Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Postby John_doe » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:53 pm

Last edited by John_doe on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Re: New member

Postby John_doe » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:57 pm

P.s I'm also looking for a good used ryedale, if someone is looking to sell an old one! I'm sick of hand sorting!
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby Corsair » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Welcome, John. You might try looking at this Ryedale a member here has for sale.

http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4475&view=unread#unread
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby realfoot » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:53 pm

welcome to a new member from a new member.sounds like you got it figured out already.
look forward to your comments.
in God i trust. all others pay with precious metals.
realfoot

Postby pennypicker » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:38 pm

Welcome to the boards. With a Ryedale you'll double that 500 - 700 pounds in no time. ;)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:56 pm

You have amazing patience to get that much copper by hand sorting. I lasted about a month, then I got the Ryedale Sniper. That lasted about 2 weeks and then I upgraded to the Ryedale Apprentice and I've never looked back. My only frustration now is not getting enough pennies to sort.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:00 am

Thanks for welcoming me to the board! You have no idea how many hours it took me to sort all of those by hand. :D
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:08 am

Corsair wrote:Welcome, John. You might try looking at this Ryedale a member here has for sale.

http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4475&view=unread#unread

Very nice looking machine, but a bit out of my price range. I need something in the 250-400 range. Thank you for the response though!
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:10 am

inflationhawk wrote:You have amazing patience to get that much copper by hand sorting. I lasted about a month, then I got the Ryedale Sniper. That lasted about 2 weeks and then I upgraded to the Ryedale Apprentice and I've never looked back. My only frustration now is not getting enough pennies to sort.

How fast does the sniper sort? I found one for 250 on eBay.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:13 am

pennypicker wrote:Welcome to the boards. With a Ryedale you'll double that 500 - 700 pounds in no time. ;)

That's the plan. I plan on having several thousand before they are all out of circulation. 8-)
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:38 am

You can get the Sniper for $130 from Andy. His member name is Ryedale. Send him a PM. He is the guy that makes them so your buying a new one and will get great customer service. It sorts pretty fast compared to what your used to, but no where near as fast as a Ryedale Apprentice. I'd say you could get through a $25 box of pennies in 2 hours with a Sniper. It would take about 15 minutes with an Apprentice.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:15 pm

inflationhawk wrote:You can get the Sniper for $130 from Andy. His member name is Ryedale. Send him a PM. He is the guy that makes them so your buying a new one and will get great customer service. It sorts pretty fast compared to what your used to, but no where near as fast as a Ryedale Apprentice. I'd say you could get through a $25 box of pennies in 2 hours with a Sniper. It would take about 15 minutes with an Apprentice.

Are there any videos on YouTube of this machine?
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby fenpark15 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:02 pm

You're aware that the Sniper looks to be just an electronic coin comparator, right? You can find these for about $30 shipped from Hong Kong on arcade parts websites. Solder on your own 12 VDC transformer (hint: read the labels on transformer plugs on old electronics to find one at Goodwill, then cut it off and solder it on to your coin comparator wire harness). You'll be "sniping" through boxes in no time (well, about 1.5 box per hour) without eye strain and you can even watch a movie while you sort. I'm not trying to rain on the parade for Ryedale Apprentice fans - it looks pretty sturdy and works right out the box. But DIY beats the pants off the high entry price of the Ryedale if you're a hobbyist and enjoy patching together contraptions.
fenpark15

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:03 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &viewitem=

My old sniper that I sold on feeBay with video I made.

Great little machine. :)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:13 pm

fenpark15 wrote:You're aware that the Sniper looks to be just an electronic coin comparator, right? You can find these for about $30 shipped from Hong Kong on arcade parts websites. Solder on your own 12 VDC transformer (hint: read the labels on transformer plugs on old electronics to find one at Goodwill, then cut it off and solder it on to your coin comparator wire harness). You'll be "sniping" through boxes in no time (well, about 1.5 box per hour) without eye strain and you can even watch a movie while you sort. I'm not trying to rain on the parade for Ryedale Apprentice fans - it looks pretty sturdy and works right out the box. But DIY beats the pants off the high entry price of the Ryedale if you're a hobbyist and enjoy patching together contraptions.

Having gone this route, successfully enough in the end (fortunately), from our discussions here I have to remind people that some of the Chinese comparators have some problems. Some don't function at all, and others have major problems with the anti-fishing feature. With a Sniper, even if Ryedale is using nominally the "same" Chinese comparator, at least Andy is running interference for you and you've got that backing that the comparator you are buying as part of the Sniper is one that actually works.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby inflationhawk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:16 pm

Plus Andy is more than fair with his price on the Sniper and once you are done and ready to move on or upgrade, you can sell the Sniper on eBay and more than likely make a profit on the machine. I would strongly recommend going with Ryedale. If you want to build your own as an additional side project, that would probably be a fun and rewarding experience. It depends whether you'll get more enjoyment from sorting pennies or building a mechanical device on your own.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby John_doe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 pm

I have decided against the sniper, and am going with the apprentice model. I am way too far backed up right now. As soon as I get the tax return In (any day now), I will probably buy one. Way overdue. :roll:
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby frugalcanuck » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:06 am

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4740

I think this might be a good idea to acquire a Ryedale
Last edited by frugalcanuck on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fenpark15 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:03 pm

inflationhawk wrote: It depends whether you'll get more enjoyment from sorting pennies or building a mechanical device on your own.

Good point - I'm more of a curious hobbyist than a coin collector or a bullion investor! If the copper penny liquidity works out, it will have been great arbitrage. If not, I still have my face value money. I'm just going to hold what I stash for a little while until Ebay net profit inches up a bit.
fenpark15

Postby jldco » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi John! Glad to see I have some Arkansas company! :D
jldco
Penny Pincher Member

Postby John_doe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:37 pm

jldco wrote:Hi John! Glad to see I have some Arkansas company! :D

:D
Last edited by John_doe on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancora Imparo

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Postby jldco » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:36 am

John_doe wrote:
jldco wrote:Hi John! Glad to see I have some Arkansas company! :D

I work in sprindale! Small world. :D

Great!
PM me sometime and we'll go to lunch!