Japanese TV news segment on penny investing

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Japanese TV news segment on penny investing

Postby TVTokyo » Tue May 28, 2013 12:29 pm

I am a producer at TV Tokyo, one of Japan’s largest TV networks. We are doing a TV news segment on the possible elimination of penny minting in the US since Japan eyes the usefulness and cost of its own 1 yen coin in a similar light.

I understand that there is a number of penny bullion investors in this community and I wanted to reach out. I was hoping to get in touch with some of you who might be interested in participating in our news story.

I am looking for someone who is collecting large amounts of pre 1982 copper pennies for their value as bullion investment. I would like to film and interview this person on their penny collecting practice - things like why, how, and what the future fate of the penny looks like. We would also like to film the collection of pennies.

This news segment would be part of TV Tokyo’s daily morning business news program, Morning Satellite. If you wish to take a look at some of our previous segments from the US, please find them here (Japanese language):
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/mv/nms/ny/post_41514/ (Cybersecurity)
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/mv/nms/ny/post_38367/ (Online education)

I am very aware that this request might be difficult to accommodate given the nature of the bullion’s value, but I want to emphasize that we are prepared to adhere to any filming restrictions or security guidelines that you may have.

I think that as we explore the possibility of penny elimination in the US, investing in its copper content is a fascinating aspect of this story. I am very excited about making a great news piece.

If you or someone you know is up for interviewing with us, please contact me at the following:

Ryan McCune
ryan@tv-tokyo-america.com
212-261-6473

Thanks!
TVTokyo

Re: Japanese TV news segment on penny investing

Postby henrysmedford » Tue May 28, 2013 12:51 pm

I have found one yen coin in US roll of coins. Are you looking for someone on the East coast?
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TVTokyo » Tue May 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi Henry. Thanks for the reply!

Yes. Someone on the East coast is preferable. Do you know of anyone who might be a fit?
TVTokyo

Postby stlouiscoin » Tue May 28, 2013 2:48 pm

henrysmedfor has already been on a national news network (nbc I think?) for a story about the same thing. he would be perfect for you :thumbup:
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby henrysmedford » Tue May 28, 2013 2:59 pm

stlouiscoin wrote:henrysmedfor has already been on a national news network (nbc I think?) for a story about the same thing. he would be perfect for you :thumbup:

I am on the west coast. But the Nightline story can be seen here. http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/extreme-penny-hoarders-hope-cash-15077826
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Tue May 28, 2013 5:21 pm

I am not personally interested, but it is pretty cool that there is media exposure even overseas for this! I am sure some of the people on here want to be famous! 8-)
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue May 28, 2013 5:34 pm

I'm pretty sure Adam Young speaks Japanese.

He might have even invented it!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby theo » Tue May 28, 2013 5:44 pm

I'm not sure if there are a lot "copper investors" on the east coast so Henrysmedford and Adam (Portland Mint?) are probably your two best bets.

I think it will be an interesting story in light of the BOJ's new monetary easing policy. One major theme of this site is that almost all of us are concerned about inflation. Most people who are looking for an inflation hedge invest in silver a gold, however many of us believe that collecting pennies and nickels is a low cost, low risk option for hedging against a weakening dollar (or yen).

Good luck with your story.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Tue May 28, 2013 5:53 pm

If the yen continues to experience significant inflation, will it become worthwhile to hoard 1 yen coins? They're made of light, worthless aluminum, but it's better than steel...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby John_doe » Tue May 28, 2013 6:07 pm

scyther wrote:If the yen continues to experience significant inflation, will it become worthwhile to hoard 1 yen coins? They're made of light, worthless aluminum, but it's better than steel...

aluminum is not a cheap metal, it is just so light it would take up tons of space to hoard it. I would not mind adding some aluminum to my stash, the only problem is it would take a lot of space just to make a few tons. It is also recycled in high volumes which would be another downfall for me. I will agree the yen has been inflating pretty bad. Their banks are going to have a lot of trouble keeping that in check in the years to come.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Tue May 28, 2013 8:26 pm

John_doe wrote:
scyther wrote:If the yen continues to experience significant inflation, will it become worthwhile to hoard 1 yen coins? They're made of light, worthless aluminum, but it's better than steel...

aluminum is not a cheap metal, it is just so light it would take up tons of space to hoard it. I would not mind adding some aluminum to my stash, the only problem is it would take a lot of space just to make a few tons. It is also recycled in high volumes which would be another downfall for me. I will agree the yen has been inflating pretty bad. Their banks are going to have a lot of trouble keeping that in check in the years to come.

It's about 82 cents a pound... a little cheaper than zinc. And it would take a lot of yens just to make one pound. So the more I think about it, the more I realize this isn't at all feasible yet. But if the inflation continues at this pace, it may be in a few years... Although since most Japanese people live in apartments or small houses, I don't think it would ever be feasible for them to store aluminum coins by the ton...
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Catfish4u » Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 pm

I had quite a few pennies at one time. I lost most of those in an unfortunate boating accident. I think many on this forum have suffered from similar fates. Copper, silver and gold seem to be very bad luck for those that attempt to accumulate those metals!
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Computer Jones » Tue May 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Not to hijack the thread, but...

I save cans and other Al bits in a 30 Gal. trash can.

I make Aluminum "pancakes" when I burn brush, tree tops and other woody yard waste.
When the pile gets burned down to a big bed of coals, I put a 12" cast iron pan on a big pile of coals. When it gets glowing orange I add the cans. They melt pretty quick, when the Cast Iron pan is 3/4, or a bit more, full I skim the slag with my clam digging shovel and let the fire die down.
The next day I turn the pan upside down and smack it on a big stump. The resulting cast Al "pancakes" actually have a bit of weight to them. (I think I should put a couple on the bathroom scale to get an average weight, I've never weighed one.) They stack easily and I figure I'll sell them if I ever need the $'s. Otherwise my kids get them when I'm worm food.

The same process works with old car/truck batteries to make Pb "pancakes", (I use baking soda in the cells to settle the H2So4 down) and break the batteries up with the log maul to get the lead plates. Be careful about which way the wind is blowing, you don't want to breathe anywhere close to where the fumes are rising!!!
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Elcid69 » Tue May 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Please excuse Mr. TVToyko - seems we got off track, what's the question again??
I want to buy " War Nickel's & Steel Pennies"
Elcid69
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Tue May 28, 2013 10:11 pm

It might be worth a trip to Michigan to do a story on Mr. Ryedale.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Tue May 28, 2013 10:51 pm

scyther wrote:
John_doe wrote:

It's about 82 cents a pound... a little cheaper than zinc. And it would take a lot of yens just to make one pound. So the more I think about it, the more I realize this isn't at all feasible yet. But if the inflation continues at this pace, it may be in a few years... Although since most Japanese people live in apartments or small houses, I don't think it would ever be feasible for them to store aluminum coins by the ton...

I agree. If I had the space I would personally do it. I already save aluminum cans.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue May 28, 2013 11:20 pm

Catfish4u wrote:I had quite a few pennies at one time. I lost most of those in an unfortunate boating accident. I think many on this forum have suffered from similar fates. Copper, silver and gold seem to be very bad luck for those that attempt to accumulate those metals!

Dude you are a sage.

But let me add the perils of putting guns and ammo on a boat. That's how I sunk mine!

I sold what was left over to a Afro-American (lesbian?) guy in a prius, with an Obama 2012 decal.

You all know this though.

What were we talking about again?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby cesariojpn » Tue May 28, 2013 11:57 pm

Is this gonna be like Soko Ga Shiritai which will be informative and insightful, or like Downtown DX with some B-list celebrities cooing over every kawaii shot and awwing over every dramatic scene and making random/stupid commentary?
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:11 am

And now, Americahan penny hoardahas.
konichiwa
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Thogey » Wed May 29, 2013 12:12 am

When I was 17, back in 1983. I starred in a Japanese commercial for Misuno boxing gear.

It was a blast!. the outfit was called ..I think "one minute video"

The night before the shoot. These guys took me out to a swanky Japanese restaurant. I gorged myself on, premium, short order sushi and they got me drunk on JW black and Saporro.

A hot Japanese chick woke me from my slumber, in my private room at a Hilton hotel in LA, did my make up, yes make up. They made my face look bruised and beat up. It took like 3 hours.

I was paid $500 cash for one day. remember this is 1983 and I was not an actor, just some kid they picked out of a gym.

I never saw the commercial, It was shown in Japan. Remember this is before the internet.

They came to my house the following year and hand delivered FAN MAIL!. I had a Japanese teenager sending me whiskey bon bons while I was in Basic Training!

If that's still how they roll, I would do the interview....with a pixilated face and altered voice of course.
Thogey

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed May 29, 2013 1:55 am

Pretty sure most of the serious copper hoarders are west of the Mississippi. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby shinnosuke » Wed May 29, 2013 2:17 am

Did somebody say, Japanese?

C'mon, guys. Somebody with a pile on the East Coast man up and help Ryan meet his deadline.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Wed May 29, 2013 5:15 am

I'm surprised how many members we have here who either have lived in Japan, are interested in Japan, have done a Japanese commercial, know Japanese, etc. Is anyone here actually Japanese?
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed May 29, 2013 6:47 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Pretty sure most of the serious copper hoarders are west of the Mississippi. :mrgreen:

So, that would explain why our cu percentages are so high in New England ;)
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby shinnosuke » Wed May 29, 2013 7:47 am

Thogey, your experience reminded me of the shoot I did in 1997. The star was Mike Piazza and the product he endorsed was whitey-tighty underwear made by Gunze. In the CM, he slides into home plate wearing nothing but a grin and his briefs. Played pretty well in Japan...and only Japan. Of course, Mike made more than $500 and some sushi.

Back to the topic...Who wants to brag about their hoard on JP TV?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing