PennyHauler 2 - A new addition to the fleet

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

PennyHauler 2 - A new addition to the fleet

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:33 am

Well y'all know I love equipment. So this week I added a new piece of equipment to my operation. I wanted to spread the workload a little bit so the Camry didn't do all the work.. so I picked up this addition to the fleet. I call it PennyHauler 2. Always nice to get some new wheels. And of course I paid for it entirely in pennies and nickels.. though the seller made me convert them to Benjamins first.
This is a pic of it's first hauling duties. Thought I would start it off light with a single 69 pound box of copper being hauled to the post office this morning. The 740i seems to have decent trunk space for hauling lots of pennies. Seems to be a good luck charm too. On it's first drive-by a bank gave $130 in pennies, $152 in nickels, $250 in dimes, and $100 in quarters. I was thinking this load seemed kind of heavy as I lugged it out all at once in the one bag I brought plus the 3 free bonus canvas bank bags the bank gave to me. As I drove my booty back to the Penny Processing Center I did a rough calculation of the weight of the coins in my head and guestimated them at 128 pounds. I put them on the scale when I got back and they came in at 127.42 pounds.. not bad for estimating. I think I might have to start packing the cart when I do drive-bys or at least make sure I eat my wheaties. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Re: PennyHauler 2 - A new addition to the fleet

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:41 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote: I might have to start packing the cart when I do drive-bys or at least make sure I eat my wheaties. :mrgreen:

Isn't all that copper hard on the teeth? :mrgreen:

NIce wheels, Hoard!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:47 am

Hey.. I'm tough. How many guys do you know that lug out over 127 pounds of coins at a time in bags with no cart? And I love all kinds of wheaties.. a guy just can't have enough. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby HPMBTT » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:12 am

LOL. Nice set of new wheels that ya got there. :) Curiosity got to me, so let's do the math when you carried in all those pennies/nickels. Sorry, I can't resist.

Nickels: at $20K (estimate only) for the new wheels, that's 800,000 nickels. One nickel weighs 5 grams, so that's (800,000 * 5) / 453.6 = 8,818.3 pounds (or 4.4 tons). Um...I'm willing to bet that Pennyhauler 1 can't quite take that load, even if you have a hitch and a large trailer.

Then again, you probably didn't carry in all Ni; after all, copper is your bread and butter, like most of us.

Pennies: at $20K for the new wheels, that's 2 million pennies. One penny (zinc, of course) weighs 2.5 grams, so that's (2,000,000 * 2.5) /453.6 = 11,022.9 pounds (or 5.51 tons).

I take it you brought a semi 18-wheeler with you? Of course, it's less weight if you could have negotiated at 1.7x face. :mrgreen:

I love my wheaties too (yesterday's box 14, today's box only 8).
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:24 am

I cashed in the nickels and zinc over the space of a week.. and PennyHauler 1, the Camry did all the hauling. And don't worry.. none of the pennies were copper.. it was all zinc.

Here's a pic of most of the nickels.. before I sorted them.

I got 1450 wheaties delivered right to my PO box today.. not as many as I bought a couple of weeks ago.. but a nice addition to the hoard. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:31 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:Hey.. I'm tough. How many guys do you know that lug out over 127 pounds of coins at a time in bags with no cart? And I love all kinds of wheaties.. a guy just can't have enough. :mrgreen:

127 pounds? Yeah, man, you are tough! It must be all those years handling tons of copper! Are you talking about one of those folding, two wheeler carts? That would fit in the truck nicely.

There is this tiny little teller girl at one of my pickup banks. I always feel sorry for her when she brings out a $1,000 bag of halves, but she just laughs about it and says it is good for her. Coins make you strong!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:34 am

I have the folding 2 wheeler cart.. but I usually use the folding 4 wheel dolly.. 660 pound capacity. I always take that when I am doing one of my scheduled pickups.. but didn't figure I would need it for a drive-by. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 am

How about a pic of the entire car?

The part that really got my attention is where you scored $632.00 in free coins! How did you pull that off?
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:49 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I have the folding 2 wheeler cart.. but I usually use the folding 4 wheel dolly.. 660 pound capacity. I always take that when I am doing one of my scheduled pickups.. but didn't figure I would need it for a drive-by. :mrgreen:

Nice ride. I love the 7 series.

I put new shocks in the Astro. They claim to help keep it level up to 1200lb payload. Worked great with the 800lbs i had loaded in it.

Side note, the 500lb rated rubbermaid cart handled the 800lbs also.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:52 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:I have the folding 2 wheeler cart.. but I usually use the folding 4 wheel dolly.. 660 pound capacity. I always take that when I am doing one of my scheduled pickups.. but didn't figure I would need it for a drive-by. :mrgreen:

I used to work with one of those every day. It was large. I don't remember it's capacity. It stayed behind when I switched jobs. Great idea. My pickups are not that big right now, but they are growing. I will have to get one soon!
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:22 am

Are you just sorting the nickels to find silver war nickels? Why not keep them for the copper / nickel content?
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby TXBullion » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:46 am

I always get scared that in a car trunk, they usually have the little door that opens for the spare tire. How do you guys not break those when moving serious weight? or when you fly over railroad tracks at 50 and they slam down? :mrgreen:
TXBullion

Postby misteroman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:40 am

a beemer? now how practical is that???? should've gotten a 3/4ton suburban! will haul a ton without complaining and last 300k+ miles without even trying. I just picked up a 97 tahoe to flip with 312k miles all original and she still purrs like a kitten!
All in all, the 7 series is a nice ride but brutal to fix. LOL maybe you can pay the mechanic in zinc!
misteroman

Postby OtusLotus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Its always good to look good while driving around on your runs...

Its a dichotomy to the fullest!
OtusLotus
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:29 am

Judging from the pictures I am going to guess its a 1992??
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:19 am

You are pretty good.. it is a 1993 740i. Hauls pennies really well too.. I tested it out thoroughly Sunday. :mrgreen:
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby highroller4321 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:34 am

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:You are pretty good.. it is a 1993 740i. Hauls pennies really well too.. I tested it out thoroughly Sunday. :mrgreen:

Headlights give it away 8-)

Also you need to get bigger straps if you are going to fit a ton back there. :lol:
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:38 pm

I have a similar car (730i 1992) that I purchased used in Germany. Great carrying capability, plus the more you carry the greater its grip on the road (rear-wheel drive).

Keep hauling away....

Cheers,
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing