Customs

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Customs

Postby beauanderos » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:26 pm

I've seen lots of ebay listings that mention will ship anywhere within United States only. What's up with that? Does Canadian customs open and inspect all packages, perhaps damaging or confiscating what they decide is contraband?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Customs

Postby misteroman » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:40 pm

think they are afraid of scams and such. probably high shipping costs as well
misteroman

Postby VWBEAMER » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:47 pm

It's illegal to melt or export large amounts of pennies or nickels.

The reg is at the top of the page.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby psi » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Has anyone encountered customs issues shipping bulk coins from Canada to the US? I realize of course that there is no shipping ban in that direction but I was just wondering. Is it better to declare them as "coins" or something more vague like "collectible tokens"?
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:33 pm

psi wrote:Has anyone encountered customs issues shipping bulk coins from Canada to the US? I realize of course that there is no shipping ban in that direction but I was just wondering. Is it better to declare them as "coins" or something more vague like "collectible tokens"?

I have shipped coins to Canada one time, and it's the first and last time I'll ever do it. It was absolutely horrible. I tried to go USPS, but there was a weight limit on the large Flat Rate box. I tried to put them into small Flat Rate boxes, but the shipping was outrageous. I tried UPS, but they won't mail coins. I tried FedEx, but they won't either. I tried a Flat Rate envelope, but it was the wrong color. Tried a Flat Rate envelope again, finally got it to go through, then my recipient in Canada had to pay something like $200 extra because it was a transaction of merchandise, even though I marked it "gift." Apparently, had I also sent along a gift card, it would have been covered.

I will never try to mail any coins out of the country after that experience. Period.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:05 pm

Customs opens just about everything going into Canada. The trouble sometimes results in them not re-wrapping your package half so carefully.

I used to ship glass telegraph insulators to Canadian collectors...some made it intact, others not. Never had a collector in the States receive broken glass.

After 9/11 it got worse, so I stopped international shipping.

BTW, they get to make the decision on whether your package is a gift, so I'd be careful with that.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode

Postby psi » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Just discovered that Purolator bans shipping coins too, not sure why that is but Canada post appears not to have restrictions on currency aside from the $10k reporting limit.

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manua ... toms-e.asp
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing