Hoarding pennies is as lame as hoarding paper dollars.

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Hoarding pennies is as lame as hoarding paper dollars.

Postby VWBEAMER » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:03 pm

"If you could find a pre 1982 penny, it would be a nice conversation piece...."

http://www.kitco.com/ind/VanEeden/may082006.html

Guess we are all lucky that we can find pre 1982 pennies....and i even keep a few 1of the 1982 also...LOL :D
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Re: Hoarding pennies is as lame as hoarding paper dollars.

Postby doug » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:32 pm

Guys like that keep everyone in the dark longer so we have more time to find the copper.
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:32 am

My fav quote:

"You didn't really think the government would mint coins at a loss, did you?"

LOL!!!

Runner-up:

"Most of the pre-82 pennies have been melted to make the new copper coated zinc cents..."

This would be even funnier except that it's on Kitco's page, who, even though they are often enough too much like the National Enquirer, are supposed to be a legitimate news source for metals.
Let's Go Brandon
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 am

I love it when ignorant folks pretend they are so smart and knowledgable. Must take a set a large copper/zinc balls to rant on subjects you know very little about. "You didn't really think the government would mint coins at a loss, did you?" Hello? Anyone in there?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:04 am

Looks like that article was from 2006?
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:07 am

AGgressive Metal wrote:Looks like that article was from 2006?

Yep. Somebody should write the author and ask if he is still willing to stand by what he wrote, especially considering all the "conversation pieces" the participants on this website have found since he wrote it.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:14 am

Van Eden thought gold was worth only $757 when the market was valuing it at $975.

http://www.paulvaneeden.com/the.gold.model.updated
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:17 am

Huh. That was a worth a good laugh over morning coffee!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:09 am

He says it will cost 10,000 dollars to store and transport 3 tons of pennies...... I hadnt thought about that expense.... maybe I should re think this hobby.. :(
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:24 am

Diggin4copper wrote:He says it will cost 10,000 dollars to store and transport 3 tons of pennies...... I hadnt thought about that expense.... maybe I should re think this hobby.. :(

I saw that part also. That's very ignorant. If transporting 1 ton cost $3,333 dollars then milk would be $100 a bottle. All non-local ANYTHING would be impossible to sustain.

That's probably the most ignorant statement I've read recently.
barrytrot

Postby NickelExpress » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:03 am

barrytrot wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote:He says it will cost 10,000 dollars to store and transport 3 tons of pennies...... I hadnt thought about that expense.... maybe I should re think this hobby.. :(

I saw that part also. That's very ignorant. If transporting 1 ton cost $3,333 dollars then milk would be $100 a bottle. All non-local ANYTHING would be impossible to sustain.

That's probably the most ignorant statement I've read recently.

It was music to my ears, I plan to show that article to anyone who mentions they are thinking about hording copper cents to me ;)
NickelExpress
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Snake42 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:07 am

This made me lol.
Snake42
Penny Pincher Member

Postby psi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:59 am

I guess that was before the melt ban too, funny that he thought it was a lame idea even when you could melt legally. Typical fluff piece, just grab a few stats from the net and gloss over any missing information. He had no information on how many copper pennies were in circulation or what the costs would be to handle them so he just made it up. Coins supposedly last for 30 years so it becomes a matter of "if" you can even find one copper penny, yeah right.
psi
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tinhorn » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:24 pm

I agree--you should. You haven't got a Ryedale you'll need to be selling, do you?

I'm guessing a guy could buy an old school bus for under a grand, and use it to easily transport a few tons.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:14 pm

$10,000 to transport 3 tons of pennies. What its he using to haul them? I could load 3 tons onto my tandem axle trailer and haul them with my F-150 from SC to Cali, up to Washington, back to NY then drive home to SC and not spend half that much .
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Diggin4copper » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:54 am

tinhorn wrote:

I agree--you should. You haven't got a Ryedale you'll need to be selling, do you?

I'm guessing a guy could buy an old school bus for under a grand, and use it to easily transport a few tons.

HAha.. I live pretty close to you, so I see why you are trying to get me to stop... I will rent you my Rydale over the summer if you want.. when my boat is in the water I wont have much time to sort...Diggin
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:38 am

Van Eden has encouraged me. I'm going to write an article about nuclear submarines. The only research I have ever done was to tour a decommissioned WWII era submarine. So given Van Eden's backround on copper cents, I feel my limited tour has given me the knowledge to write on topics I'm mostly clueless on. Never let the facts stand in the way of a story. :!:
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:15 am

exbingoaddict wrote:Van Eden has encouraged me. I'm going to write an article about nuclear submarines. The only research I have ever done was to tour a decommissioned WWII era submarine. So given Van Eden's backround on copper cents, I feel my limited tour has given me the knowledge to write on topics I'm mostly clueless on. Never let the facts stand in the way of a story. :!:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Write all you want, I just pray no one lets you drive one!
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:32 am

3 tons is about 88 flat rate boxes. now you and your mailman will definitely have a sore back but I think you could get it done for less than a grand.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:16 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:3 tons is about 88 flat rate boxes. now you and your mailman will definitely have a sore back...

And a score to settle!
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:17 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Better to have me driving then working the weapons room. I might accidently create a reenactment of Tunguska. 'Hey what's code do if I punch it in? Uh oh...' :shock:
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:01 pm

exbingoaddict wrote:
AGCoinHunter wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Better to have me driving then working the weapons room. I might accidently create a reenactment of Tunguska. 'Hey what's code do if I punch it in? Uh oh...' :shock:

I dont know, those things dont have any windows... ;)
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Most people envision a ton of pennies taking up the same amount of room as a small car...LOL

I agree, it's better that people don't know yet, but one day it will be better if everyone recognized copper pennies as something valuable.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby exbingoaddict » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:07 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:I dont know, those things dont have any windows... ;)

What?!?! Next you're going to claim they don't have rear view mirrors and fuzzy dice. :o
exbingoaddict
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:05 pm

exbingoaddict wrote:Van Eden has encouraged me. I'm going to write an article about nuclear submarines. The only research I have ever done was to tour a decommissioned WWII era submarine. So given Van Eden's backround on copper cents, I feel my limited tour has given me the knowledge to write on topics I'm mostly clueless on. Never let the facts stand in the way of a story. :!:

Yup. And the Associated Press does it everyday! :evil:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing