Is this true? See Ebay auction

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Is this true? See Ebay auction

Postby Finder » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:49 am

"each Lakota copper round is equivalent to 453.6 Lincoln pennies in actual copper content. Based on THAT comparison, each Lakota round is worth $4.54 in USD!!! "

http://cgi.ebay.com/500-x-1-oz-Lakota-C ... 255fdfed47

according to Coinflation:

There are 2.9506 pounds of copper and 0.1553 pounds of zinc in $4.53 face value of copper cent(s).

Oh, nevermind, I see he is talking about ZINC pennies.

A better way to say it would be:

"each Lakota copper round is equivalent to 453.6 POST 1982 Lincoln pennies in actual copper content. Based on THAT comparison, each Lakota round is worth $4.54 in USD!!! "

Intentionally unclear? You decide.

Meanwhile, lets do ThIs comparison. Each Lakota round selling for an av of $2-4$ (lets say $3) is the equivilent of paying $48 for only 1 lb of copper!

Or, put another way each of these overpriced rounds are equal to about 10 pre 1982 copper pennies in copper content.

Thats 10 pennies you can find in ONE roll.

so lets take his 4.53 and buy 9 rolls of pennies at the bank...
we average 10 pre 1982's per roll. now we have 90 copper coins.
thats 2.53 melt value and you still have $3.63 left.
you just turned the 4.53 into....wait for it....

$6.16.

I wish I had a foundry and could melt my wire scraps into bars or coins...people are paying absurd prices for them.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Is this true? See Ebay auction

Postby 999Ni » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:02 am

good analysis.....

personally, i bought ONE cu round just to have it and look at, that's it, waaaayyyyyyyyyy overpriced.
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Finder » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:24 am

Yeah they are pretty, Ill probably snipe just one eventually for the same reason.

I searched 14 rolls last night, 143 coppers and 2 wheats, one 1939 my oldest so far.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NoCents » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:43 am

Only $825.oo? Slight mare up ya think?
I like my guns the same way Obama likes is immigrants.....UNDOCUMENTED!!!!

NoCents User Feedback
NoCents
Penny Collector Member

Postby rickygee » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:30 pm

If you want to pick up some similar rounds on the cheap get a few from Bud's Gun Shop. As far as I can tell these are minted by the same place that mints the Lakota rounds. Buck and a half each. I bought a few for stocking stuffers and the guys at work loved them!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/inde ... nbar/black
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:03 pm

If copper rounds are so overpriced, and the sellers are making such "absurd" profits, why aren't you all running out and making your own? :twisted:

Is it because it requires a punch press, tumbling/cleaning equipment, a rimming machine, a coining press, dies, and other support equipment, easily costing over $100,000? :shock: Or is it because you'd have to buy $5000+ of copper sheet material at a time to get it anywhere close to spot (and still not at spot)? Or is it because it requires skilled labor to operate the equipment, and additional labor to package and ship orders? Or is it because you would have to market and sell tens of thousands of rounds just to break even on your equipment investment? Not to mention the cost of electricity and a building to house everything...

Hmmm, maybe $2 - $3 per round isn't that bad after all. Thousands of rounds wouldn't be moving out the door at those prices if there wasn't demand for it. Ahh, the beauty of a free market 8-)

But back to the original post. Although that type of marketing isn't technically false, it is misleading. You won't catch me making claims like that. You may, however, catch me explaining why you can't buy a well-crafted copper product for exactly the value of the copper it contains :lol: Next time you go to Lowe's, tell the clerk they should be selling their copper pipe and wire for $4.25/pound and see how far you get...
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 999Ni » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:24 pm

natsb88 wrote:If copper rounds are so overpriced, and the sellers are making such "absurd" profits, why aren't you all running out and making your own? :twisted:

Next time you go to Lowe's, tell the clerk they should be selling their copper pipe and wire for $4.25/pound and see how far you get...

Well, don't hafta make our own when the gov't made these awesome .950Cu coins for us already that can be had at face.

Yea if you went to Lowe's and said that, this is what the clerk would do ----> :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby appjoe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:43 am

natsb88 wrote:If copper rounds are so overpriced, and the sellers are making such "absurd" profits, why aren't you all running out and making your own? :twisted:

Is it because it requires a punch press, tumbling/cleaning equipment, a rimming machine, a coining press, dies, and other support equipment, easily costing over $100,000? :shock: Or is it because you'd have to buy $5000+ of copper sheet material at a time to get it anywhere close to spot (and still not at spot)? Or is it because it requires skilled labor to operate the equipment, and additional labor to package and ship orders? Or is it because you would have to market and sell tens of thousands of rounds just to break even on your equipment investment? Not to mention the cost of electricity and a building to house everything...

Hmmm, maybe $2 - $3 per round isn't that bad after all. Thousands of rounds wouldn't be moving out the door at those prices if there wasn't demand for it. Ahh, the beauty of a free market 8-)

But back to the original post. Although that type of marketing isn't technically false, it is misleading. You won't catch me making claims like that. You may, however, catch me explaining why you can't buy a well-crafted copper product for exactly the value of the copper it contains :lol: Next time you go to Lowe's, tell the clerk they should be selling their copper pipe and wire for $4.25/pound and see how far you get...

I have to agree with Nate. I think sometimes we are geting to wraped up in PM's We are thinking of the copper by weight value and not the beauty of the round. People collect a lot of things that they don't value by what they are made of. Look at stamp collecting how much is the paper worth in that stamp? or that 1908S indian head it's only worth 2.8 cents because that's how much copper is in it. It doesn't matter it's the joy of the hobby, of the collecting not just the value of the PM's I just bought some copper rounds and bars and I didn't even think about the value of the copper. It was a copper bar with a Harley on it I also ride a motorcycle and I liked the the copper bar and a few others that caught my eye, and yes I bought them from The Copper Cave it was my 1st purchase and I plan on buying more. Also 35 years ago I was buying silver rounds because I liked the way they looked and I was told I was crazy for paying a premium I think it was about $1.00 over spot but spot then was around $3.00 now look how much ahead I am.
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Finder » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:04 pm

rickygee wrote:If you want to pick up some similar rounds on the cheap get a few from Bud's Gun Shop. As far as I can tell these are minted by the same place that mints the Lakota rounds. Buck and a half each. I bought a few for stocking stuffers and the guys at work loved them!

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/inde ... nbar/black

Thanks for the link Rickygee, Good price. I havent been able to find any nearly that cheap.
Ill buy a few of those.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Finder » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:11 pm

I assume you sell them.
No offense intended,really.
But those who pay $40 a lb will never see green in their lifetime imo.
I fully support the free market also.
As well as free speech if someone thinks they are a bad investment, or it they dont.
Funny you suggest making me some..I certianly considered it.
After looking into making them, I quickly learned they are no easy task to make, especially if you want them to look good. Dangerous work also.

Ill be buying a few from buds, cause they are so pretty. The 2nd amendment one is awesome.
But my investment will be in pennies.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Finder » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Well, don't hafta make our own when the gov't made these awesome .950Cu coins for us already that can be had at face.

Well said. That was very nice of them. :)
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby lewbo » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:56 pm

I love it when things get testy! Coins are like our kids we defend them to the end. I bought some Lakota rounds here on the forum, I got a lot of where did you get those comments at work. Nobody said WOW you overpaid.
Selling US pennies 1.9 face shipped. Never mind I am keeping everything!
lewbo
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jasmatk » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:10 am

I bought 25 lakota rounds at about $1.50 each and i love them also like the gun dollars check out this link they are only taking preorders now but its a great price at around $28 for a roll of 25 shippedhttp://www.survivalpodcast.net/store/store/
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 999Ni » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:06 pm

^^ best price i've ever seen right there. tempting..... :lol:
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HPMBTT » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:53 pm

Tempting...but again, even at one dollar per avoirdupois (AV) oz coin, that's still too much.

Doing the math, I come up with the following: 28.34g each (AV ounce, NOT troy ounce), so..16 oz per pound equals 16 copper coins for one pound. Copper spot price = $4.25/lb. So 4.25/16 = equals 26.5 cents per coin. But the sale price is $1.00 per coin, or 73.5 cents over for each coin. And remember, that doesn't even include shipping, which is reasonable at $5.00 for 50 coins, so another .10 each. So that's a total of $1.10 for each coin. Way too high in my book; I'll stick with silver/gold/nickel and of course, keep hoarding my copper pennies.

(I guess I'm just a cheap bastard...sigh. I know, I know, you have to pay for manufacturing them. I guess I just can't justify the cost.

They sure are beautiful, though. Great stuff, if you are a collector.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Finder » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:57 pm

thanks for explaining the Av oz deal...

I can see how as a collector having one each of the well designed coins could make it into my hoard.

They would be great for a poker game too.

But as an investment Ill have to pass.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JadeDragon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:30 am

Copper bars are a collectible, not an investment based on weight like copper pennies. Buy them because they look great, are fun to own, and might go up in value as a collectable.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby Finder » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:48 pm

"Copper bars are a collectible, not an investment based on weight..."

If its not an investment based on weight why do the 2 kilo bars sell for more than the 1lb or 1 oz coins? Because it is based on weight.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby jasmatk » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:50 pm

Finder wrote:"Copper bars are a collectible, not an investment based on weight..."

If its not an investment based on weight why do the 2 kilo bars sell for more than the 1lb or 1 oz coins? Because it is based on weight.

It cost more becouse it is more the same reason a gallon of milk cost more than a half gallon MORE GOODS=MORE MONEY :shock: :shock: :shock:
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:02 pm

try going to a jewely store and tell them you will only pay for the weight of the gold in that gold necklace and they will laugh you right out of the shop. ARTISTIC VALUE...If you dont want to pay for the ARTISTIC VALUE then go away.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Finder » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:49 pm

No need to get snippy about it.
Im just pointing out the foolishness of buying bars and coins at $40 a lb.

Get you some.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:00 pm

Hedging my bets - just bought 100 of those rounds. Will hold them 20 years and see if they are worth more than the £74 GBP inc shipping they cost me...
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Finder » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Good luck! I hope they do well for you bud.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Well, I totally missed the boat on gold, and I still don't have nearly as much silver as I would like; so I'm damned if I'll miss out on copper's potential.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Finder » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Same here. Im just putting mine in copper pennies. Although Im sure to buy a round or 2 for their beauty alone.

One can average a 20% return on the pennies, now.
More if copper continues to rise as predicted.

Just last night I got about 500 pennies out of a $25 box.
Thats over 4lbs of copper for $5 after dumping my zinc. Copper for $1.25 lb!

The box tonight was only about 300ish, still a good investment. Copper for $150 lb.

As far as the artistic value of gold and silver jewelry as an argument for copper art, even it very rarely sells for 10 times spot.

More usually 2, 3, or 4 times spot. Im sure there are exceptions.

I dont mean to bash sellers of bars or coins, or collectors of either.

But a truly good investment can stand scrutiny.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing