuming they have a coin counting machine. If they don't want them, find a better bank. Tell them what you're going to do before you open an account so they won't be surprised and annoyed by it.

And yeah, definitely don't use coinstar. I don't know why coinstar even exists; if people like us can find dump banks, surely normal people should have no problem at all finding a bank to take their petty change. Oh well, fools and their money...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby plus1hdcp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:31 pm

My advice is to only use Coinstar if you have a need for a no fee gift card. I have been know to buy a itunes card for the kids or buy a Lowes / Amazon card if I have a pending purchase. However, the bulk of mine are sent back into the wild thanks to the tellers at my Credit Union. Look around for additional banks and credit unions.
plus1hdcp
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:21 am

plus1hdcp wrote:My advice is to only use Coinstar if you have a need for a no fee gift card. I have been know to buy a itunes card for the kids or buy a Lowes / Amazon card if I have a pending purchase. However, the bulk of mine are sent back into the wild thanks to the tellers at my Credit Union. Look around for additional banks and credit unions.

I keep an amazon account loaded up through coinstar for midnight purchases, but the bulk of my dumping is done at banks.

The branches with cranky tellers actually tend to get more of my dumps than the ones with the nice tellers because I enjoy watching them grumble. :twisted:
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tuleja » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:58 am

Yeah, If your lucky enough to have a bank with a coin counter in your area that is the easiest way to go, just dump your bucket of loose change in the counter and bring the slip up to the tellers to get cash back. There is one bank with a coin counter in our area and it gets lots of use. Unfortunately when it breaks down it's 80 miles to the next bank with a counter, so I just let them pile up till it gets fixed as I'm not driving the 160 mile round trip to dump.

Coinstar's free gift cards are an excellent option as well. I buy most things through Amazon.com as they usually have the best prices. You can get free Amazon.com gift slips without paying any fee. I bought my wife a kindle fire last year using coinstar dumps, and a new chainsaw this summer for myself. I have also used Coinstar for Lowes gift slips as well when I needed to get 3 mover blades for my riding mower this past summer and replaced a sink faucet a couple months back.
tuleja
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Zincanator » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:12 pm

I roll my own ;) , and am getting pretty quick at it, using a DDF Industries count and roll tube gadget. Easy and fast to feed, accurate. The bank gives me free paper sleves. I then put the rolls in small boxes of about $20-30. I take in one box each morning on the way to work until they're gone (currently only sorting $50-100/wk).

Engineer wrote:The branches with cranky tellers actually tend to get more of my dumps than the ones with the nice tellers because I enjoy watching them grumble. :twisted:

Ha ha Engineer I chose my dump bank for the exact same reason! There's one guy who gets remarkably annoyed at my neatly counted and rolled deposits... whateva!
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:16 pm

I opened up savings accounts at 4 different banks with coin machines..plus one bank has 3 branches in my travels...I like to spread things around...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby amalekidad » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:06 pm

I moved to a more rural area not quite two years ago. About a year ago a Super Kroger opened up. The bank-in-the-store has a coin counter. At the other end of the store is a Coinstar that gives a no fee Kroger gift card. It is very conmen that either the Coinstar or the bank counter is not working. However, it is very rare that both are unavailable at the same time. Whenever my daughter wants gas money, I just hand her a bag or two of zincs. This Kroger has a gas station that takes Kroger gift cards. The bank is actually pretty nice about it when I bring in zincs. Sometime they have to change bags a few times but they have never complained.
Oh, did I mention that when I refinanced my mortgage I got the bank to commit to let me pay in half dollars? It has worked out fairly well. The hardest part is getting the bags in from the truck.
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby MrIncredible » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Engineer wrote:The branches with cranky tellers actually tend to get more of my dumps than the ones with the nice tellers because I enjoy watching them grumble. :twisted:

In the two months I've been doing this, I have had only one bank branch give me any trouble about buying pennies. They wanted to charge me 14 cents a roll! :shock:

I am not able to dump zinc there since they lack a coin counter and I have plenty of other options that do. But I am planning a special trip with rolled halves at some point just for the entertainment value. :clap:

Survey for the group: How much in halves should I burden them with? $4k? $10K?
MrIncredible
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Zincanator » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm suprised so many use Coinstar even for giftcards. I used Coinstar once. It was remarkably slow. And it rejected a lot of the pennies. Is that just my bad luck?
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby penny pretty » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:23 pm

plus1hdcp wrote:My advice is to only use Coinstar if you have a need for a no fee gift card. I have been know to buy a itunes card for the kids or buy a Lowes / Amazon card if I have a pending purchase. However, the bulk of mine are sent back into the wild thanks to the tellers at my Credit Union. Look around for additional banks and credit unions.
I only use coinstar for amazon gift. I bought a kindle fire HD with my dumps. It works for me as I buy a LOT of stuff from amazon!
"Is that a roll of pennies in your pocket?" "Why yes miss, it is... why do you ask?"
penny pretty
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverEye » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Bank of America doesn't even raise an eyebrow when I bring in 2 x $50 bags of pennies at a time. I deposit it strait into my account there. Ask them for a few plastic coin bags first and and have them ready to go when you bring them back full with a deposit slip filled out. There's a lot of BofA's in my area so I spread the love around.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby Broseph » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:45 pm

I take unrolled coins to the bank. They have to be separated, but they roll them all the time for me. I have never come in with tons of cents. As soon as I get my ryedal I'll ask them how much I can bring without being a burden. They love me there since I bring them chocolate and chat with them all the time. I'm sure I wont have TOO much trouble.
I just wish there was an easy way to find banks in the area with coin sorter/counters. I made a lot of phone calls to no avail!
Big score of silver! Video below!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR_trSkCkHI
Broseph
Penny Sorter Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Broseph wrote:I just wish there was an easy way to find banks in the area with coin sorter/counters. I made a lot of phone calls to no avail!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13164&p=127193#p127193
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Broseph » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Cool! I just messaged them. Hopefully they can give me a list!
Broseph
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Ecotic » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:18 am

I use coin deposit bags with my bank (I just weigh the zincs), and I always short the bag by 3/4 of a pound. It's the most I can short it without getting a correction later on. Also I go to about 10 banks in a day with 2 bags each and that allows me to get rid of $1,000 in zincs in a day.

Also, I always also deposit about $2 in cash and coins when I deposit the bags. It throws off the computer systems at the headquarters which would catch my dumping activity and close my account. My logic is they're computers could catch 10 deposits of $50 or $100, but not $52.33 or $102.47.
Ecotic
Penny Sorter Member

Postby BenG76 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:46 am

[quote="Engineer
The branches with cranky tellers actually tend to get more of my dumps than the ones with the nice tellers because I enjoy watching them grumble. :twisted:[/quote]

I do this as well. I use a local bank and one branch of it the ladies always seem cranky. I dont have much trouble with them though since my wifes aunt is manager of another branch of the bank and they know it.
BenG76
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Broseph » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:08 am

Ecotic wrote:I use coin deposit bags with my bank (I just weigh the zincs), and I always short the bag by 3/4 of a pound. It's the most I can short it without getting a correction later on. Also I go to about 10 banks in a day with 2 bags each and that allows me to get rid of $1,000 in zincs in a day.

Also, I always also deposit about $2 in cash and coins when I deposit the bags. It throws off the computer systems at the headquarters which would catch my dumping activity and close my account. My logic is they're computers could catch 10 deposits of $50 or $100, but not $52.33 or $102.47.

They would close your account?
Broseph
Penny Sorter Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:01 pm

Ecotic wrote:I use coin deposit bags with my bank (I just weigh the zincs), and I always short the bag by 3/4 of a pound. It's the most I can short it without getting a correction later on.......

Are you saying that you intentionally bring in a $50 bag of zincs weighing only 26 3/4 pounds (correct weight would be 27.5 pounds) and they just credit your account for the full $50 without checking that you shorted them?
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Broseph » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:48 pm

CardsNCoins wrote:
Ecotic wrote:I use coin deposit bags with my bank (I just weigh the zincs), and I always short the bag by 3/4 of a pound. It's the most I can short it without getting a correction later on.......

Are you saying that you intentionally bring in a $50 bag of zincs weighing only 26 3/4 pounds (correct weight would be 27.5 pounds) and they just credit your account for the full $50 without checking that you shorted them?

I wasn't gonna say anything, but yeah that seems sketchy as all getout
Broseph
Penny Sorter Member

Postby scyther » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Broseph wrote:
CardsNCoins wrote:

I wasn't gonna say anything, but yeah that seems sketchy as all getout

Yeah, that is sketchy, but on the other hand they really should check. They almost deserve it if they let that happen to them on a regular basis... almost.
Last edited by scyther on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Ecotic wrote:I use coin deposit bags with my bank (I just weigh the zincs), and I always short the bag by 3/4 of a pound. It's the most I can short it without getting a correction later on. Also I go to about 10 banks in a day with 2 bags each and that allows me to get rid of $1,000 in zincs in a day.

Chances of us doing business now... Zero.

Do you put washers in your quarter rolls?

Why not just be more efficient and take cash from the bank in larger chunks? I hear that claiming to have a gun can get you thousands of dollars at a time from the bank without a withdrawal slip.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Ecotic » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Hey c'mon guys, think about it. They just send the bag to Brinks, credit my account immediately, and then tell me if Brinks finds the bag is off later then they will issue a correction later on. So if Brinks found my 26.75 lb bag to be $50, then obviously I was just mistaken when I read the numbers on the scale. :angel:

Besides, my bank is always passing the buck and claiming they have no pennies, and that I should "try the branch down the road", so making the gas math works requires some... innovative accounting procedures. And I'm sure they make a healthy profit giving out loans with my very robust (and perpetual) account balance of $0.01. Ten deposits or withdrawals a month requires no minimum account balance to avoid a monthly fee!
Ecotic
Penny Sorter Member

Postby JadeDragon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Ecotic wrote:Hey c'mon guys, think about it. They just send the bag to Brinks, credit my account immediately, and then tell me if Brinks finds the bag is off later then they will issue a correction later on. So if Brinks found my 26.75 lb bag to be $50, then obviously I was just mistaken when I read the numbers on the scale. :angel:

Besides, my bank is always passing the buck and claiming they have no pennies, and that I should "try the branch down the road", so making the gas math works requires some... innovative accounting procedures. And I'm sure they make a healthy profit giving out loans with my very robust (and perpetual) account balance of $0.01. Ten deposits or withdrawals a month requires no minimum account balance to avoid a monthly fee!

Ok, at least we know how you roll.

Can I get in on this deal? You give me $50 cash and I'll give you $46.64 cash back - we can repeat over and over again, as often as you like :)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing