Copper cents dissapearing fast from circulation

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Copper cents dissapearing fast from circulation

Postby CU later 29 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 pm

New member here, but long time AG/CU hunter. Im approaching the 1 TON mark for copper pennies!!

Has anyone else noticed thier %'s of copper cents per box on the decline over the last year? Has hoarding increased in the US, now that Canada has actually scrapped its .01 coin? I believe it all started when the silver boom occured to almost $50/0z, more coin hunting started in my area, then folks went on to cents, now that CAD has scrapped its .01, everyone sees the writing on the wall for the US cent.

I would love to hear the opinions of fellow CU29 hoarders...Im thrilled I found this forum.

-G
CU later 29

Re: Copper cents dissapearing fast from circulation

Postby mishra142 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:06 pm

Where are you located? My averages remain pretty much the same as they were when I started a few years ago. I average about 25% from boxes. Closer to 30% from bags from coin machines.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 pm

Welcome to RC. :wave:
I find it amazing that you hoarded 1 ton before you found us. :clap:
I've had a steady 28% for two years. :mrgreen:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 pm

My percentage has dropped from 70% in December to under 1% now. Oh wait, that's my silver percentage.

Cent percentage has been holding steady in the 19-20% range.. so I just sort more. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Cent1225 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:03 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:My percentage has dropped from 70% in December to under 1% now. Oh wait, that's my silver percentage.

:mrgreen:

Where did you find 70% silver percentages in December. Some little old ladies safety deposit box?? :shock: :shock: :lol:
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Postby CU later 29 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 am

mishra142 wrote:Where are you located? My averages remain pretty much the same as they were when I started a few years ago. I average about 25% from boxes. Closer to 30% from bags from coin machines.

Southwest US, around Phoenix, AZ. :wave:

Was at 22%, then below 20%, now around 17% :roll:

I've heard of others around 25% around other parts of the US but not here! Still 17% is fine by me, I'll keep searching until we scrap the cent ourselves or when boxes are below 10%. I think Obama will start kicking the idea around of eliminating the cent around 2015/2016 towards the end of his term, as there are more important things to worry about Im sure in the beginning of ones term.
CU later 29

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:48 am

Cent1225 wrote:
HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:My percentage has dropped from 70% in December to under 1% now. Oh wait, that's my silver percentage.

:mrgreen:

Where did you find 70% silver percentages in December. Some little old ladies safety deposit box?? :shock: :shock: :lol:

I think it was something Thogey's old widow turned in. The teller told me.. "I don't have much for you this week, but I think you will like it" He gave me 20 rolls of dimes.. 14 of them were solid silver. It was the first of my trifecta of Silver Santa visits in December.

17% is actually high for Phoenix. I brought back a box of pennies from there the last time I visited my mom. I won't be doing that again. I think the percentages run 13-15%. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby stlouiscoin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 am

I have noticed a slight drop in %s. last summer I was averaging 24% a box, now I'm down to 20-21%
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 pm

Still getting 25-30% in western New York.Funny thing is that my Canadian % is up the last couple of months.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thedrifter » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:25 pm

They're escaping Canada!
Dave wrote:Funny thing is that my Canadian % is up the last couple of months.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby tuleja » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:36 pm

My percentages drop slightly every year. I think it's more the addition of billions and billions of pennies every year, over the copper being taken out of circulation.
tuleja
Penny Pincher Member

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:05 pm

Over the last two years mine dropped fro 28% to 25%, I agree with Tuleja that most of the decrease is from new pennies being introduced
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby bookshelf » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:03 pm

I am in southern California. My percentage has dropped from 17% to 16% in the past year. Not much, but noticeable over the long run.
Wanted: current Japanese YEN coins and bills
bookshelf
Penny Pincher Member

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:50 pm

The percentages seem about the same for me in Northern California, about 20%, but I have noticed a lot more shield pennies in the mix.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby reddirtcoins » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:15 am

2 years ago I was in the low 20's now it's more like 17-18%.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:41 am

Being the idiot that I am, I just started keeping track of percentages last year, but I've been holding fairly steady around 25-27%. Good job on the ton!
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ScrapMetal » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:42 am

On average about 28%. My theory is that as new zincs introduced in the mix, what do they displace? A copper or another zinc?
Will have to see when the 2013s start showing up.

BTW, I am in the Twin City area of Minneapolis.
ScrapMetal
Penny Collector Member

Postby Romalae » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:52 am

There was some good insight on this topic on this thread. There are varying theories of why percentages are getting lower, especially in places in the southwest like Texas and Arizona.

Here in central Texas, my box averages range from 12% to 16%. with roughly 14% or 15% being the usual. Pretty low, and it's down from 16% when I first undertook this operation three+ years ago.
Romalae
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Zincanator » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm typically hovering around 18-20% here in good ol DFW. For a while it seemed like CWRs were better than BWRs. But seems it's luck of the draw in either ($100 or less per week hand-sorting).
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 pm

stonewallrabbitry wrote:Over the last two years mine dropped fro 28% to 25%, I agree with Tuleja that most of the decrease is from new pennies being introduced

Implication is that the population of coin is larger and the coppers are a smaller part of that. How could anyone really tell that? Is the population is fixed and the coppers are replaced with shields t it would look the same from the view of the sorter.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby crbattery » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:54 pm

I have done $400 a week for a month and have a pretty consistent $110 of keepers.
I have been meaning to put together some better number soon:)

Northern Twin Cities Mn area for me.
crbattery

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:02 am

Mn is a great place to sort. I would get my pennies from there, but price for gas would kill me. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:31 am

I am steady between 20% - 25% just west of the greater Syracuse area, but finally discovered someone else using my fav podunk banks is sorting coppers by hand also. Canadian seem to be on a slight increase. About as many as these as '82s, CU that is.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby CU Baker » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:38 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Mn is a great place to sort. I would get my pennies from there, but price for gas would kill me. :mrgreen:

YOU JUST STAY WHERE YOU ARE! :lol:
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:10 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Mn is a great place to sort. I would get my pennies from there, but price for gas would kill me. :mrgreen:

Do you have easy rail service at the shop? A coal car can carry a hundred tons...
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing