Interesting conversation with the head teller

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Interesting conversation with the head teller

Postby jldco » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:11 pm

I was in a bank on the Arkansas/Okalhoma border today servicing a coin sorter in a bank and ask the tellers if they had anyone coming in asking to buy or sell pennies in any kind of volume or regularity. They didn't have a clue. Nobody really ever asking about coins at all for that matter. So, at least in that area there is no one even trying to get pennies. Only someone every once in a while asking for halves.
This is not a small town and there are three banks with in sight of each other. So, there are banks and areas that have yet to tapped by penny sorters. Although they may be in out of the way places.... :?
Just an interesting day I thought.
jldco
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Interesting conversation with the head teller

Postby slickeast » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:14 pm

That's good for you, means your percentages should be higher in that area.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby jldco » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:17 pm

slickeast wrote:That's good for you, means your percentages should be higher in that area.

The pennies I get from that area are at about 20%
jldco
Penny Pincher Member

Postby justj2k78 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm 99% sure I'm the only one hitting my banks, they seem completely confused with me.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Country » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:46 pm

Pennies are good in my area - 25% COPPER or so. Competition for SILVER is horrendous and I don't think there is much left. But, every region is different, depending on how many searchers there could be. In Virginia, there are lots of SILVER searchers, but I think less COPPER searchers from what I've seen so far.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby tinhorn » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:52 pm

Many tellers I've met seem to have no idea why I ask for pennies. Some have asked me, and I tell them I love to sort through them and pick out the old ones. I tell them about the defective penny I sold on Ebay for over $20, and mention that I'm a substitute school teacher. Teacher, white hair, sorting pennies--I fall squarely into the goofy but harmless old man category, which suits me fine. There IS one bank I frequent where I overheard mention of "the guy who just picked up all those pennies he ordered".
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:02 pm

tinhorn wrote:Teacher, white hair, sorting pennies--I fall squarely into the goofy but harmless old man category, which suits me fine.
Oh, yeah. Be sure to get a sweater and put leather patches on the elbows. :lol:
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby thedrifter » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:06 pm

tinhorn wrote:Many tellers I've met seem to have no idea why I ask for pennies. Some have asked me, and I tell them I love to sort through them and pick out the old ones. I tell them about the defective penny I sold on Ebay for over $20, and mention that I'm a substitute school teacher. Teacher, white hair, sorting pennies--I fall squarely into the goofy but harmless old man category, which suits me fine. There IS one bank I frequent where I overheard mention of "the guy who just picked up all those pennies he ordered".

You're now "that penny guy".
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby ed_vantage17 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:56 pm

At my pick up bank I'm the only one who does pennies. A couple of other guys do halves from what I've gathered in conversation with the tellers. I told them I sell old ones on eBay as a hobby. Not really a lie, just not all of the truth.

BTW - Getting right around 30% Cu here in SE Wisconsin.
Ferengi rule of acquisition #162: Even in the worst of times someone turns a profit.

My realcent feedback.

“Most Americans are getting hammered by high gas prices, yesterday oil hit a record high and politicians cannot do anything about it”. -- Bill O'Reilly April 23, 2008
ed_vantage17
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:29 pm

ed_vantage17 wrote:BTW - Getting right around 30% Cu here in SE Wisconsin.

Dagnabit! I'm only getting about 12% in South Texas. Somebody has poisoned the spring from which I sip, apparently.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tinhorn » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:36 am

Mossy wrote:Oh, yeah. Be sure to get a sweater and put leather patches on the elbows. :lol:

Summer's coming. I need some black socks to wear with my sandals.
www.silverandgoldaremoney.com
Press On Regardless!
tinhorn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:43 am

I'm only getting around 18% with CWR. There are others around the teller has told me, but I've never gotten a roll with no copper, but I have had some with only 3 or 4.
I believe the others are only looking for wheat pennies.

If I get the fed boxes they run 23%-25%.
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby chris6084 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:27 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
Dagnabit! I'm only getting about 12% in South Texas. Somebody has poisoned the spring from which I sip, apparently.

We are both stuck with the wonderful 12% copper rate. That is my average as well. I think south TX has one of the worst percentages both for copper and silver.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:24 pm

maybe the Cu is going into mexico along with the guns...
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:22 am

chris6084 wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

We are both stuck with the wonderful 12% copper rate. That is my average as well. I think south TX has one of the worst percentages both for copper and silver.

Rats, so it's not just my banks then. I guess I will start robbing liquor stores for higher profitability and better use of my time. Can someone loan me a pair of pantyhose?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CuNation1 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:44 am

I've been getting around 30% in MI also.
CuNation1

Postby bman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:02 pm

you service coin counters, how did you get that gig? :shock:
my old Realcent feedback thread: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=171
bman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:19 pm

chris6084 wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:

Today, I finally got around to weighing all my 1982 pennies since I started sorting in mid-February. I had a total of 1828 from that year of which 273 were too light for a good Cu ratio of 85.07%. That should bring up my overall Cu rate a bit.
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jldco » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:28 am

bman wrote:you service coin counters, how did you get that gig? :shock:

I've been doing that for a long time. It just sort of happened through selling supplies and machines in banks. Sell the machine and thenn service it...
jldco
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Dave » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:35 am

25 -30% in Western NY. I hardly ever ask for halves anymore because I haven't found any silver in a long time.
Dave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Dave wrote:25 -30% in Western NY. I hardly ever ask for halves anymore because I haven't found any silver in a long time.

20-25 % in Mass, and I just got the first 40% half in a year today... I ask but there are not many halves around here..
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing