question on selling copper cents

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

question on selling copper cents

Postby jrf30 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:19 am

I'm in a quandary, so I'll ask here, and get some opinions. :-)

I have some copper cents. A fair amount. I used to sell them on ebay and Craig'slist for 1.6X face. Then 1.5X and finally 1.4X face. When copper kept going down I stopped selling and started hoarding. Figured it was fine, and someday when prices went back up I'd sell again. I didn't want to sell at 1.25X face. (HA. If I knew then what i know now. Right?)

Now I have decided that in the (somewhat near) future I am going to MOVE. I don't want to take the pennies, as the move is charged by WEIGHT, and I'll be moving a long interstate distance. So I need to unload. I have about 1.2 tons (my estimate) left at this time after doing some sales these last two weeks. I don't want to put them back on Ebay, as the fees eat up so much and the prices are pretty low. I put some on Craigslist, which is where the sales have been the last two weeks, but I've have had five people say they want them "all" and then when I respond I never hear from them again. Except one guy, who first said he would take all I hvae, and when I mentioned it was about $3,500 face (Again. AN estimate) he said he wanted $10 or so. After all, that was a huge 1,000 pennies. LOL then he wanted me to meet him about 25 miles away. that deal didn't happen.

I'm thinking of selling them off at 1.1X face. yes I know. that is CHEAP. But, the market seems so DEAD right now! I asked Adam but even he is not buying right now. I see where someone dumped 5,000 pennies back to the bank. Yikes! SOmeone else said they were letting $3,000 in pennies loose in TN this month. At the bank. That's a lot of copper going back into the system. Just crazy.

So ... do you think I can even GET 1.1X face? Are copper pennies selling at ALL that you know of? Or do I need to bite the bullet and throw them back? I'll start sorting again when I get settled but don't want to take them with me for the cost of the move. So they shall stay in Phoenix. Or get sold to someone somewhere. But here's my question to you guys: Is there a market at ALL right now for these things? You guys have been on this site a lot longer than I have, so I ask if you think there is a market, since I am forced to sell at this terrible timing.

Thoughts?
jrf30

Re: question on selling copper cents

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:39 am

You have my empathy. I just moved cross town and only had about $1,000 face. They were the only thing the hired help complained about moving. Oh, well the books too but not near as much.

As for "is there a market" I've only stacked and purchased from others but, @ 1.1 X face shipped I'd take a CTU or two. I also live in the Syracuse area of NY so not sure you'd make a profit by sending them to me via USPS. But, I understand they fit in one of those postal mailers rather nicely. And given your newness and lack of feedback, you'd ship first. We'd have to renegotiate a lower price if it had a lot of ugly Abes in it. I hate having to sort them out when they look like they came out of a fountain.

Wow, I just reread the above. Doesn't sound like much of a market out there. Good luck.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby fasteddy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:14 pm

Whereabouts are you....maybe a RC'er close to you will purchases @ 1.1fv.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby JadeDragon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:53 pm

He said Phoenix.
Someone should buy these - I would but I'd have to illegally export them to Canada

They don't take up a lot of space... consider putting them in your car, or storing with a local family member. Hate to see them thrown back in the bank.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
JadeDragon
Realcent Moderator

Postby chris6084 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:26 pm

I feel for you. I just moved half way across the country.

I sold most of my copper for a small profit on eBay, and I was lucky enough to have a local buyer buy everything I had left for a very small profit plus lunch.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby drofdrugs » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:29 pm

I think I would find some way to take them with me. Maybe a small tow behind uhaul trailer or something. They are always good as emergency savings if nothing else. Good luck!
drofdrugs

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:00 pm

It is crazy if you can't get rid of them for 1.1. Sad times for penny sorters. I'd buy some if I was in your area. There has got to be someone around there who would want them for that.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:00 pm

Im not sure if high roller is still buying but maybe check with him?
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby smackvay » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:32 pm

high roller is buying literally tons of them I read on here the other day
I would buy them as an investment if you were closer to me
dang it

Mike
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:33 am

PM sent. I know of a dealer in the Phoenix area.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby jrf30 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:51 pm

Update.

talked to highroller. he is not buying at this time. talked to the two leads I was given locally here. Both not buying. One even said no at 1.0X face, just so I could unload them. I'll keep at it, but just not a good time. I'll post on Craigs list under it gets closer to time, and then give back whatever I don't sell.

As for taking them with me, I'll be putting my silver and other valuables in the car with me, not my copper. Too many truly valuable things that take priority over something that is worth 10% more than what I can get at the bank with no effort. Plus, my truck would be overloaded just with copper if I tried to take it all.

But I really appreciate all the suggestions. And I'll pass on sending them out to someone in NY and sending first without payment, having them scrutinized for any issues and just being treated below what I'll accept in standards. I know you are trying to protect yourself, but that is so skewed that I'll pass. Especially on just 1 or 2 CTU. Best of luck to you, but no thanks at this time from me. No hard feelings.

Back to CL with these. :-) Love the board here though. And even though I might be new "here", I'm not new to the industry, and if asked could have given some solid referrals. Just saying.
jrf30

Postby misteroman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:37 pm

I will be doing a long distance move myself soon and trying to figure out what to do with mine as well. I unfortunately inherited my childhood home 2 yrs ago unexpectedly and will never sell it so may just put them there. Will take many truckloads and probably a few broken backs but seems like the best plan as soon as the weather breaks. Thank God I didn't store in the 55 gal drums as that would've been horrible to take back out.
Good luck to you as well!
D
misteroman

Postby TXBullion » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:46 pm

misteroman wrote:I will be doing a long distance move myself soon and trying to figure out what to do with mine as well. I unfortunately inherited my childhood home 2 yrs ago unexpectedly and will never sell it so may just put them there. Will take many truckloads and probably a few broken backs but seems like the best plan as soon as the weather breaks. Thank God I didn't store in the 55 gal drums as that would've been horrible to take back out.
D

Unless you put the drums on pallets , then you could just use a fork lift pallet jack and make it east.
TXBullion

Postby TXSTARFIRE » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:21 pm

TXBullion wrote:
misteroman wrote:I will be doing a long distance move myself soon and trying to figure out what to do with mine as well. I unfortunately inherited my childhood home 2 yrs ago unexpectedly and will never sell it so may just put them there. Will take many truckloads and probably a few broken backs but seems like the best plan as soon as the weather breaks. Thank God I didn't store in the 55 gal drums as that would've been horrible to take back out.
D

Unless you put the drums on pallets , then you could just use a fork lift pallet jack and make it east.

Unless they are in your basement. :shock:
TXSTARFIRE
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Catfish4u » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:00 pm

I would pay 1.2 cents each shipped/delivered.
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:55 pm

TXBullion wrote:
D

That still doesn't get them OUT of the barrel. It was quite the task trying to get 1,000 lb barrels up 3 feet in the air when barrels have nothing for the forklift to grab on to (rigged up some nylon straps and proceeded to wing it like a Red Green Show handyman's corner sketch), turn them over into coin bins, so that the bins could be dumped into hopper, and from hopper to ballistic sack. We risked death by copper-crushing for you Jack :lol:
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:09 pm

A good shop vac would work getting them out of the barrel
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby xippi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:35 pm

Thogey wrote:A good shop vac would work getting them out of the barrel

how about a good sawsall and a dull... i mean sharp blade?
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby TXBullion » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:10 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:
TXBullion wrote:
D

That still doesn't get them OUT of the barrel. It was quite the task trying to get 1,000 lb barrels up 3 feet in the air when barrels have nothing for the forklift to grab on to (rigged up some nylon straps and proceeded to wing it like a Red Green Show handyman's corner sketch), turn them over into coin bins, so that the bins could be dumped into hopper, and from hopper to ballistic sack. We risked death by copper-crushing for you Jack :lol:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Im sure that can be used in some variation , angle to tilt in but if you don't use barrels regularly then not worth it.

:wave:
TXBullion

Postby Shazbot57 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:22 pm

Don't know if you've already moved, or sold/disposed of the pennies, but thought it was worth asking, "to what area are you moving"?
Shazbot57
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:44 pm

TXBullion wrote:
AGgressive Metal wrote:That still doesn't get them OUT of the barrel. It was quite the task trying to get 1,000 lb barrels up 3 feet in the air when barrels have nothing for the forklift to grab on to (rigged up some nylon straps and proceeded to wing it like a Red Green Show handyman's corner sketch), turn them over into coin bins, so that the bins could be dumped into hopper, and from hopper to ballistic sack. We risked death by copper-crushing for you Jack :lol:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Im sure that can be used in some variation , angle to tilt in but if you don't use barrels regularly then not worth it.

:wave:

Sounds like Portland Mint needs some more material handling equipment :thumbup:

I have one similar to that for the forklift, and something similar to this which works with the forklift or the Presto lift or the chain hoists.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Merrill-Bros-Dr ... 1924125690

I think I paid ~$50 for the forklift attachment at an auction and the other one was on a skid lot I paid $90 for that also included some cool steel folding ramps, a 5-gallon bucket almost full of nice wood lags I'm using in my house, some steel cable I still have laying around, and a boat anchor I gave to a guy at the auction who help me load my winnings :lol:

We put the turnings from the machine shop (scrap steel, stainless, and aluminum) in 55-gallon drums so those things come in handy. Always a little more challenging loading open-top barrels though since they tend to squeeze into an oval.
natsb88

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing