My penny buyer couldn't sell his pennies to the coin shop

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

My penny buyer couldn't sell his pennies to the coin shop

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:28 pm

I had a guy that was buying a ctu from me each month until his work slowed and he stopped buying form me a few month ago. His name came up on my phone so I assumed he wanted pennies again but instead he said that he had to take all his pennies to the coin dealer to sell them and that the dealer would not take them because they had 82's mixed in. He said they he went through them all and pulled out 46.00 in 82's and Canadians that he took to the bank, I told him that they were machine sorted and everything was copper. He said that future ones would need the 82's and Canadians removed. It all caught me by surprise so I wasn't sure what to say?

Should I offer him some money back?
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Re: My penny buyer couldn't sell his pennies to the coin sho

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:30 pm

No. Unless you had already agreed to ensure a specific date range, copper is copper, and the deal should have been for machine sorted copper.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby misteroman » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Absolutely not and the coin dealer doesnt seem to be very smart either as Canadians are much more valuable then their US counterparts.
misteroman

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Thanks for the advice, I just don't want to cheat anyone. He knew I was machine sorting them, we had discussions about how I sort and how I count them as well as how many hours of sorting it takes to make a ctu with the ryedale ace. I gave him advice on where to get pennies to sort himself but after he sorted a couple boxes he gave up and just bought from me.

I guess we will have to have a discussion if he want any more, I really don't feel like picking all the 82's out
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby theo » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:04 pm

stonewallrabbitry wrote:Thanks for the advice, I just don't want to cheat anyone. He knew I was machine sorting them, we had discussions about how I sort and how I count them as well as how many hours of sorting it takes to make a ctu with the ryedale ace. I gave him advice on where to get pennies to sort himself but after he sorted a couple boxes he gave up and just bought from me.

I guess we will have to have a discussion if he want any more, I really don't feel like picking all the 82's out

I agree with the others. What he is asking for is unrealistic. You could also charge him a higher price.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:01 pm

You could offer to buy the '82s back if he wants to sort them out.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:21 am

Engineer wrote:You could offer to buy the '82s back if he wants to sort them out.

Bingo.
barrytrot

Postby johnbrickner » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:38 am

I think I would have offered to buy it back. But not at the price sold. Deeply discounted, perhaps just better than the coin dealer offered. You are not cheating anyone. As, if he is taking them to a dealer/bank he should not have bought them to begin with.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Madwest » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:35 am

Let him hand sort the 1982 and CAD and give him that much in credit towards his next CTU.

Keep his "rejects" and put them in your personal stack.
Madwest
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:54 am

johnbrickner wrote:I think I would have offered to buy it back. But not at the price sold. Deeply discounted, perhaps just better than the coin dealer offered. You are not cheating anyone. As, if he is taking them to a dealer/bank he should not have bought them to begin with.

Why discounted? What is the harm in buying it back at "par"? Deeply discounted sounds like a bad way to show good business practices to your buyer.
barrytrot

Postby Morsecode » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:49 pm

We talked about this in a thread a couple years ago. As a handsorter, I kept the cu '82 separate. Some people thought that was unnecessary, but you see what happens down the road to resale.

"I bought these from a guy whose cousin got them online from some dude who owned some kind of machine that sorted copper from zinc..." :?
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby scyther » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Hm, glad I keep my 82s separate. In fact I through them in with the "ugly abes"... they're going to the furnace the day it's legal, if that ever happens.

And like everyone else said, you don't owe him anything. Frankly I'm surprised a coin dealer would buy them at all. It's still a developing market...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Bluegill » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:55 pm

If it was fully disclosed and understood that these were machine sorted coins and that they would contain 1982's and Cdn, then you did absolutely nothing wrong in any way, shape or form.

As far as future sales requiring them to be removed, that is extra labor, which means extra cost...

As far as whether to buy them back and on what terms, that is a decision you, and only you can make. Only you can accurately ascertain the circumstances and make a decision that is in the situations best interest.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby stonewallrabbitry » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:06 pm

I would have bought the 82's and Canadians back from him for the same price as I sold them to him for if he would have told me before he cashed them in at the bank, I would have also been willing to buy all the coppers back for a fair value if he would have came to me before selling them to the dealer.

When he first started buying from me he said that he had been buying some from the coin dealer for 180.00 a ctu and that the dealer was buying them for 125.00. I do not know what the dealer paid him for the ones he sold now
stonewallrabbitry
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mr Paradise » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:30 am

I keep all my 82's separate along with their Canadian brothers. :thumbup:
Mr Paradise
Penny Sorter Member

Postby bookshelf » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:19 am

I'm another sorter who keeps 82's and Canadians separate.
Wanted: current Japanese YEN coins and bills
bookshelf
Penny Pincher Member

Postby spacemanX » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:00 pm

i don't keep the 82s. also when i sell my CU pennies, the person doesn't want the 82s.
as for what to do. if you wish to keep selling to him, i would come up with a good arrangement. depends on how much he is buying the CTU.
spacemanX
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:00 pm

I know there are many coin dealers here and it is not my attempt to offend them. I learn from, and enjoy, their input here as much as anyone.

My experiences with local coin shops has been a mixed bag. Some good, some not so good.

I am sure the LCS had his reasons for not buying the 82's & Canadian mixed in with the other coppers. It's his shop and his livelihood, so he gets to make the decisions on what he will buy.

I think the best thing you can do is find out the name and phone number of the LCS in question. Call him up and ask why? Be cordial, not confrontational. Let it be a learning experience for you. Who knows? Maybe you can turn this around with better results! Maybe you can sell custom orders to the LCS directly if you can accommodate his needs. :thumbup:

Of course, custom orders would have to meet your additional costs, too. :angel:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:33 pm

Do coin dealers typically buy junk copper? I was under the impression that you had to sell these on ebay,craigslist, or realcent.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Not here. The three stores I deal with wouldn't take them at face. One eventually agreed to take a $100 bag for $100 in merchandise, but he emphasized he was doing me a favor. He was only going to schlep them to the bank. :|
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:24 pm

I didn't know ANY coin shops were in the Cu penny business.....
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:29 pm

bookshelf wrote:I'm another sorter who keeps 82's and Canadians separate.

I do the same thing. :wave:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby LooseChange » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:52 am

OneBiteAtATime wrote:I didn't know ANY coin shops were in the Cu penny business.....

I've got a shop about an hour away who sells 10lb bags at $40. They separate out all 82's

I don't think its a big market for them, they don't seem to be too interested in sorting and selling. Because the business has to factor in time/effort for everything they do, I'm sure they make much more on the numi stuff and their other PMs.
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby pennypicker » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:42 am

misteroman wrote:Absolutely not and the coin dealer doesnt seem to be very smart either as Canadians are much more valuable then their US counterparts.

Not altogether true. Lincoln copper cents contain 2.1 cents worth of copper whereas 1982 thru 1996 Canadian cents are smaller in size and contain only 1.7 cents worth of copper. 1980 & 1981 Canadian cents contain just 1.9 cents worth. Only Canadian cents 1979 and older are more valuable than their Lincoln counterparts.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby misteroman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:52 am

pennypicker wrote:
misteroman wrote:Absolutely not and the coin dealer doesnt seem to be very smart either as Canadians are much more valuable then their US counterparts.

Not altogether true. Lincoln copper cents contain 2.1 cents worth of copper whereas 1982 thru 1996 Canadian cents are smaller in size and contain only 1.7 cents worth of copper. 1980 & 1981 Canadian cents contain just 1.9 cents worth. Only Canadian cents 1979 and older are more valuable than their Lincoln counterparts.

But canadians sell on here for 2X face with relative ease. I just sold 20,000 myself for that personally a month or so ago.
You cant give US ones away for 1.5x hence the Canadians are more valuable .
misteroman

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing