CU makes another donation to help increase the hoard!

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

CU makes another donation to help increase the hoard!

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:45 am

Well, the CU where I occasionally dump a few pennies and nickels (when I can get there while they are open) told me Wednesday as I walked in with 4 bags of lunch money to run through the CoinStar that I might want to wait until Friday to dump it since they are having a Customer Appreciation Day and they are running one of those contests where the person that dumps the most dollar value in the Coinstar that day will win a prize of $75 deposited to their account. I told them that I wouldn't be able to make it on Friday because I have to work.. and I figured I only had a little over $300 in pennies and nickels anyway.. not enough to be competitive. I keep trying to get them to make these contests based on the number of coins rather than the dollar value.. but they never do this.. a real disadvantage to those of us that dump a lot of pennies.

So this morning I am thinking if I leave work a little early and catch the traffic patterns right I might be able to swing by the CU and at least make a small deposit and hope nobody else has a decent stash of coins. So I stop by one of my branches near work at lunchtime and pick up 48 loose baby dollars and 1 $1000 box of Presidential dollars. They had been complaining that these were taking up too much space in their vault and they wanted to get rid of them. I am always happy to help them out where I can.

I park in the parking lot at the CU and quickly unroll the dollars and drop them in a canvas coin bag. So I go in and run these and a bunch of dollars I had in my pocket to get in the running with a starting deposit of a little over a grand. I withdraw a thousand and go across town to pick up my weekly box of Brinks halves.. then stop by one of my other banks and grab $400 in quarters and $35 in dimes. I do a high speed sort and then haul the 2 bags of coins into the CU to run through the CoinStar. Another thousand plus.. putting me at $2,069 and change for the day. As I was depositing the second batch the manager came over and said "If I didn't know better, I would think you are trying to win" I almost feel as if I were cheating.. but hey, they make the rules.. I am just competitive. It's like taking money from a banking institution. I believe the word "landslide" was used when referring to today's victory. Sure it's nice to get a prize equivalent of 3 boxes of pennies.. but it is the winning that is the thing. Of course I made a deal tonight with another local member to buy some of his copper with today's winnings so he can add to his silver hoard.

I wonder if they are going to remove my amateur status and no longer allow me to compete if I keep winning these things. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Re: CU makes another donation to help increase the hoard!

Postby NickelExpress » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:03 am

You should go talk to Redbull about getting a sponsorship. Extreme coin sorting on TSN?
NickelExpress
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:04 am

We Americans are always capable of taking anything to an extreme... ;)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby pennypicker » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:55 pm

That's some serious strategy going on there...well thought out! 8-)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HPMBTT » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:15 pm

Nice strategy there, Hoard. :) I laughed when I read your story, as I figured that you were gonna go all out and win this thing. I have the same mentality and I would have done the same thing, to be honest. Great job and you better win. :)

Yes, I agree that it should be the person with the MOST coins, not the largest dollar amount. If a person hauls in pennies, then to me, it shows that the person really worked very hard to begin with, plus hauled more weight, and thus, should win the contest. :)
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyPauper » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:31 pm

That is way too funny.Great story.I could picture the frenzied sorting action in the parking lot.
I wish one of my banks would run this contest.I'd be there at opening and fill it with zinc.Contest over.
All I get is rolling eyes and nasty looks when I show up to dump coin at my CU.
PennyPauper
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby misteroman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:00 pm

Nice of you to help them with their contest!
misteroman
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing