Are these any good?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Are these any good?

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Today, I asked the bank for $20 in pennies...my first big venture in sorting. Nine rolls were in wrappers that looked machine rolled. All the visible coins are shiny new and the dates are 2010. I was wondering if these are from the mint. And is there a market for shiny zinc pennies? (I have pictures in .jpg format, but I don't know how to shrink them to meet the size requirement for this forum.)

If these pennies were yours, how would you dispose of them?

The remaining 31 rolls were 11% pre-1982 with 2 breakfast of champions and one Canadian penny with the dates 1867 - 1967. There were 17 1982s but I am not good enough to judge them yet. (Don't have a scale yet either.)

Hooked and willing to learn,
shinnosuke
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Are these any good?

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:19 pm

Isn't there anyone with an opinion on these coins? Are uncirculated rolls of 2010 pennies worth more than 50 cents?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby thunter » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:33 pm

I would just take those back to the bank. Now if they were 2009 LP4's that woild be another story altogether.
thunter
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks for the advice. Just checked on ebay where lots of the same pennies are being sold, but there are no bids on any of the auctions.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:56 am

My thoughts... can you afford to keep them? They may not be valuable right now... but you never know in the future! I bought a roll of halves the other day and they were 100% bi-centennials. OK... maybe there not worth anything now... but for 10 bucks... I can hold on to them for a bit and see. I do that with... for lack of better terminology... medium rare coins. Is a roll of 2010 coins rare or valuable? Not really... but... how often do you find them? I've never seen one! There at least rare to me! Sacajawea, Susan B., etc. I collect them all if and when I can afford to. After all... I only have their face amount in them. I like the idea that others have posted as well to use them for "educational" spending (that is... to educate others!... ex... giving a Susan B., a few bicentennial halves, and a Sacajawea or some combo (or a roll of shiny 2010's) as a tip.

Just my 2 cents!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:29 am

Pennybug wrote:My thoughts... can you afford to keep them? They may not be valuable right now... but you never know in the future! I bought a roll of halves the other day and they were 100% bi-centennials. OK... maybe there not worth anything now... but for 10 bucks... I can hold on to them for a bit and see. I do that with... for lack of better terminology... medium rare coins. Is a roll of 2010 coins rare or valuable? Not really... but... how often do you find them? I've never seen one! There at least rare to me! Sacajawea, Susan B., etc. I collect them all if and when I can afford to. After all... I only have their face amount in them. I like the idea that others have posted as well to use them for "educational" spending (that is... to educate others!... ex... giving a Susan B., a few bicentennial halves, and a Sacajawea or some combo (or a roll of shiny 2010's) as a tip.

Just my 2 cents!

@Pennybug,
Thank you for weighing in with your opinion. Yes, I can afford to keep the coins. They are only $4.50 face in pennies so neither the amount or space requiement is extreme. However, I would rather keep turning my inventory to find more pre-1982s so I will try to buy some more pennies tomorrow and see what I get. If I receive more of the same, I will probably just give them back to the credit union. (I buy and return at different institutions.)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby involuntary tentacle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:35 am

catch and release the zincs
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:54 am

involuntary tentacle wrote:catch and release the zincs

Let me just get the hook out of there...almost done...there, it's out.

Actually, I'm going to hold on to them for just a few days to see what my next few purchases at the bank look like. Or until somebody on this forum offers me a nice premium for them. :lol:
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby ScottyTX » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:09 am

shinnosuke wrote:
involuntary tentacle wrote:catch and release the zincs

Let me just get the hook out of there...almost done...there, it's out.

Actually, I'm going to hold on to them for just a few days to see what my next few purchases at the bank look like. Or until somebody on this forum offers me a nice premium for them. :lol:

I was selling some 25.00 dollar bank boxes for 35.00-40.00 at one point, its hardly worth the effort to list them, ship them, and pay the fees. I'm guessing you won't find any takers here for your zinc's over face + shipping :)
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:45 pm

for another 5 dollars you could get a box of cents....keep the zincs or dump 'em, its up to you...nuthin special there...but a 2010 box might make it on feebay but even the boxes are winding down like what Scotty said...make you a teeter toter thing to descriminate against the '82 zincs.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby jasmatk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:28 pm

take them to a lake and see how far you can skip them
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Keep them until they grow up. If you don't need the money hold them for future barter. Although the mintage on these was high it cant hurt to hold a few rolls.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tinhorn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 pm

I'd dump the zincs, but that's me. If I was YOU, I'd download irfanview ( free at www.irfanview.com ). I've used it for years to resize images. Open the image in irfanview, then click Image>Resize. It'll also do batch conversions, like when I take a bunch of pics for Ebay. File>Batch Conversion, select the files, make all your adjustments, click Start, then cross your fingers that you didn't mess something up. For general graphics work I use getpaint.net. Also free, and a nice program.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Thanks to all for the advice. tinhorn thanks for the info on manipulating images.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby exbingoaddict » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:50 am

You know how many rolls of 2010 BU rolls are out there? A ton, maybe several tons. Heck, I picked up two boxes myself last year of all BU 2010 rolls, never opened. Sold em on Ebay to guys that are going to sit on them. Their waiting for the price to rise. And if there is suddenly a demand for 2010 BU penny rolls, what will happen? The market will get flooded with them and the price will come back down. Because again, there's a ton of them out there.

Hold em, cash em out, that's up to you. You offer me a roll of dirty old copper cents vs 2010 shiny ones. I'll take the old coppers everyday that ends in Y. I'll step off my soap back now. :mrgreen:
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:19 pm

I just picked up 2 boxes today of those. I'm thinking I may hold on to one... I mean... if you were going to hold on to zincolons (minus 2009's)... I kinda think these would be the ones to hold on to. I don't think I'll keep them both though. I'm thinking I'm going to do something nutty with the other box like go out to eat and buy a nice steak and pay for it with a box of NICE and SHINNY 2010's. Not real sure how I'll get it in the restaurant though...
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:27 pm

I opened a box tonight and saw all bright new pennies with the shields. I was about to jump for joy thinking I got a new box of 2011s, only to discover that they were all 2010s. Oh well, I think I'll just keep it. 2010 was the first year of the new shield penny so maybe someday they'll be worth something...at least more than $25!
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:28 pm

If anyone is interested....

Take a look here.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby AdamsSamoa » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:57 am

Heck,

I would keep em.
AdamsSamoa
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing