Best Bag %

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Best Bag %

Postby kwebb70 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:46 am

Just sorted a bag that was 77% COPPER!!!!!!!!!!!
Mostly 60's & 70's only 1 wheat (1928s)
kwebb70
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Best Bag %

Postby pennypicker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Unbelievable! I'm still hitting a paltry 16% for copper. :cry: :cry:
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Nice bag. They do happen sometimes, keep up the searching. You never know what you'll find!

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby cunick » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:02 pm

kwebb70 wrote:Just sorted a bag that was 77% COPPER!!!!!!!!!!!
Mostly 60's & 70's only 1 wheat (1928s)

Last month I posted about what I now refer to as the "Magic Bag". It was the second $50 bag I had ever sorted and it had almost all 1958 to 1982. There were less than a dozen post 1982, and no pre 1960. There were about 30 non copper from 1982. Over 99% copper! :shock:

I have sorted several bags since, and they all seem to run a bit over 20% copper.

I concluded that I had somehow acquired a stash which had been turned in to the bank. Whoever put the stash together did not distinguish between copper and zinc for 1982.

I don't expect to ever encounter another "Magic Bag" like that. :(
cunick

Postby TheJonasCollegeFund » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:48 pm

My best was just shy of 60% but had about 100 wheats if I remember correctly. My worst was about 16%...somebody's dumps I guess!
TheJonasCollegeFund

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:04 pm

Just before Christmas I picked up my usual $50-$150 from my local bank in CRW.

This time the ladies handed over $110.00. Running it through the ryedale Axcent was a waste of time.....IT WAS ALL PRE 78 CU.

The pickup was lighter in wheats than expected but pure 95% CU bullion non the less.

Sorry to be "that guy" that is a one upper .....but it is a true story.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:31 am

Have lurked here for a few weeks and finally just registered. I had a modest goals for pennies, to accumulate a small SHTF stash that would allow a lower level of trading currency, along with box nickels. Already had invested in junk and investment silver, and gold, and my wife was starting to get nervous about putting so much into that, so I decided to take a turn at pennies and nickels, telling her that "I can't lose on these, they will always be worth at least their face value". (And she was happy I was listening to her.) On pennies, I started hand-sorting a few weeks ago, gradually accumulated my first $25 face as I learned the best techniques (and realized a machine sorter wasn't cost-effective for what I was needing), and was working on accumulating my second box. Was a bit painful because typical yield for me was in the high teens - some into the low 20s, but others as low as 15%. Wasn't sure I was going to make my goal before I lost interest, but decided to continue through my Christmas break since I had a little time on my hands.

This week I hit my 2011 goal! To make the story short, I happened to time a visit to my nearest BofA so that I was able to collect most of $100 face in CWR that had been dumped on Christmas Eve. Most of them, about 150 rolls of the 200ish, were pure copper. The balance were 40-60% copper. Overnight my stash went from 1 box plus, to 5 boxes; so now at about $125 face. I will probably continue this into the new year, but the "pressure" to accumluate before all you big time sorters grab them all is now relieved. ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby ramy98 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:03 am

got to sort through $15 of pennies yesterday and I was averaging around 40% CU give or take....

one roll of 50 was 47 or 46 CU cents :)
ramy98

Postby Finder » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:07 pm

hope to get some action like y'all, my best was 25%. Which works for me, compared to the last box was really bunk. 8 per roll avg. but half a dozen wheats, all 40s and 50s.
My, you have a lot of coins! Please wait while we catch up.
Finder
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing