Cedar Chest storage for pennies?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Cedar Chest storage for pennies?

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:41 pm

I have my copper pennies wrapped and boxed up ($25 boxes) and are now stored in the corner of my unfinished basement on concrete. I don't think its too moist, but there certainly is a bit of dampness as its a basement after all. I have the potential to acquire an inexpensive old cedar chest that is pretty large and might be perfect for storing my penny boxes. Any thoughts on storing coins in a cedar chest?? I saw something odd that said you shouldn't store copper coins near aromatic woods (causes spotting?). I've never heard this before and don't know how reliable this is. Any opinions on if a cedar chest is a bad storage option (the coins would still be wrapped and boxed). I'll likely use this cedar chest as my new TV stand in the finished part of my basement (with copper pennies stored inside which no one would realize!).
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Cedar Chest storage for pennies?

Postby everything » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Store in a plastic storage container or something like that. Maybe on top of a small wooden pallet to keep them off the ground.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:16 am

I do not think that a cedar chest is a better way to store pennies because it might be too airtight. Humidity is your enemy.

I wonder if you might get some nice toning on the exposed coins (out of a box....maybe try with some silver, it might take a couple years...)

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:16 am

I would get the Cedar chest anyway and just not store pennies in it. You will want some sort of barrier between the concrete and the coins. You should also use something to absorb the humidity. They have some nice bags specifically designed for that available at most home improvement stores. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Mr Paradise » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Store them with some chalk to help absorb the O.
Mr Paradise
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing