What has been the historic copper to gold ratio?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

What has been the historic copper to gold ratio?

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Seems that banks and media has been caught up with gold prices like gold is the only thing that gets people going as a proxy for money and its fungible utility . Maybe metals,in general, have been worthy of speculating outright for price appreciation? Hasn't copper basically tracked gold in price growth percentage-wise over the decades?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: What has been the historic copper to gold ratio?

Postby johnbrickner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:28 pm

I don't have the exact numbers but, I seem to remember copper tracks gold similar to silver tracking gold with an R squared running from about .75 to .86. A perfect relationship being 1.0.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Re: What has been the historic copper to gold ratio?

Postby JerrySpringer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:53 pm

johnbrickner wrote:I don't have the exact numbers but, I seem to remember copper tracks gold similar to silver tracking gold with an R squared running from about .75 to .86. A perfect relationship being 1.0.

Standard deviation is ?

Dr. Copper has a good indicator to it as a money insurance is what I am supposing. We might go through periods of deflation and reduced industrial demand, but I am thinking that copper has to be the easiest play ever in metals nowadays. Cheap as sin to get versus paying spot+, if you sort pennies. I just wonder what will be the impetus to Gresham Law out the pre-1982 cents in a big swoop. It is not the spot price of copper right now. Given inflation trends, probably will take decades before people figure out they missed the opportunity to have set aside the coins.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing