Good Way to Move Some Pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Good Way to Move Some Pennies?

Postby westky » Mon May 13, 2013 8:02 pm

I thought I would share this because if I hadn't been there I wouldn't have believed it. I recently went to an estate auction in Western Ky and they had a large amount of collectibles which included none less than a water bottle completely filled with pennies. I thought I would educate myself on the amount of pennies within and walk away with a bargain. My biggest worry would be how to get it in the truck without breaking it. So I was prepared with several buckets and ready to go. The photo on Auction Zip looked to be a jug that was larger than 5 gallons and in a wood crate from Eureka Springs, Ar. It was filled to the cork in the top. I'm not an expert on water bottles but it appeared to be larger than my 5 gallon jugs that I use at home. I had thought it must be at least 8 gallons or more. Well upon my arrival and examination I found what actually looked to be about a 4 gallon bottle which was full of pennies. I could see pennies on the side in the 2000's way over half way down. My dreams and buckets were going to the wayside. A short time later the auction began and so did the action. I figured that there could be no more than $300 in pennies inside the jar. Well when the dust settled it had brought $550 + 6% tax for a final price of $583.00. Lessons learned - 1. Pictures can be deceiving. 2. Anything can happen at an auction. 3. Maybe consign a water bottle full of Zincs to the next auction.
westky

Re: Good Way to Move Some Pennies?

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon May 13, 2013 9:55 pm

westky wrote:I thought I would share this because if I hadn't been there I wouldn't have believed it. I recently went to an estate auction in Western Ky and they had a large amount of collectibles which included none less than a water bottle completely filled with pennies. I thought I would educate myself on the amount of pennies within and walk away with a bargain. My biggest worry would be how to get it in the truck without breaking it. So I was prepared with several buckets and ready to go. The photo on Auction Zip looked to be a jug that was larger than 5 gallons and in a wood crate from Eureka Springs, Ar. It was filled to the cork in the top. I'm not an expert on water bottles but it appeared to be larger than my 5 gallon jugs that I use at home. I had thought it must be at least 8 gallons or more. Well upon my arrival and examination I found what actually looked to be about a 4 gallon bottle which was full of pennies. I could see pennies on the side in the 2000's way over half way down. My dreams and buckets were going to the wayside. A short time later the auction began and so did the action. I figured that there could be no more than $300 in pennies inside the jar. Well when the dust settled it had brought $550 + 6% tax for a final price of $583.00. Lessons learned - 1. Pictures can be deceiving. 2. Anything can happen at an auction. 3. Maybe consign a water bottle full of Zincs to the next auction.

New penny dump! :)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby GGerrands » Mon May 13, 2013 11:59 pm

Auctions sure are getting popular. Maybe the way to make money at auctions is to hold them, rather than buy stuff at them. I blame Dave (of Storage Wars, not the realcenter).

Yuppppppppppppppp.
GGerrands
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cap » Tue May 14, 2013 6:57 pm

I have seen some stuff go crazy high at auctions while other stuff goes dirt cheap. Just depends who's there and how much they got.
Never fry bacon naked
cap

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing