How much will Pex tubing hurt copper demand?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

How much will Pex tubing hurt copper demand?

Postby Recyclersteve » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:58 pm

I don't know how much people have heard about Pex tubing, but I'm wondering how much it is going to hurt demand for copper. It is supposedly much cheaper and easier to work with than copper. I spoke with someone in California who said it has been used there for about 5-6 years. Ironically, that coincides with the high price of copper. I've also heard that some states won't allow it to be used, but of course that can change. Anyone have any info on this?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: How much will Pex tubing hurt copper demand?

Postby natsb88 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:58 am

Very rarely is copper used in new construction here. It's pretty much all PEX. Cheaper and much faster to install. Been around a lot longer than 5-6 years. My dad and I re-plumbed a house with it ~10 years ago, and it wasn't new then. You can certainly still get copper if you want it, but you'll pay a hefty premium.
natsb88

Postby Landrover » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:02 am

I replaced all the copper in my house and cabin. It IS cheaper and easy to work with. The money I got for the copper in my house nearly paid for the re-plumb job.
Landrover
Penny Collector Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:14 pm

Would Pex tubing handle hot and cold temps as well as copper?
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve

Postby RodoubleB » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:15 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I don't know how much people have heard about Pex tubing, but I'm wondering how much it is going to hurt demand for copper. It is supposedly much cheaper and easier to work with than copper. I spoke with someone in California who said it has been used there for about 5-6 years. Ironically, that coincides with the high price of copper. I've also heard that some states won't allow it to be used, but of course that can change. Anyone have any info on this?

Im in the construction industry. Pex has been used for quite some time now. Copper is still used for line sets in certain places, as well as main lines in larger buildings.
RodoubleB

Postby smackvay » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:36 am

we use ALOT of copper in line sets for HVAC systems and ALL new construction uses pex for the most part
im sitting on around 3,000 pounds of copper, when/if she hits $2 im selling it all
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wolvesdad » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:58 pm

But mainly, isnt PEX just replacing PVC. So I din't see it affecting copper prices mire than a half percent or so.

It IS MUCH EASIER to work with than PVC or copper.

Not sure of health concerns. I'd rather copper for hot water lines. But that's just me.

It seems to be a big winner.
wolvesdad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby messymessy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:30 pm

PEX has been around for a long time (10+ years?). Would you believe that PEX used to be more expense than copper? It used to be that plumbers would use PEX if they wanted to save on labor, and copper if they wanted to save on materials. Everyone started using PEX when copper pipe became more expensive. It was a no brainer.

To answer the original question, the use of PEX will not effect the demand for copper.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby daviscfad » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:20 pm

Plumbing used to be sort of an art/skilled trade.. It still is, but PEX makes almost anyone a plumber.. Those shark bite fittings it's actually all pretty amazing.. In North Carolina, PEX according to the plumbing code is not permitted, budgets passed off by inspectors everyday.. Reason being, nothing can obstruct the flow and PEX fittings go inside the pipe, instead of sliding over the pipe like copper.. Copper will be used in the mechanical/ refrigeration world for a while.. There are other options for piping, than copper on mechanical systems, but copper seems to be the preferred method
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing