Scale?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Scale?

Postby justj2k78 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:42 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for a scale to purchase for my 1982 pennies? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but I would like something accurate. Any suggestions?
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Scale?

Postby inflationhawk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:11 pm

I recently bought this one and am very happy with it's performance so far...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ODPFXE
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:45 pm

If you reload, 1 gram = 15.432 grains.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennybug » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:19 pm

inflationhawk wrote:I recently bought this one and am very happy with it's performance so far...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ODPFXE

Ditto... bought the SAME one a few weeks ago. Works great!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby justj2k78 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:06 pm

Well, that's all I need to hear. Order placed! Thanks!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, team. I just ordered one for myself because there is a growing pile of 82s in my tiny apartment that needed some zinc elimination. If Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy...if you know what I mean.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:26 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Thanks for the recommendation, team. I just ordered one for myself because there is a growing pile of 82s in my tiny apartment that needed some zinc elimination. If Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy...if you know what I mean.

Too Funny :lol:
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:48 pm

I have the same scale, very impressive for the price, in fact I resold them to some other coin collectors for 20 bucks each.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:00 pm

ALL...

As for using them to weigh 82's... yeah... you can use them for that. However... I saw someone post a thread (an ingenious engineer/entrepreneur/industrial individual I might add) on how to use a pop-sickle or a tongue depressor stick to make a balance that would check for coppers vs. zincs. That's what I use because I find it much faster to use honestly. Plus... I don't want to put excessive wear on my scale. I'd rather use it to verify my silver/gold items. Just my 2 cents worth... and my 82 copper scale cost me about 2 cents to make too! And it's JUST AS ACCURATE at telling me if they are copper or zinc.

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/smalldates/1982.html
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:32 pm

Pennybug wrote:ALL...

As for using them to weigh 82's... yeah... you can use them for that. However... I saw someone post a thread (an ingenious engineer/entrepreneur/industrial individual I might add) on how to use a pop-sickle or a tongue depressor stick to make a balance that would check for coppers vs. zincs. That's what I use because I find it much faster to use honestly. Plus... I don't want to put excessive wear on my scale. I'd rather use it to verify my silver/gold items. Just my 2 cents worth... and my 82 copper scale cost me about 2 cents to make too! And it's JUST AS ACCURATE at telling me if they are copper or zinc.

Showed my wife your recommendation and now I'm in trouble for a big pile of 82s and for spending way too much on a scale. ;)
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:01 am

If Mama ain't happy.. eventually she will leave.

Once you get the scale you may find it is faster to sort using the scale rather than eyeballing each cent. That is what I used to sort until I got my first Ryedale. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:If Mama ain't happy.. eventually she will leave.

Once you get the scale you may find it is faster to sort using the scale rather than eyeballing each cent. That is what I used to sort until I got my first Ryedale. :mrgreen:

Mama said she was gonna leave me if I didn't stop sorting pennies all over the apartment and didn't stop leaving piles of coins everywhere. I'm gonna miss her when she's gone.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby involuntary tentacle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 am

bought mine from a smoke shop

CAMRY EHA701

cheap, does the job
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:05 am

shinnosuke wrote:Mama said she was gonna leave me if I didn't stop sorting pennies all over the apartment and didn't stop leaving piles of coins everywhere. I'm gonna miss her when she's gone.

Yeah, I lost one that way. Amazing how peaceful it was doing my sorting with no hassles. You hardly notice they are gone.. except for the quiet..and the constant plink, plink, plink of copper. Before you know it, a replacement moves in on you though. Maybe someday I will get one that actually helps sort the copper. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HPMBTT » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:08 am

Shinosuke....I can officially say this since I just got one, so here goes.....um, did you know that you don't have to weigh all of the 82s if you have a Ryedale??? :)

Justj2k78: When I 'used' to weigh my 82s, I used a US Magnum 500g scale that I got at a good coin shop for about $30.00 . You can get cheaper of course. I only use it now for foreign coin mostly. I just upgraded to a 'big' scale (max 330lbs digital, accurate to two-tenths of a pound), so I can now keep up with all of the big boys with 50lb bags of zincolns/coppers.

Hoard....Yep, I know that peaceful feeling...just you and your stash. :) At least the stash doesn't talk back or get jealous though if you take your time with it or if you grab a different stash. :)

Just Ryedale sorted three more boxes tonight. Plink Plink Plink..oh yeah. :) A peace of that darn plastic from the plastic Fed roll got caught right before the comparitor and it backed it up 20 pennies pretty quick..hehe. But I got it all sorted out (no pun intended) and kept rolling. One of the decent boxes tonight was: 500 Cu, 14 Wheats, 3 CDNs.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Pennybug wrote:And it's JUST AS ACCURATE at telling me if they are copper or zinc.

Wow. Thanks Pennybug.

(Bottom of page.)
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby inflationhawk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:27 pm

While the Popsicle stick idea is pretty neat and is all but free, it's far easier and quicker to set penny after penny on a scale that has a 2 square area rather than the end of a Popsicle stick. Or maybe it's just my coordination that would be the problem!
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Here's my high-tech scale. A moderate improvement over the pencil/popsicle stick 8-)

Actually, I'm done with 82s. Going to finish the one 50lb bucket of all 82 copper, then they all go into the zinc dump after that. Not worth the extra effort to yield maybe three or four dollars face per hundred.

Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:18 pm

inflationhawk wrote:While the Popsicle stick idea is pretty neat and is all but free, it's far easier and quicker to set penny after penny on a scale that has a 2 square area rather than the end of a Popsicle stick. Or maybe it's just my coordination that would be the problem!

Depends on how many you have (I have /maybe/ a dozen). It also depends on how much storage space you have. One of these can be made and dropped in a box with the misc unsorted, and still be good years later. No batteries. I'm also thinking how it can be adapted as a quick check for counterfeit coins.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:46 pm

Morsecode wrote:Here's my high-tech scale. A moderate improvement over the pencil/popsicle stick

Looks like it should work. Looks like the reference penny needs to be glued to the balance beam.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby CU Baker » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:48 pm

I sorted out my first $300 face value with a popsicle stick, move on to the ace, and now the sniper. Getting closer to that next step. Lets see, a cs-10 and a new reydale after that just one of hoards roll cracker 1000 to get it all on track.
Marriage is grand, divorce is a hundred grand!
CU Baker
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby inflationhawk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:54 pm

I've had the Sniper a week and I like it a lot, but am already thinking about the Apprentice.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:16 am

Popsicle stcks work great, they are fast and dirt cheap.Been using the same one for a year.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CardsNCoins » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:55 am

I have never weighed a 1982 cent.

Take a known zinc (1983 or later) and drop it on your kitchen table (or pretty much any hard surface) and you will hear a thud, then take a known copper (1981 or earlier) and drop it on the same surface and you will hear a light ringing tone to the sound of it hitting the table. Once you can distinguish between the too sounds clearly (which isn't hard), you are ready to sort your 82s. Never fails.

Nick
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justj2k78 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:27 pm

Can't be plinking my coins all over the kitchen table for a couple reasons:

1) I'd chip the finish up on the table, and my wife would kill me.
2) I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old. They sleep near my kitchen. When they sleep, I sort. If I woke them up, my wife would kill me.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Next

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing