The widow strikes again

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

The widow strikes again

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:18 am

I didn't plan on picking up coins today but I think I just got some guy's copper pennies that his widow brought in to deposit. I started the morning off by sorting a $25 batch of CWRs and used the zincs from that batch to top off a bag to haul to the credit union to dump. In the batch were three rolls full of pennies from the 1960's and 1970's. Those three were wrapped just like the rest of the batch but all the rest had the typical copper percentage in them. For some reason three solid copper rolls got in the batch. I checked my stats and the last time I found solid copper rolls was back in March when I scored a $25 box that a bank had repackaged with CWRs from someone's estate. But that was months ago.

I made my drop off at the credit union as planned and that should have been the end of it. But no. Across the street is a bank branch that I stop in at once in a while to get pennies to sort. I couldn't resist. Maybe the three lucky copper rolls this morning had something to do with it. I went in the branch and asked for $25 in pennies. The teller got $5 in CWRs from another teller and pulled out the $20 in CWRs that he had. The $20 batch was rolled up in a variety of old wrappers and they all had a customer's account number written on them. I chatted with the teller for a few minutes while he blacked out the account numbers on all the rolls before handing them over. As I walked out of the branch carrying my canvas bag with the $25 in rolls I was thinking that the bag felt heavier than normal for that amount.

When I got home I decided to weigh a few of the rolls. Too much planned for the day to take time to sort but I was curious if I had something special. The first one weighed in around 155 grams. Same with the second one and the third one. Time for a quick run back to the bank! I went to the same teller and asked if he had any more. No luck. I got all they had. He explained that a "grandmother" came in during the week to deposit the pennies. I immediately asked if she also brought in nickels, dimes, quarters, halves, or big dollar coins. She had not. All she had were the pennies.

I still haven't opened up the rolls. Maybe there's a bunch of uncirculated 1960's and 1970's pennies in there. Maybe they're heavy in wheat cents. There could even be an Indian hiding in there. I'll post what I find when I get around to sorting them.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: The widow strikes again

Postby ElderlyWidow » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:23 am

I'm glad to be rid of those filthy things!
ElderlyWidow

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:33 am

ElderlyWidow wrote:I'm glad to be rid of those filthy things!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:57 am

Update

There were a total of 29 rolls from the widow. None of the pennies were after 1982 but only three were wheat cents. The 1982's were split 18 copper vs. 17 zinc. The zincs were all 1982 (P) large date variety so I'm guessing the original sorter assumed the switch in date size coincided with the change in material. Overall a great batch to add to the pile.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing