Dumping zinc at Coinstar for Home Depot credit

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Dumping zinc at Coinstar for Home Depot credit

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:12 pm

Here's a tip I wanted to share with other sorts here looking for ways to dump there zinc cents. Use the Home Depot gift card option from Coinstar. Only selected Coinstar machines have this option so you will need to go to the Coinstar website to find a machine near you that has it. Here's the link:
https://www.coinstar.com/kioskfinder/thehomedepot

Take the eGift card with you to Home Depot the next time you need to make a purchase there and be sure to use their self checkout machines. The checkout machine will read the bar code from the eGift card making payment super easy. And here's the best part... If the balance remaining on the eGift card falls below $10 the machine will give you the balance in cash.

Last weekend I was doing yard work and needed to pick something up from Home Depot. I grabbed a small bag of zinc cents I had recently sorted and stopped by the Coinstar machine at CVS on the way to Home Depot. It only took a few minutes for the machine to count the $19+ in coins and print the eGift card. I made my purchase at Home Depot which was less than the amount of the eGift card so the machine gave me back a $5 bill and change. Not a bad way to get rid of some extra zinc cents while making a purchase I was already going to make.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Dumping zinc at Coinstar for Home Depot credit

Postby Chief » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:24 pm

Sweet! Thanks for sharing this.
Chief
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby xippi » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:33 pm

+1

HD is handy. Might try that, I usually get the Amazon Gcard.

Check the coinstar web site as 2.5cents mentioned there are many other gift cards to choose from. all for zero percent "free" :thumbup: they also run promotions sometimes. like turn in 50$ in coins get X

The machines in TD bank machines are still there with there Out of Order signs still on em. :evil: :evil:
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:35 pm

The TD Bank machines are done for good. They are going to be removing them from all the branches.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby wheeler_dealer » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:41 pm

COOL!!! Just checked out the site and I am lucky as there is a participating coinstar where I grocery shop. Noticed there were a lot of businesses from my area to redeem them at also. Thanks for sharing two and a half.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Recyclersteve » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:18 am

Now I've got an extra dump location!
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

Please note that ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- sometimes substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:13 am

Great tip two and a half cents. I like the the cash back option.

One can never have too many dump options. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby chris6084 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:19 pm

Getting cash back for gift cards under $10 is a California thing. It was a law at one time, but I am not sure now, I think some retailers pushed back.

In other states, it depends on the retailer. Most will not give you cash back, they will leave the balance on the gift card or 'gift code' even if it is 2 cents.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:25 pm

chris6084 wrote:Getting cash back for gift cards under $10 is a California thing. It was a law at one time, but I am not sure now, I think some retailers pushed back.

In other states, it depends on the retailer. Most will not give you cash back, they will leave the balance on the gift card or 'gift code' even if it is 2 cents.

Thank you for the insight about the cash back option being a California thing. I found some more details on the California Department of Consumer Affairs website:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/legal_guides/s-11.shtml

Any gift certificate sold after January 1, 1997, is redeemable in cash for its cash value, or subject to replacement with a new gift certificate at no cost to the purchaser or holder. Effective January 1, 2008, any gift certificate with a cash value of less than $10 is redeemable in cash, which includes currency or check, for its cash value.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing