how many pennies will your bank sell to you at one time?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

how many pennies will your bank sell to you at one time?

Postby djt76esq » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:12 pm

I was thinking about buying a Ryedale sorter but was concerned my banks wont allow me to buy enough pennies to make it worth while. Another question I have is how often do you get the entire haul consisting of 2012 or 2013 zincs?
djt76esq

Re: how many pennies will your bank sell to you at one time?

Postby RichardPenny43 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:47 pm

You just need to go to alot of banks and ask.
Some say no, some say yes :)
In doing this you can stockpile the boxes you'll want to have on hand when you get a Ryedale.
I only sort six boxes a week, two boxes from three banks.
Having a good dump plan is more important.
Find a bank with a lobby counter, you don't want to end up rolling all the zinc or using Coinstar.

Getting solid boxes of shields happens, it's part of the hobby.
That's why I like small pick ups at different banks to avoid one big pick up of solid zinc.
My banks know what I want and sell the new pennies to their commercial customers and save me the good ones.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby twoten01 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:39 pm

I have it alot easier than most on here, in that I pickup and dump at the same bank( I do have to roll my zincs though). My mom is the branch manager, and I am engaged to the vault teller. So I could order 100 boxes a week if I wanted, but I only hand sort so I usually get between 6-8 boxes a week. In the past 3 years at this rate or even more, I have only received full zinc boxes, but all 3 times I got a full zinc box, of my other boxes has had an IH, so I didn't mind much.
twoten01
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tuleja » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:20 am

I have been averaging about 7 boxes a week for over a year now and never had a box of only 2012 or 2013's. I might be very lucky or solid boxes might be location specific and not be in my location.
I have one bank that orders me 3 boxes every week, I usually rotate another 3 box order between other banks, and pick up single boxes as needed from banks I haven't put an order into. If you want more than 1 box from a bank at a time, I suggest you put an order in for them as not all banks have huge vaults to store lots of coins.
As RichardPenny stated, your dump plan might be harder than your pickups depending where you live. I could do a lot more cents per week if I lived in a better location. Where I live there is only 1 bank with a coin counter anywhere near me, and I have no interest in rolling my zincs. I do buy a lot of stuff from Amazon and Lowes, so I take advantage of the coinstar's free gift certificates when I need to make purchases from those places.
tuleja
Penny Pincher Member

Postby dakota1955 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:57 am

I get from my bank whatever they have in $50 bags if I want them. That can be 1 to 4 bags a week. These bags are from the counter in the bank.I also get the dimes and nickles. Back about 4 months ago that was over $5000 in coins for a week.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby algae21 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:17 am

I've got two different banks that each order me $100 every week. They will probably get me more when I'm ready. Dumping is more of a chore. I had to open an account at TD bank about 45 minutes away. It's a bit of drive, BUT, it's also across the road from the nearest Chik-Fill-A so it turns into a monthly treat. The money I'm saving by avoiding Coinstar just goes to chicken. :D
algae21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby djt76esq » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:29 am

Thanks for all the responses. So the dumping issue is because one would have to roll everything sorted? or are there any other "dumping" issues?
djt76esq

Postby algae21 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:39 am

djt76esq wrote:Thanks for all the responses. So the dumping issue is because one would have to roll everything sorted? or are there any other "dumping" issues?

If a bank sells you pennies, they don't want them back. It's bad etiquette to dump pennies at the same banks you acquire them from.
algae21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mishra142 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:23 pm

I find it best to always be on the look out to acquire boxes/bags. I have probably a half dozen penny "supply" banks the highest amount is one branch I get 8 boxes weekly. A typical order for me would be 4 boxes. I like to try to stockpile boxes although lately it's been difficult to keep up with my sorting. Dumping for me at least is much more crutial than supply.
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:12 am

Standard order for me is 24 boxes.. but I have a lot of smaller pickups and drive-bys as well. If you get 2013's early enough in the year it is better than getting regular circulated cents. No sorting involved.. just sell them for a good profit and have another member ship you CTU's to build your hoard. Of course you hardly ever get the new pennies when you want them. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby mishra142 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:39 am

I'd love to have a 24 box order. I was scared to ask for the increase from 4 to 8. Ill have to stay at 8 for a while and let them get comfortable there before I try another increase lol.
old feedback link:

mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:31 am

Come on now, "scared" to ask for more. Just ask how many can I order? The vault teller will tell you what they will order for you. I tried to be like Hoard and asked for 24 boxes....the Vault teller said how about 12 on Tuesday and 12 on Friday. Works for both of us.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby mishra142 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm a little gun shy I've been cut off quite a few times. I try to take the conservative approach when dealing with pick ups and dumps. Small increases try to stay very consistent.
old feedback link:

mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:44 pm

Me too... my supply bank's been very nice to me so far, but I'm still wary of asking for too much lest I upset them.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:51 pm

I will admit to being cut off a few times.. maybe more than a few times. You try to learn from it.

I love when they tell me.. "You can order as many as you want"
I say "You probably don't really want to tell me that"
You have to call them on it when they say that.. just ask for a bunch and take whatever they are willing to give you.
Act like a 24 box order is no big deal.. heck, it's only 600 dollars.

If you are gonna get the bigger orders it is a good idea to get a cart. I am getting lazy.. so anything over about 8 boxes I just use the cart. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:54 pm

Picking up another 24 boxes tomorrow.. sure hope they're zinc. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby scyther » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:31 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Picking up another 24 boxes tomorrow.. sure hope they're zinc. :mrgreen:

Oh, they will be... bright, shiny 2012s.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:37 am

Heck, I am such a good marketer.. I can even sell 12's. I figure if I keep picking up the 12's I will eventually run them out and get to the good stuff. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:28 am

Picked up a couple of boxes from a new source bank today. As I put them in the trunk of PennyHauler 1 I checked them.. 1 box of of 2013 and 1 circ box. I wnt back in to place my order for next week. She said "Sure, I can get you 2 boxes for next week" I asked if I could get more (never hurts to ask) and she asked how many I wanted. I told her my normal order is 24 boxes. She offered to get me 10 boxes. I love it when I can get a new source bank up to a reasonable weekly order. Of course as part of the development plan there will definitely be chocolate involved next week. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby scyther » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:01 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Picked up a couple of boxes from a new source bank today. As I put them in the trunk of PennyHauler 1 I checked them.. 1 box of of 2013 and 1 circ box. I wnt back in to place my order for next week. She said "Sure, I can get you 2 boxes for next week" I asked if I could get more (never hurts to ask) and she asked how many I wanted. I told her my normal order is 24 boxes. She offered to get me 10 boxes. I love it when I can get a new source bank up to a reasonable weekly order. Of course as part of the development plan there will definitely be chocolate involved next week. :mrgreen:

How much do you usually sell new pennies for?
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:29 am

scyther wrote:How much do you usually sell new pennies for?

It depends on how new they are. When the new ones come out they go for substantial premiums. If you wait a few months they become much cheaper. I have new ones from 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 that are all pretty reasonable. Ideally you do 3-4 boxes at a time so the shipping per box is reasonable. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:39 am

Every time I take a step up the penny sorting ladder to a higher level of sorting I start to feel pretty good about my self. Sort of a made it up to the "Big Dogs Circle" kinda thing. That is until I read what the "Big Dogs" are really doing. But, it just gives me a higher goal and standards to accomplish. For that, I thank you Big Dogs for being such great role models for me. Back to the question at hand . . .

I have just this last week gotten my fav tellers at my two podunk banks to agree to sell me two (2) boxes/week each. One took about 10 seconds . . . to finally say yes. The other was worried she'd be selling me new Brinks boxes. Opened up a third bank finally in the "City". Seems to be the only one local with a coin counter. They charge 2.5%. I consider it a cost of doing business so I don't have to roll so many. I dumped 10,K just to see what the reaction would be: A lot of extra little slips of paper filled out, a ledger line completed and no one acted like it was anything special. The new teller assured me there were worse kinds of paperwork she could be doing. And now the wheel spins a little bit faster, stacks go up a bit more frequently. Life is good.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby algae21 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:48 am

johnbrickner wrote: Seems to be the only one local with a coin counter. They charge 2.5%. I consider it a cost of doing business so I don't have to roll so many. I dumped 10,K just to see what the reaction would be: A lot of extra little slips of paper filled out, a ledger line completed and no one acted like it was anything special. The new teller assured me there were worse kinds of paperwork she could be doing.

I opened an account at TD bank to dump. The first batch was $400 worth of pennies and the guy who set up my account actually stood there dumping the pennies for me. I asked him if they had a lot of penny dumps. Not really, but he said that one guy brought in $32,000 worth one time. I asked him if they were all pennies..... and it was an affirmative "yes". He said the guy tied up the coin counter, and a teller, for the entire day and still didn't finish them all.
algae21
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:19 pm

johnbrickner wrote: They charge 2.5%. I consider it a cost of doing business so I don't have to roll so many. I dumped 10,K just to see what the reaction would be:

That 2.5% can add up.. especially if doing halves. You might check into seeing if one of your banks will take precounted bags for deposit. Some will give you immediate credit and some will take the deposti "subject to count" and credit your account a few days later. It can be quite conveniet.. just bag your own using a high speed counter at home and take them down to deposit.. no waiting for their machine or for a teller to change the bags. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby djt76esq » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks for all the great info guys!
djt76esq

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing