Verdigris Rising

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Verdigris Rising

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Lately it seems that I am pulling a lot of verdigris covered pennies out of my good pile...much more than a year ago. Anybody else experiencing the same issue?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Verdigris Rising

Postby Cent1225 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:56 pm

Seems like it varies according to the bag. Somtimes I think when someone dumps an old bag that has been in the closet for a long time, there is alot of it.
Doesn't seem like too much in recently circulated coins because it gets worn off.
I had a box of pennies that I had in the closet for a few years and when I decided to open it up recently, it was terrrible with the verdigris.
That is what leads me to say what I did above. I think the longer they sit around undisturbed, the more the verdigris can grow and then it is more noticable.
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:08 am

Sounds like a Punk rock band from the 80s....
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:10 am

So Angela Merkel is explaining, again, to the German Parliament why yet another bailout will be required for Greece. One elder spokesman, schooled as an Austrian economist, rises slowly to his feet to question the preposterousness of her assertion. Gathering his strength to voice his disgust the opponent, who can still remember the Third Reich at the height of its power from the days of his youth, clears his throat... glares defiantly at the assembled mass, pounds his cane violently upon the floor... and utters with thick Teutonic accent...

"Verdigris?" "Ver di Gris?!"
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:35 pm

beauanderos wrote:So Angela Merkel is explaining, again, to the German Parliament why yet another bailout will be required for Greece. One elder spokesman, schooled as an Austrian economist, rises slowly to his feet to question the preposterousness of her assertion. Gathering his strength to voice his disgust the opponent, who can still remember the Third Reich at the height of its power from the days of his youth, clears his throat... glares defiantly at the assembled mass, pounds his cane violently upon the floor... and utters with thick Teutonic accent...

"Verdigris?" "Ver di Gris?!"

It's down at the greasy spoon on the corner. Wow, this thread spun out of control in record time. :lol:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:33 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Lately it seems that I am pulling a lot of verdigris covered pennies out of my good pile...much more than a year ago. Anybody else experiencing the same issue?

Is there a lot of humidity where you're storing your good pennies? Not keeping any infected ones with the good ones, are you? Green gunk WILL spread.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:54 pm

beauanderos wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Lately it seems that I am pulling a lot of verdigris covered pennies out of my good pile...much more than a year ago. Anybody else experiencing the same issue?

Is there a lot of humidity where you're storing your good pennies? Not keeping any infected ones with the good ones, are you? Green gunk WILL spread.

San Antonio is drier than Houston, but more humid that Phoenix. My wife hates the cold so we open windows and leave the air conditioner off for lengthy periods of time. I separate the green ones when sorting. That's why I noticed the recent increase.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby sparechange » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:42 pm

Being just a few miles north of San Antonio, I too have noticed that lately the pennies are nastier overall. I attribute it to fewer coppers being in the mix and the weaker zincs corroding a lot more. Not sure why, but my green pile has grown significantly lately. I have been trying to keep the greenies seperate in the ugly pile. A lot more uglies than that of a year ago. Percentages have slipped too. The end grows nearer! Pile them high, just make a good stack and an ugly one.
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:23 pm

sparechange wrote:Being just a few miles north of San Antonio, I too have noticed that lately the pennies are nastier overall. I attribute it to fewer coppers being in the mix and the weaker zincs corroding a lot more. Not sure why, but my green pile has grown significantly lately. I have been trying to keep the greenies seperate in the ugly pile. A lot more uglies than that of a year ago. Percentages have slipped too. The end grows nearer! Pile them high, just make a good stack and an ugly one.

I agree with your analysis, sparechange. I will just keep on stacking, whatever color those coppers are.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Romalae » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:51 am

How fast and under what conditions does verdigris usually spread? I've had my buckets of pennies stored away for about two or three years, and routine inventories show negligible or no increase in verdigris. Just north of you fellows, in Austin, I do keep my pennies in an upstairs, air-conditioned closet away from moisture, but I worry that eventually the verdigris will spread.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:48 am

I also think the subject would be (would have been - I guess because the genre is passe now) a great name for a Seattle grunge rock band.

I've curtailed cent sorting since start of the year but at that time I had noticed an increase in nastiness of the coin here.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby dpennies » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:24 pm

I did not know that this could be a problem. I am just starting out, but I plan to store them for years. I was wondering if rolling the pennies would prevent this, especially if they are stored in a non humidy controlled area. I appreciate the information that I am getting here.
dpennies

Postby chris6084 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Its because I dump all the crappy pennies I find in your part of town. :twisted:
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:13 pm

chris6084 wrote:Its because I dump all the crappy pennies I find in your part of town. :twisted:

I knew it. A pox on you. Or you can redeem yourself by trading me your clean silver for my verdigris-laden coins.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:44 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
chris6084 wrote:Its because I dump all the crappy pennies I find in your part of town. :twisted:

I knew it. A pox on you. Or you can redeem yourself by trading me your clean silver for my verdigris-laden coins.

Hey...I gave you that pox as a birthday present!
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:47 pm

Engineer wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

Hey...I gave you that pox as a birthday present!

Keeping unwanted birthday presents is so 20th century. Regifting, dude, it's the wave of the future.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fansubs_ca » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:50 am

Hmmm? Verdigris Rising? Would the name work for a rap artist?

One day I have to finish my parody "Funky Green Patina". :D
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Diggin4copper wrote:Sounds like a Punk rock band from the 80s....

Yes it does! :clap:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby chris6084 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 pm

shinnosuke wrote:

At the rate silver is going, I might trade you one silver dime per verdigris-laden penny.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby frugi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:01 pm

i grow copper verdigris and brass dezincification crystals. There is an amazing array of colored crystals growing; mostly white, some are green, and some are red....pretty cool.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:20 pm

"Verdigris Rising"? That's what happens every spring in my state.

Here is the Verdigris River watershed:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... vermap.png

How are you storing your brass cents? Do you put them in PVC plastic buckets? If you are storing them in metal containers, don't forget about galvanic reactions.

If moisture is the issue, how about placing silicon moisture absorbing packs on top of the coppers before you close the lid? (That is a real good thing to do for your ammo, too.) ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:44 pm

I sorted some cents yesterday....went to pour the Cu into the intermediate holding container....WTF....Lots of coin with lots of green growing right before my eyes...wasn't there last week. Put my hands in there to see if they got wet somehow....WET....smelled them....I cant write the words that came from my mouth....I am glad my fam was not home at the time...all the cat including the cat is now out of the house. I have an orange bucket with about $175 of cat pissed on (apparently a weeks worth) Cu cents. The green stuff goes down a couple of inches. Ohh that was nasty. Now looking for a way to clean them up, cant even dump'em, too wet for the machine. CRUD.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:04 pm

fasteddy wrote:I sorted some cents yesterday....went to pour the Cu into the intermediate holding container....WTF....Lots of coin with lots of green growing right before my eyes...wasn't there last week. Put my hands in there to see if they got wet somehow....WET....smelled them....I cant write the words that came from my mouth....I am glad my fam was not home at the time...all the cat including the cat is now out of the house. I have an orange bucket with about $175 of cat pissed on (apparently a weeks worth) Cu cents. The green stuff goes down a couple of inches. Ohh that was nasty. Now looking for a way to clean them up, cant even dump'em, too wet for the machine. CRUD.

Best cleaning method:
Step 1: Kill that dang cat.
Step 2: ...
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:"Verdigris Rising"? That's what happens every spring in my state.

How are you storing your brass cents? Do you put them in PVC plastic buckets? If you are storing them in metal containers, don't forget about galvanic reactions.

If moisture is the issue, how about placing silicon moisture absorbing packs on top of the coppers before you close the lid? (That is a real good thing to do for your ammo, too.) ;)

I was speaking of cents coming right out of bank rolls. More greenies than ever before.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:34 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:"Verdigris Rising"? That's what happens every spring in my state.

I was speaking of cents coming right out of bank rolls. More greenies than ever before.

Yeah, I realized that after I re-read what I posted. I didn't correct it 'cause I had to get back to work.

I guess the real issue is what to do with them so they don't contaminate your hoard? IF so, just stick them in a container of their own. Copper is copper, right? Sell'em cheap! Like 2 x face! Old P.T. Barnum would tell suckers they had to pay extra for the "special aged copper patina"! :mrgreen:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing