Are we throwing away possible 5x gains with Zincolns?

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Are we throwing away possible 5x gains with Zincolns?

Postby palmvtree » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:34 am

A few years back in the Chicago Fed letter on 2/1/2007 François R. Velde of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago pointed out the value of coins and asked "What's a penny (or nickel) really worth" http://www.allbusiness.com/economy-econ ... 772-1.html in a four page article. Another gentleman Austan Goolsbee (who has appeared quite often on the Daily Show with John Stewart) on the same day (2/1/07) wrote an article for the New York times http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/01/busin ... d6&ei=5090 about rebasing the penny to substitute the nickel. I just thought I would raise the question and ask the forum the thoughts of this rebasment suggestion actually happening and if so, should we be hoarding Zincolns as well? The crazy thing is Nickel and Copper hoarding is already happening at a high level so will that lead to this possible rebasement faster? I know the idea was out there 4 plus years ago and still has not happened but we are getting closer and closer to an implementation of someone's idea to "change" coin composition so what else is possible? I am looking forward to the feedback and thoughts on Zinc hoarding now? If this rebasement would happen, talk about a great stimulus plan! But then I would think about all of the Zincs I threw away! :x
palmvtree

Re: Are we throwing away possible 5x gains with Zincolns?

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Interesting reading there. I don't know if I'd call Goolsbee a gentleman, more of an economic plunderer. However, I think this rebasement might happen when even more debasement of the dollar occurs. The coppers will be worth more than 5 cents in metal at that point so us miners will still be doing well. Eventually all our coinage will have to be revalued or it will be hoarded and melted.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby mrbill » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:24 pm

This is something I have been pondering as well.....I have followed Jim Rogers for many years ( he is a contrarian-styled investor and an advocate for commodities)...I have heard him mention zinc quite often........SO what would be "wrong" about valuing zincolns more highly?

Buying $100 face rolled and assuming a 20/80 copper/zinc ratio......that roll is "worth" approx $1.39...a nice "return".....you can treat rolls like nickels...sort out wheats, errors, etc.....or just hoard the unsorted boxes.....if copper goes up your happy....if zinc goes up your happy......if they BOTH rise........smart people would think you were smart! Plus think of all that time you would free up to sort halves or something else.

Just my 2.96 cents....a penny for your thoughts.
mrbill

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:10 pm

This happening would show that the USD is in trouble. I don't think we will ever see anything like this.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:03 pm

mrbill wrote:This is something I have been pondering as well.....I have followed Jim Rogers for many years ( he is a contrarian-styled investor and an advocate for commodities)...I have heard him mention zinc quite often........SO what would be "wrong" about valuing zincolns more highly?

Buying $100 face rolled and assuming a 20/80 copper/zinc ratio......that roll is "worth" approx $1.39...a nice "return".....you can treat rolls like nickels...sort out wheats, errors, etc.....or just hoard the unsorted boxes.....if copper goes up your happy....if zinc goes up your happy......if they BOTH rise........smart people would think you were smart! Plus think of all that time you would free up to sort halves or something else.

Just my 2.96 cents....a penny for your thoughts.

If one rates financial decisions as smart or stupid, and assign different levels of goodness and badness, I would rate this as one of the least stupid things you could do with your money.

There is some merit to it, and you aren't likely to lose on it, but there are so many more obviously better things to do with your FRNs.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:48 pm

i think this is highly unlikely. they already have a 1, 5, and 10 cent coin. whats the point of making the 1s equal 5? haven't you then just made an equal number of 5's obsolete? a more plausible thing would be to designate a dime to now be worth 20 cents - at least that would serve a purpose. they could then demonetize everything below a dime. both steps would be profitable. making a penny a nickel doesn't accomplish anything more than to just stop making pennies.

I think the first step is we'll see the nickel composition changed. then the penny eliminated. maybe the nickel eliminated. but all of these adversely affect the consumer CONfidence, so they'll put it off as long as possible.

it won't be long before nickels are worth a dime. when that happens, they'll start disappearing from circulation. its not happening with pre-83 pennies so much because you have to sort them. but with nickels it will be different. which is all the more reason to make them out of steel soon.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:18 am

The US government has NEVER, in over 200 years of minting, re-valued any coin. There is no precedent for this it is just some academic idea. MUCH more likely is something like what we see in Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Great Britain, Switzerland, etc - specifically, simply stopping production of the smallest denomination(s). Since no US coin has ever been declared void, I believe we will simply see Zincolns go the same way as the half-cent, large cent, three-cent silver, three-cent nickel, etc. There will be no re-valuation and no void, just cease of production and move to the dime as the smallest coin in production.

EDIT: to elaborate, consider what other countries have done:

Great Britain - reduced size of 50p, 20p, 10p, and 5p coins, changed 2p and 1p from copper to clad steel, and eliminated half pence.
Switzerland - eliminated 1 and 2 rappen coins, and changed composition of the 5 rappen
Canada - changed to clad steel from monetary base metals nickel and copper
Australia - eliminated 1 and 2 cent copper coins
New Zealand - reduced size of 50 cent and 20 cent coins, changed 10 cent from CuNi to copper-clad steel, and eliminated 5, 2, and 1 cent coins.
Sweden - stopped production of small denomination coins, gave a window for redemption
Norway & Denmark - similar stories as Sweden.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 am

My best educated guess is that the US will simply stop making pennies but will not demonetize them - same with the nickel. They will remain legal tender (like every other US coin ever made, save the Trade Dollar), but just like the Half Cent, Large Cent, and Three Cent coins, they will quickly fall out of use and prices will be rounded to the nearest Dime. Also, just as Mills (tenth of a cent) are still used in accounting and gas prices, so will cents. Electronic payments and checks will still be made to the exact cent, but cash will be to the nearest $0.10. It won't be hard, since vending machines no longer take pennies as it is.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:29 am

AGgressive Metal wrote: Since no US coin has ever been declared void,

Al contrar.. what about the Trade Dollar? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby exbingoaddict » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:33 am

68Camaro wrote:There is some merit to it, and you aren't likely to lose on it, but there are so many more obviously better things to do with your FRNs.

Agreed, there's more to financial life then metal.
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby misteroman » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:20 pm

I was thinking a few yrs back that they would turn them into $.05 coins but don't really believe that anymore.
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing